This paper focusses on the analysis of the importance of the security baselines by critically looking at the significance of this security baselines on the computer operating system, application system, and various computer network components. This paper, therefore, strives to provide the organizations that do not have security guidelines in place reasons to adopt them by clearly laying down the benefits that will trickle down to them and the security risks they will be protected against.
The security baseline is a set of minimum security controls that are required for securing and safeguarding an information system. The creation and maintenance of a security baseline is an ongoing process, and it requires full cooperation and support by some departments within the information technology environment. The main aim of coming up with a security baseline is the promotion and strengthening of the security of the organization 's computers and computing assets. The creation of a security baseline is usually in conjunction with the coming up with the security policy and the IT security department. Thus, the adoption of security baselines is a useful part of an organizations’ security policy.
A security baseline lays down a set of basic security objectives that any given service or system must meet. The whole process of security baselining requires the configuration of the information technology environment to adapt to consistent levels and standards. The standards for the various types of systems are meant to enhance the security of the host, allow more efficient use of resources and time and make it easier to provide the users technical support. This is necessitated by ensuring that the systems comply with an alrea...
... middle of paper ...
...onclusion, unless the various security baselines elements are addressed, the use of additional security technologies and other features seem typically useless. For example, if in a network, if a default access account and password are left active while on a network infrastructure device, the attackers need not use any sophisticated attack as they can easily log into the device and do whatever malicious plans that they have in mind (Bishop, 2003). This calls for a need for a network-based security baseline. The adoption of security baselines systems is an important step in ensuring more secure computers and computer networks. A secure information technology infrastructure is more efficient and effective. It is, therefore, important to convince organizations to adopt baseline security standards that will result to reduced risks by eliminating vulnerabilities.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Impact of Convergence in Security In today’s world of security many distinct measures exist in the vast umbrella of protection needed to keep a country safe from destruction. Since September 11, 2001 protection of personnel and property are a top priority for America. It takes numerous variables and different approaches in security being utilized to prevent such attacks from ever happening again. Physical Security and Information Technology (IT) Security will be the focus in order to grasp just how important these methods are.... [tags: Security, Physical security, Security guard]
1973 words (5.6 pages)
- The implementation phases seen in figure instead represented a flow of activities in the security program. The security program cycle involves in establishing information security requirements, taming the employee to know their responsibility by the requirements, built the authority structures to ensure Program compliance, and monitor and reporting of growth. This cycle helps in implementing the security program. 4.1 Intentional Goals for Security Program Implementation The goals for security program implementation are as follows Goal 1: Approve, Develop, and Promote of security Collaboration with many organizations will lead to approve, develop and promote the security policies of i... [tags: Security, Information security, Computer security]
2015 words (5.8 pages)
- Since the beginning of technology, the security levels have dramatically increased making the computers and information technology very secure places to store information. In the beginning computer security focused mainly on securing the computer and the physical system. But with everything becoming more and more mobile, security isn’t just about the physical system anymore…it’s also about securing the information that is constantly running between systems and being stored in clouds. This is information security.... [tags: Computer security, Information security, Security]
732 words (2.1 pages)
- Businesses and people are using Internet for entertainment, e-business and e-commerce, social networking, and communication to the people and business, but there have always been threats to the Internet Security. Internet security is major concern in field of technology, because there are various personal, business and government data on the Internet. Today every businesses and organizations have their own security systems to reach their goals of information security. Internet security systems are created to reduce cyber attack risks, reliability, maintain confidentiality, and compliance with privacy laws and national security laws.... [tags: Security, Computer security, Internet]
962 words (2.7 pages)
- The security models can be separated in two orders, specifically managerial arranged and specialised security models. This proposition, in any case, focuses on the specific arranged security models. In light of the deficiencies that exist in these models, tests of these lacks are: • The security models are completely based on products. In this case this is not an enough information as it contains a several components. By joining a couple of "secure" things, we can 't promise that the entire information system is "secure" moreover.... [tags: Risk, Security, Information security]
1141 words (3.3 pages)
- When an organization first starts out, they start gaining things. They have new buildings, offices, and equipment in them. Their buildings and offices have value. With everything of value this organization has, they will need some sort of protection to make sure the business as well as the employees stay safe at all times. The conversation should go from the “we have acquired all of this stuff, now what are we going to do to keep it safe?” Then the company needs to decide how they will handle the issue of protecting all the things that they own.... [tags: Security guard, Security, Guard, Surveillance]
1260 words (3.6 pages)
- Having a plan is essential, whether it 's at a school, within the boardroom or during a crisis, there is one commonality a plan. In fact, the security plan is similar to making out a plan book, which consists of a carefully considered series of actions to be implemented. It is always worthwhile to be prepared to take whatever actions are needed and whatever resources you need to address security risks. Even if a security breach does not occur, if people have information ready it can help you justify needed measures and to keep your place of business as safe as possible.... [tags: Security, Risk, Management, Computer security]
726 words (2.1 pages)
- Denial of service (DoS)- This type of attack occurs when a hacker overloads a server or network device with numerous IMCP (Internet Control Message Protocol) ping requests, such that it is unable to respond to valid requests. By updating to the latest service pack and applying security patches, you can minimize the threat of DoS attacks by reducing the vulnerabilities in the TCP/IP network protocol. Although disabling ICMP can remove valuable troubleshooting tools, it can effectively remove the possibility of DoS attacks.... [tags: Cyber-security, Enterprise Security]
3468 words (9.9 pages)
- Physical Security Physical security could be thought of as a very important piece of security. Just because you apply many different policies to have a lockdown on the software environment, it doesn’t mean that people are not able to just go in and inflict damage upon your network. Physical security is the measures to prevent or deter attackers from trying to gain access into the facility. With FTD Enterprises they have none to barely any physical security in place. The most security that they have is a locked door, which is also seen to be open during the night.... [tags: Security]
662 words (1.9 pages)
- Introduction The first thing that we must consider about Information Security is that there is not a final destination at which we can arrive. IT Security is an ongoing set of processes and activities that requires attention and expertise on a daily basis. It is important to understand that systems are not secured by themselves and it is our responsibility to maintain and improve them periodically as required. It is of vital importance to establish the appropriate mechanisms and requirements in order to support the company’s CIA triad.... [tags: IT Security]
2693 words (7.7 pages)