I awake to lukewarm water dripping down my forehead from a damp towel. I feel a thick liquid against my back. I scan the area, Unfamiliar. I find myself lying in a cot in a filthy room. The sight room itself was depressing, not that it was in extremely bad conditions but it was all…brown, the kind of brown that makes you feel depressed. It reeked of fish and motor oil, one of the queerest combinations of scents I have encountered. My ears start to pick up the deep monotones of a man speaking in other room. In my drowsy state I couldn’t make out exactly what he said but I did manage to g...
... middle of paper ...
... but I wasn’t paying attention and there was a crash. I came out fine but you…I could lose you. So I took action, I took every part that I could from that old hover car and I fixed you, I fixed my baby girl. But I couldn’t bring myself to tell you, to tell you that you were different, that you weren’t all human. So I kept it from you. But recently the parts I used that day were getting old, collecting dust you started to glitch and teleport. so I called up my old friend from college, we used to major in quantum physics together, and he told me he had some parts that would work even better than the ones you already have. He runs a fish merchant booth in the market.” He hugged me, fighting back the tears “I just love you so much” I hugged him back “It’s ok” I whispered. “I forgive you, papa”. I lied. Now it was my turn to give false joy, it was my turn to pretend.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Divergent, the 2014, action, sci-fi film directed by Neil Burger presents viewers with a futuristic dystopia set in Chicago. After a large war, society has been divided into five groups of people called “factions”. Each faction has their own specialty they are responsible for in order for their society to function properly. Abnegation is the selfless, Dauntless are the brave, Amity are the peacemakers, Candor are honest, and the Erudite are the Intelligent. When a member of society turns sixteen, they are required to take an aptitude test that will tell them what faction they are best suited for.... [tags: sci-fi film analysis]
1198 words (3.4 pages)
- Narrative and Genre in I Robot The film ‘I Robot’ is a classic conventional sci-fi film. From the outset the audience establishes that this is of the science fiction genre due to the synthetic bubbles, vibrant colours, short snippets of wires and menacing orchestral music. The film shapes the particular expectations of the sci-fi genre by summoning up curiosity and suspense. The first character the audience sees is Will Smith. From this the audience can establish that he is the lead and central character.... [tags: Papers]
1123 words (3.2 pages)
- This journal inspects the importance of creative decision making in various aspects of documentary production, examines whether those decisions help to make the film an engaging cinematic piece, and explores the influences it might have on the society, the cinema and the subject, in relation to my own experience in producing a 15min documentary film Hackney Pirates, and my understandings of relevant practice from the contemporary cinema. Introduction Films about education for children in critical situations have been seen in cinema since the 1990s.... [tags: folim, narrative, reaction, documentary]
2073 words (5.9 pages)
- A Comparison of the Establishment of Genre and Narrative in Two Crime Films In this essay I will compare how genre and narrative are established in 2 crime films. The main iconography of this genre is fairly easy to identify; props such as guns, latex gloves, sirens, rain are used frequently in Hollywood crime films such as Se7en (1995). The conventions of this genre are also fairly easy to recognise: detectives with long trench coats, the killer being the least likely character, huge urban settings and signifiers like dead bodies have successfully been used in films like Training Day (2001) and Along Came a Spider (2001).... [tags: Papers]
2376 words (6.8 pages)
- Genre and Narrative Establishment in the Opening of Pulp Fiction, The Krays and Goodfellas In this piece of coursework I am going to study, compare and evaluate three films in order to show how the genre and narrative are established in the opening five minutes of each. The three films I have chosen to study are 'Pulp Fiction', 'The Krays' and 'Goodfellas'. Pulp Fiction was released in 1995, it was written and directed by Quentin Tarantino and was star studded with the likes of John Travolta (Vincent Vega), Uma Thurman (Mia Wallace), Samuel L Jackson (Jules) and Bruce Willis (Butch).... [tags: Papers]
2175 words (6.2 pages)
- Features of Narrative and Genre in First Ten Minutes of Minority Report Minority Report has the definite genre of a futuristic sci-fi. Right from the start of the film there are genre conventions to show the viewer what type of film they are watching. At the beginning, the title sequences are contrasted in dark and light shades of blue and the title sequences move like water. The colour blue is used often in futuristic films because it makes everything look futuristic and digital.... [tags: Papers]
2310 words (6.6 pages)
- Genre and Narrative Establishment in Edward Scissorhands and Sleep Hollow by Tim Burton Genre is the French word for 'type'. Type is the kind of text it is. The genre of a film text may be Sci-Fi, Horror, Action, Romantic, Comedy, etc. In most films, the genres are combined, this is known as a 'hybrid genre'. Narrative of a film is the structure or order in which the plot (sequence of event) is presented to an audience. This piece of coursework is going to discuss how Tim Burton establishes genre and narrative in the opening five minutes of two films, 'Edward Scissorhands' and 'Sleepy Hollow'.... [tags: Papers]
1843 words (5.3 pages)
- The Representation of Genre and Narrative in the Opening Sequence of the Film Blade Runner For this essay question I am going to be viewing and exploring the themes of genre and narrative in the first 10minutes of the film Blade Runner. Blade Runner was first released in 1982, directed by Ridley Scott ('The Duellists' 1977 and 'Alien' 1979), Blade Runner was a film adaptation of Phillip K Dick's novel 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?'. Originally a box office flop the film soon built itself a cult following.... [tags: Papers]
626 words (1.8 pages)
- Service Corporation International (SCI) is an international company that owns and operates cemeteries, funeral homes, crematories and sells caskets, urns, and vaults. SCI is the largest owner of funeral homes and cemeteries in the United States and also operates in Germany, South America and Canada. According to Business Week the funeral or deathcare industry makes over $16 billion a year in the United States and is made up of approximately 25,000 small businesses that are sought after by large companies such as SCI, and a handful of larger corporations.... [tags: Financial ratios]
1034 words (3 pages)
- In this essay I am going to discuss about the topic: “Science fiction often plays off the real against the artificial, either in the form of humans versus non-human (androids, cyborgs, synthetics), or the world versus the non-world (cyberspace, inner-space, intentional space)”. I have chosen the films “The Matrix” and “Bicentennial Man” An explosion in information access and exchange is fueling the Information Superhighway that was created as a result of the computer revolution. If technology has truly become a god, then cyberspace is definitely its bible.... [tags: essays research papers]
2202 words (6.3 pages)