Local anesthesia is “an anesthetic drug (which can be given as a shot, spray, or ointment) numbs only a small, specific area of the body (for example, a foot, hand, or patch of skin)”(Jones). A person may be awake or sedated when given local anesthesia. This depends on the extent of what is needed during the surgery. Local anesthesia has been used for over 120 years in the United States and “an estimated 300 million anesthetic carpules are used each year”(Mayo Clinic Staff, 2013).
In 1884, William Halsted used a local injection of cocaine that was the first peripheral nerve block in medicine. While cocaine is no longer used some of Halsted’s methods are still taught in dental schools around the world today. Procaine was later used in 1904 by Alfred Einhorn and was the most successful local anesthetic. Today the drugs brand name is Novocain. The most common local anesthetic today is lidocaine, which was developed byNils Lofgren in 1948.
Today, all current used local anesthetics are synthetic. Local anesthetics are classified into two different categories according to linkage. These two categories are amide linkage and ester linkage. Almost all injectable anesthetics are amides.
“On the 11th December, 1844, Horace Wells underwent extraction of one of his own wisdom teeth by a colleague whilst under the influence of nitrous oxide”(Cantlay, Willi...
... middle of paper ...
...If the child is crying or will not be still in the chair, the dentists’ first thought is to put the child to sleep. This is only starting out their dental experience negative at a very young age. These children need to be worked with at a young age and shown that the dentist office is not a terrible place. They need to enjoy their experiences while they are young so they will not be apprehensive and more likely to routinely go when they are older.
Anesthesia should be avoided at all costs if possible in a dental visit. Local anesthesia seems to be the safest and easiest route when performing dental procedures that need some sort of numbing agent. If sedation must be used conscious sedation will be the safest and faster recovering procedure. The only time general anesthesia should be used is when it is absolutely necessary and no contraindications are present.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The scene is a 19th century home; a man knocks on the door for his appointment. The door opens and standing there is the doctor in a stiff, dry, blood-covered smock. The man is there for surgery and the doctor leads him to his designated operating room. As the doctor sets the man down in the chair, the man sees the dry blood and sharp instruments. He starts to have second thoughts on the surgery and struggles to get away. Two of the doctor’s assistants hold him down as the doctor gives him a blow to the head to knock his patient out.... [tags: Medical World, Simulated Education]
1155 words (3.3 pages)
- The scene is a 19th century home; a man knocks on the door for his appointment. The door opens and standing there is the doctor in a stiff, dry, blood-covered smock. The man is there for surgery and the doctor leads him to his designated operating room. As the doctor sets the man down in the chair, the man sees the dry blood and sharp instruments. He starts to have second thoughts on the surgery and struggles to get away. Two of the doctor’s assistants hold him down as the doctor gives him a blow to the head to knock his patient out.... [tags: Medical World, Medicine Advancements]
1630 words (4.7 pages)
- This report analyses the strengths and weaknesses of a local day care which is registered on the Early Years Register and is located in Derby, UK. It is called Happy Day Nurseries Ltd. This report is based on the inspection dated 18/04/2015 and focuses on quality and standards of the early years provision, the compliance of the early year’s provider to meet the needs of children and the contribution to the well being of children and the effectiveness of the leadership and management of the early years provider.... [tags: Local Nurseries]
1286 words (3.7 pages)
- Anesthesia was developed in order to block or prevent pain during medical procedures. Anesthesia has been the backbone of the medical world for around 100 years now. Early anesthetics were primitive and many patients simply did not trust anesthetics. Anesthesia is still a risky process even in todays advanced medical world. Anesthesia is not used to treat or diagnose any specific disease; the sole purpose is to aid both the patient and surgeon through procedures. However, anesthesia is used in different ways based on the magnitude of the procedure.... [tags: Medicine]
1145 words (3.3 pages)
- ... Between the years of 1835 and 1843, Long had earned his A.M. degree, his Physicians degree, and became an American surgeon and a pharmacist (Boland, 1950). Later on in life, Crawford married a woman by the name of Caroline Swain. In 1850, months after the occasion, the two lovers moved into a house next to his office with five children. The couple not only each other, but they also loved all five of their children plus the other seven that came afterwards. Although, five of them passed away before they could even mature.... [tags: pain, gases, drugs, surgery, operations]
573 words (1.6 pages)
- The History of Anesthesia It is the last football game of the season and the running back suddenly breaks his leg. As John is rushed to the hospital, he thinks of how much pain he is in and how much pain he is going to be in for the next several hours. What John does not know is how much pain he would be in if the medic wouldn't have shot some type of anesthesia into his broken leg. John also doesn't realize that when his grandfather played football, there wasn't any anesthesia and the pain was excruciating.... [tags: Exploratory Essays Research Papers]
1046 words (3 pages)
- Food products of giant multinational corporations such as McDonald’s have huge impacts on people’s food preference since fast food became so popular and is familiar all over the world that people’s food preference are often set by their eating experience of the fast food in their childhood. For some people, the fast-food tastes become the standards. On the other hand, more high-graded restaurants that serve local specialties with the local ingredients receive stars on the Michelin and other restaurant guides for gourmands.... [tags: Local Food Movement]
1312 words (3.7 pages)
- Regional-based IHNs arise from the devolution of health care management to a lower tier of local government, either a regional health authority or a municipality. In the first case, the IHN generally encompasses two health care tiers (first-line and hospital care), but that is not necessarily true in the second case as some municipalities may be too small to justify having a hospital with specialized care. In both cases, IHN populations are geographically defined. The enrolment-based IHN evolved in countries with a system based on competitive insurance markets (managed competition model), where consumers buy prepaid health care plans.... [tags: Local Government, government, Healthcare, argument]
780 words (2.2 pages)
- I will be telling you my short little paper on the History of Anesthesia. I will be telling what some terms mean that will be used in anesthesia history. Also I will be telling a some dates from years before our time on how anesthesia came from and who was there, and what drugs came out. First I will be starting out with several definition of the term anesthesia. The absence of normal sensitiation, especially to pain, as induced by an anesthetic substance or by hypnosis or as occurs with traumatic or pathophysiologic damage to nerve tissue.... [tags: Biology Medicine]
3290 words (9.4 pages)
- ... Taking both parts of the experiment into consideration, we cannot claim we found evidence of local adaptation, but the introduction of foreign plant provenances did prove to have an effect on the survival of the plants. In the laboratory experiment we studied whether the aphid species S. rufula showed adaptation to its local A. arenaria population. Our results indicated a negative relationship between the maximal number of aphids and the geographical distance. This means that the local herbivores had a better performance on their sympatric plant population.... [tags: study, survival, non-local plant material]
1863 words (5.3 pages)