There are so many aspect and definition of scenario planning. “Scenario“ means an outline or synopsis of a play. The word scenario is derived from the Italian word scena, scene, that comes from the Latin scaena. According to Schwartz (1998:6) scenarios present alternative of future. Kahn and wiener (1967) defined “ Scenarios are narrative description of future”(Cited in AC/UNU Millennium Project) Porter (1985) defined scenarios “an internally consistent view of what the future might turn to be – not forecast but one possible future outcome” There is big argument on the scenarios, whether it is static or dynamic. Becker (1983) defined that scenarios are people imaging for future like photo. Although Wack (1985), Schoemaker (1991), van der heijden (1996) supported dynamic view of scenarios and they stated that Scenarios are the process of evolution that was linked to strategic devel...
... middle of paper ...
In conclusion, scenarios are related to future, according to some of the authors scenarios have a static vision, but for the others scenarios include dynamic aspects. Scenario planning is process of positioning plausible scenarios. Some of the author in this field using different name for scenario planning such as scenario thinking, scenario based planning. It includes two sides, first scenario development and then strategy development. O’brien (2003) stated that scenario planning is a soft problem structuring method and qualitative approach. Schoemaker (1997) stated that scenario planning allows more subjective element and macro environment variable than computer simulation programs. Also these methods include system dynamics and risk analysis. It is easy to conclude that scenario planning is a managerial tool of strategic thinking (Bood and Postma 1998).
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Scenario planning is a practice of predicting many, reasonable and uncertain futures (Hiejden et al., 2002).Scenario planning, which is often otherwise called scenario thinking or scenario analysis, is a strategic planning method that organizations use to make supple, durable and continuing strategies (Schoemaker, 1995) Pierre (1985) revealed that scenario planning is about determining what could possibly happen in the future. Mercer (1995) identifies that the basic concepts of Scenario planning are relatively very simple when compared to other management topics of study.... [tags: Business Analysis ]
2619 words (7.5 pages)
- Scenario planning combined with multi-criteria decision analysis in the decision-making processes with imaginary future scenarios that assist in speculating for the future uncertainties. Scenario explains how the future of the organization unfolds from the planned activities affected by various forces like: politics, science and technology. Scenario planning plays a great role in ensuring that the decisions of an organization cover the risks pertaining to the future scenarios, which are included in the plan.... [tags: Scenario Planning, Decision Analysis]
517 words (1.5 pages)
- The aim of this essay assignment is to answer 7 questions provided for the Managing Organisational Design and Change module. This essay will emphasise the overall significance of people management practices in managing successful organisational change. More specifically, the research questions gave us students the opportunity to demonstrate our understanding of the overall module, the ability to think clearly, present, describe, and evaluate our analysis of topics such as: Scenario planning, Strategic drift more importance on Total Quality Management (TQM), the quality Gurus such as Kaoru Ishikawa and his theory on Quality Cycle.... [tags: Planning, Scenario, Strategy]
3197 words (9.1 pages)
- Mary Atwood stated in her short story “Happy Endings,” “You’ll have to face it, the endings are the same however you slice it.” This quote reflects from a short story that gives the readers interest with several different scenarios with different plots that leads up to the same ending each time, death. This causes the title “Happy Ending” to become irony within itself because there is really no happy endings, just the same. The beginning even gives the readers the choice of starting with A to get the feel of what really is the true Happy ending.... [tags: Woman, Personal life, Love, Scenario planning]
1061 words (3 pages)
- Counterterrorism Plan Development Elected officials in each jurisdiction have a responsibility to protect its citizens from hazards and ensure their safety. When threatened those citizens expect leaders to take immediate actions to resolve the problem. Citizens expect these officials to activate resources, direct the response efforts of the entire community, including nonprofit and private organizations, and if necessary to seek assistance from outside the community. At the same time every citizen has an inherent responsibility to protect the community, themselves and their property, as well as their families, businesses and organizations.... [tags: Management, Planning, Plan, Risk management]
1074 words (3.1 pages)
- Management: Planning Function Planning is a major function of management. Planning may be the most important of all management functions. Planning involves a six-step process that assists an organization in setting goals and determining how to accomplish them best (Allen, 1998). “Effective planning helps an organization adapt to change by identifying opportunities and avoiding problems.... [tags: Business Management Planning Strategic]
1617 words (4.6 pages)
- PART ONE: EARLY CHILDHOOD 1. The learning intentions presented summarise the scenario rather than stipulating key skills and capabilities that will be achieved. The intentions should detail exactly what the outcome of implementing the experience will be (McLachlan, Fleer & Edwards, 2010). For example; through experimentation children will analyse and explore. The learning experience reflects the scenario, by providing children the ability to link knowledge and experiences from home with new understandings.... [tags: Education, Knowledge, Pedagogy, Teacher]
1021 words (2.9 pages)
- The Earthquake Scenario in Bangladesh As Bangladesh is located in a tectonically active much of the country including Chittagong, Sylhet, Dhaka, Rangpur, Bogra, Mymenshing, Comilla, Rajshahi are very much vulnerable to major earthquake disaster. Although, some awareness is raised among a limited groups, due to some recent earthquakes in the region, practically the country is far behind the minimum preparedness level to face such a disaster in any of our cities. Significant damaging historical earthquakes have occurred in and around Bangladesh, and damaging moderate-magnitude earthquake occur every few years.... [tags: Natural Disaster Bangladesh]
1296 words (3.7 pages)
- Decisions in Paradise Business Scenario The decision making technique to be applied for current situation in the country of Kava should be the ‘Six Thinking Hats’. Six thinking hats is a powerful technique that helps to look at important decisions from a number of different perspectives. It helps to make better decision by pushing one to move outside their habitual ways of thinking. It helps to understand the full complexity of the decision, and spot issues and opportunities to which one might otherwise be blind.... [tags: Business Management Analysis Strategy]
1151 words (3.3 pages)
- Strategic planning is defined by intestorwords.com as the process of determining a company’s long-term goals and then identifying the best approach for achieving those goals. But this definition is too broad and does not identify the true advantages of strategic planning for large to small businesses. Strategic planning provides the foundation for the policies, procedures, and strategies for obtaining and using resources to obtain the goals of the organization. Some believe that in today’s rapidly changing environment, strategic planning is becoming more difficult and therefore more obsolete because changes are occurring so fast that plans-even those set for just months into the future... [tags: essays research papers fc]
627 words (1.8 pages)