This paper will present to the Northcentral University Information Technology Supervisor research in the form of a report that will assist with determining the controls required to implement to ensure that data are secure for the university. This paper will summarize the security breaches of the Target Store Corporation over the previous year and make recommendations in the form of information technology security best practices to strengthen the University’s infrastructure.
Summarize Major Security Breaches
The Target Corporation was exploited in December 2013 and then again in 2015. These breaches included customer’s personal identifying information and retailer’s data. This credit card data breach is a prime example of weak security and infrastructure. This breach happened over the course of one of the United States’ major holiday seasons, Christmas. The security issue involved hackers accessing Target’s customer 's credit and debit cards by the machines that were being used to swipe the cards. These hackers accessed Target’s network with a stolen username and password from a company that was providing refrigeration and HVAC services. This company could access Target’s network `remotely to monitor energy consumption and temperatures. With that, the hackers uploaded malware software on the Target’s credit card machines. The customer data hack happened across the nation, and it was performed in stores and not an online breach of Target customer information.
Since this breach, the credit card industry has updated their credit cards by adding personal chips, new credit card machines, and Target having to pay out financial penalties to its customers more than 10 million dollars. Currently, the U. S. Secret Se...
... middle of paper ...
..., 2. 011). Emerging Markets Corporate Social Responsibility and Global IT Outsourcing. Communications Of The ACM, 54(9), 28-30.
Brooks, R. (2010). The development of A code of ethics: An online classroom approach to making connections between ethical foundations and the challenges presented by information technology. American Journal of Business Education, 3(10), 1-13. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com.proxy1.ncu.edu/docview/757070798?accountid=28180
Caruthers, R. (2014). Target scandal shines spotlight on US holes in card fraud technology. Fierce Finance IT, 3.
Mingers, J., & Walsham, G. (2010). Toward Ethical Information Systems: The Contribution of Discourse Ethics. MIS Quarterly, 34(4), 833-854.
Securing Your Network and Application Infrastructure. (2016). Computer Weekly, 2.
Target Corporation SWOT Analysis. (2016). Target Corporation SWOT Analysis, 1.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Security Breach in Banking Industry and Retail Business Financial technologies play a significant role in modern banking system. Most of us are familiar with internet banking and mobile banking. This technologies allow us to access our accounts, transfer funds, pay for our purchases, and even apply for a loan without leaving a house or an office. In addition, most of us prefer to pay for our purchases with a quick swipe of a credit or a debit card. No doubt, it is more convenient than caring and counting cash every time we go to a store.... [tags: Credit card, Debit card, Bank, Cheque]
1163 words (3.3 pages)
- Nowadays, information security is one vital part of a company to develop and maintain its information system. As technology became more advanced in terms of creating and utilizing, the more threats a company’s information system will face. A threat is a person or organization that seeks to obtain or change data illegally, without the owner’s permission and knowledge. In addition, a vulnerability is an opportunity for threats to gain access to individual or organizational assets (Kroenke 309). Apparently, a threat will lead to a company’s vulnerability gradually; Target Corporation is one specific example that has faced this type of risk in this case.... [tags: attacks on company data]
860 words (2.5 pages)
- Companies in the news for security breaches are now benefiting from their newly found hindsight via way of a lack of security point of view. These views come at a highly expensive cost and it should come as no surprise that many companies will continuously and gratuitously benefit from those views. The reason I believe this is because companies just don 't get it. At the cost of millions of dollars spent post compromise, companies rush off to apply band-aids where sutures are needed. Anyone with a connection to the Internet who has viewed any form of news site in recent weeks have come to know their names: RSA, Sony, Nintendo, L3, Northrop and the list goes on and on.... [tags: Security, Computer security, Security guard]
1083 words (3.1 pages)
- ... On the same day, United States Secretary of State Hillary Clinton issued a brief statement condemning the attacks. Dmitri Alperovitch, Vice President of Threat Research at cyber security company McAfee, named the attack "Operation Aurora". Research by McAfee Labs discovered that “Aurora” was part of the file path on the attacker’s machine that was included in two of the malware binaries McAfee said were associated with the attack. "We believe the name was the internal name the attacker(s) gave to this operation," McAfee Chief Technology Officer George Kurtz stated.... [tags: modern technology, security breaches]
1071 words (3.1 pages)
- There are four domains of vulnerabilities that may cause information/data security breaches. Information Security Governance, People, Processes and Technology are it. Hacking, stealing and copying information are the examples of breaches that takes place at times. According to the information security governance, success is often less, due to inability to value the the organisation 's information and data. This creates the discussion on the needs for security and the resources to be assigned to this.... [tags: Information security, Computer security, Security]
734 words (2.1 pages)
- Business owners will go to amazing lengths to keep their workplace safe while completely overlooking their IT security and their multifunction devices. IT security breaches cost the average company $800,000 in 2009 (Tattrie, 2009). Those figures represent a 97 percent increase from 2008. The $800,000 includes labor lost when a breach freezes systems, cost of repairing the damage caused by the breach, and the cost of replacing the faulty security. That is quite a large sum that is also highly avoidable.... [tags: Information Technology ]
968 words (2.8 pages)
- downloads. It was flexible enough to be conveyed through email and having the user click on compromising links. Zeus as a virus was very difficult to identify being that it uses stealth strategies to remain hidden. Stealth strategies are various techniques the virus uses to remain hidden from antivirus software or even able to mimic itself as part of the OS system. This virus targeted any PC with no bias of being someone personal machine or a corporation machine. “Uriel Maimon, senior researcher at EMC 's RSA, characterizes Zeus as particularly nefarious.... [tags: Credit card, Debit card, Card Security Code]
705 words (2 pages)
- Five Network Security Breaches Network breaches are an ever-present and growing threat to network security. There are many ways that such breaches can occur, and the following material will analyze five case studies. The issues to be addressed will include, what went wrong, how could it have been prevented, and what measures could be instituted to prevent a reoccurrence. Naoki Hiroshima’s Twitter Handle Naoki Hiroshima was the owner of a rare Twitter handle of just one letter, @N. The handle is rare enough that he had been offered as much as fifty thousand dollars for it (Naoki Hiroshima, 2014).... [tags: domain, worm, hacktivist]
1555 words (4.4 pages)
- Title: Unexpected Privacy Breaches from Technology Summary: Recent news about privacy and security concerns focus on "smart" machines, public Wi-Fi connections, use of biometrics by law enforcement and phone-transcription software. Devices with sensors and automatic monitoring capabilities generate substantial risks of compromising you and your family 's privacy and security. The Internet of Things -- meant to make life easier -- often only makes marketing and sales easier for companies. There are dozens of apps and devices that can generate security risks, and material about you is often used and published without your knowledge or approval.... [tags: Internet, Computer security, Internet privacy]
1009 words (2.9 pages)
- Cyber security, also known as information technology security, focuses on protecting computers, networks, programs and data from unintended or unauthorized access, change or destruction. Most aspects of our lives rely on the Internet and computers, including communications (e-mail, cell phones, texting), transportation (traffic control signals, car engine systems, airplane navigation), government (birth or death records, social security, licensing, tax records), finance (bank accounts, loans, electronic paychecks), medicine (equipment, medical records), and education (virtual classrooms, online report cards, research).... [tags: Computer security, Information security, Computer]
1059 words (3 pages)