There was a moment of silence in the room as the men sipped their coffee.
“You must have heard what happened!” Yusuf said.
“You mean at the Nahrawan?”
“Normally, what happens in Zimbabwe isn’t really my concern,”
The Minister, who was in charge of diplomatic relations in Africa, sighed and added, “I wish I could say the same thing. Our American friends believed that the military coup attempt was not necessary.”
Yusuf grew agitated, “Our American allies are driving me crazy. Wasn’t necessary, they said! We spent more than two years planning for a military overthrow. There were more than a hundred military officers ready to take over the country. Several brigades were ready for deployment. And what did our American friends do? They abandoned us completely. They never launched air strikes like they promised. No logistic support was given and the result...the result, my dear Michael—This tyrannous beast called Hammam Bosnin has taken everything. No doubt our American friends feel very satisfied now.”
“Yusuf, don’t get angry. Let’s sit quietly and think.”
“Think! While the death squads conti...
... middle of paper ...
...ned to his country on the eve of invasion. Perhaps it was his devastation over his wife, or the war that brought such grizzly character from within him, but Yusuf returned to his old habit of a womanizing and extremely obsessed in taking revenge on the dictator. Yusuf was certain that the accident was a setup, and used his influence to form an opposition group in Alnah’rawan, as well as becoming a leading figure in all activities against the dictator.
- MI6 Archive, Yusuf Alfalaky’s file.
When Yusuf entered his lavish office at the embassy on Belgrave Square, he first contemplated over his three secretaries, and then asked Layla—
“Did anyone call?”
Layla replied eagerly, “Who hasn’t! Do you want me to start with the reporters or the Ambassadors or—“
“Don 't...Just write their names down and bring the list to my office.”
“But sir, some of them are very important!"
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- In this article, the question of defining our national interest in regards to primarily national security but also economy and foreign diplomacy is put to the test. Former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice dissects and explains the Bush Administration’s approach to understanding and operating in the dangerous and ever-expanding world we live in. The article begins by explaining the importance of securing and maintaining positive and productive relationships with our global competitors. Rice explains the Bush administration’s approach to these tasks is seen as a necessity for American values and interests rather than the global interest.... [tags: United States, Barack Obama, Condoleezza Rice]
993 words (2.8 pages)
- With the defendant - the Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union – acting through the executive government, was the representative figure of the crown, argued that the authority to give the notice, by the Crown, to withdraw from the European Union should not be averted, the claimants - Miller and Dos Santos – on the other hand, claimed that the Crown was “over-stepping” its boundaries, as it clearly lacked the authority to give a notice to withdraw from the EU, without an act of Parliament providing prior authorisation.... [tags: United Kingdom, European Union]
991 words (2.8 pages)
- The way that the United States Transportation Secretary is unequivocally backing the "It Can Wait" battle, put forward by AT&T, is a positive sign however more should be done to give understudies introduction to the presentation around the nation. With a specific end goal to finish this, it is basic that the administration set rules and give support to this program or introduce one of their own. With respect to "It Can Wait" crusade, the administration ought to institute enactment to give subsidizing so the program can develop and achieve each secondary school in America.... [tags: United States, U.S. state, Driving]
759 words (2.2 pages)
- ... “In 1627 the English took theoretical possession without settling, but by 1632 the island had become a de factoFrench colony; it remained so until 1759 when the English captured it.” (Dominica: History) Battles between the two powers continued to be fought until the French lost two major consecutive fights. The final dispute occurred in 1805 ending in France’s withdrawal from Dominica. (Dominica: History) Following the trend of neocolonialism Dominica then proceeded to become a member of various organizations, earning more and more independence.... [tags: economy, battles, colony]
747 words (2.1 pages)
- Obama is quoted as saying, “Dropping bombs on someone to prove that you’re willing to drop bombs on someone is just about the worst reason to use force” (Goldberg, 2016). When Obama pulled back and did not follow through with his strike on Syria, “Leon Panetta, Obama’s first term secretary of state and a previous CIA director, stated that “the credibility of the commander in chief and this nation is at stake if he doesn’t enforce it” (Goldberg, 2016). Hillary Clinton said, “If you say you’re going to strike, you have to strike.... [tags: George W. Bush, Democratic Party]
821 words (2.3 pages)
- Legal Structure: After some thorough research, Deepest Needs Counseling would run as a Professional Limited Liability Company (PLLC). Since the sole purpose of the business would be to provide counseling services, The North Carolina Secretary of State (n.d.) requires that when a business renders professional services the articles be filed appropriately with the licensing board. The steps to follow would be to complete a Certificate of Registration Application and submit it along with a $50.00 application fee, and a copy of the unapproved Articles of Organization to the NCBLPC Board (NCBLPC, n.d.).... [tags: Limited liability company, Corporation]
790 words (2.3 pages)
- his administration. Once in office President Obama’s appointment of Secretary of State would illustrate his intentions of how to deal with Wall Street, to reform or rebuild. Two main candidates emerged to fill the position Paul Volcker, known as a regulator and being tough on Wall Street, and Tim F. Geithner, a former Bill Clinton appointee and who also spearheaded the Bush’s administration response to the initial crisis (Kirk & Wieser, 2012). Obama, to the surprise of many, selected Geithner for the position that would lead the administration’s negotiations with Wall Street banks.... [tags: President of the United States, Barack Obama]
1282 words (3.7 pages)
- The Commonwealth of Australia, created in 1901 when six British colonies chose to federate, is one of the oldest continuous democracies in the world and is made up of nine parliaments. There are six state parliaments, two territorial parliaments, and one Federal parliament. The country initially faced trouble with the electoral tradition that it carried over from its British roots, it later went on to create a system that would form the basis for the electoral procedures of many modern-day democracies.... [tags: Elections, Democracy, Election, Australia]
1003 words (2.9 pages)
- Marge Piercy’s “The Secretary Chant” begins the poem by describing different parts of her body as office supplies. In line one she states that “My hips are a desk.” In line two and three she says “From my ears hang/ chains of paper clips.”(2) In line four she also continues with “Rubber bands form my hair.”(3) I feel like Piercy’s goal by starting off the poem in this way, was to help emphasize the speakers frustrations toward her job right away. I also feel that by comparing the speakers body parts to office supplies, gives the feeling that the speaker is using a form of sarcasm; which explains how much her job is unwillingly becoming apart of her life.... [tags: Marge Piercy, Secretary Chant, poetry, ]
737 words (2.1 pages)
- Human Resources and Benefits Administrative Secretary V, Cecil County Public Schools (CCPS), 07/10 to present • Provide secretarial support to a five person Human Resource and Benefits Management team. • Responsible for multi-line phone system while handling daily workload that includes greeting guests, filing, and personnel needs. • Coordinate activities and responsibilities of various management team members; including correspondence and calendar management. • Responsible for screening all submitted applications for support staff candidates.... [tags: Customer service, Management, Secretary]
882 words (2.5 pages)