For many of us, the animals in our lives are our faithful pals who make us laugh, that keep us company and love us no matter what. But a man’s best friend doesn’t necessarily have to be a dog; I believe that any animal can be considered to be a man’s best friend.
On the other hand they are many animals who don’t have the same luck as other animals do. For those animals life is hard for them on the streets .Most animals on the streets often suffer from hunger, illness, tumors, skin infections and open sores. They would often fight over the limited amounts of food found on the streets. They seek food and shelter in communities and they are sometimes seen as a nuisance and health hazard by the people who live along them. Research shows that around 2.7 million cats and dogs are put down each year which is approximately one every 11 seconds. Often most of these animals are beloved and adoptable pets. “A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself (Josh Billing)”.
The main reasons animals end up in shelter is because owners give them up, or animal control finds them on the street. Also homeless animals are lost pets that were not kept properly indoors. Homeless animals outnumber homeless people five to one and one out of every ten dogs born will find a permanent home According to the National Council on Pet Population Study and Policy .Also less than 2 percent of cats and only 15 to 20 percent of dogs are returned to their owners when they are lost. Approximately more than 13,000 healthy or treatable animals were killed out of the 54,129 that entered city shelters last year. “One cannot look deeply into the eyes of an animal and not see the same depth, complexity and feeling us human l...
... middle of paper ...
...at animals come to our lives to teach us about love because they are the ones that make this world a better place. “The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)”
"TODAY.com." TODAY.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 27 Nov. 2013.
Shelter deaths continue decrease as NKLA coalition makes progress - Best Friends Animal Society Los Angeles." Best Friends Animal Society Los Angeles. 27 Nov. 2013
"Stray animals." Stray Animals. 26 Nov. 2013
"Spread the Word." NKLA. 27 Nov. 2013
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Pets can be very both physically and emotionally beneficial to their owners. Living with and caring for them can also be a great experience and very entertaining. Even browsing YouTube, thousands of pet owners record their little friend's amusing tricks and humorous incidents to share with the world. Although these videos or pictures can encourage your desire for a similar companion, many details to keeping an animal of that sort may not be evident. There is a huge variety of species available, from tarantulas to munchkin cats, with many ways to obtain them, but not everyone can handle a giant arachnid or endure changing kitty litter.... [tags: Pets]
919 words (2.6 pages)
- Nationally, roughly four million animals are killed in shelters every year. Of these, roughly 95% of all shelter animals are healthy and treatable. (No Kill Advocacy Center). No animal should have to ever be a part of these awful statistics. What will it take to help save these innocent animals from being killed senselessly. Animal kill shelters are horrible, inhumane, and overall completely unnecessary for multiple reasons: No Kill shelters improve adoption rates, all animals lives are valuable, and No Kill shelters save more money than other shelters.... [tags: no-kill shelters]
977 words (2.8 pages)
- ... They are just a nuisance and they deserve to die anyway. Just think about how much food we will have once we start killing these animals. We won’t even have to tell everyone that they are eating cats and dogs if they don’t want. You could add some nice seasoning and cook them just long enough till the meat is tender and they will never be able to tell the difference. So many people will love the way they food taste business will be rich due to all the people wanting this food. Then for all those people who have pets they won’t have to take care of them anymore.... [tags: household, pets, saving, enjoyment, die]
588 words (1.7 pages)
- ... All the homeless people are not gamblers and drunks. Society should now that. Citizens shouldn’t consider homeless people as vicious people. There are some really innocent gracious people suffering on streets. Natural disaster or other unlucky situations may happen to you, to me, and to everyone. US citizens mustn’t let government keep its shelters close for that unlucky people in winter. Government mustn’t risk veterans’ and other unlucky people’s life. Cold weather can cause hypothermia, frostbite dehydration and other serious diseases.... [tags: veterans, emergency winter shelters]
757 words (2.2 pages)
- Nationally, roughly four million animals are killed in shelters every year. Of these, roughly 95% of all shelter animals are healthy and treatable. (No Kill Advocacy Center). No animal should have to ever be a part of these awful statistics. What will it take to help save these innocent animals from being killed senselessly. Animal kill shelters are horrible, inhumane, and overall completely unnecessary for multiple reasons: No Kill shelters improve adoption rates, all animals lives are valuable, and No Kill shelters save more money than other shelters.... [tags: Animal Shelters]
922 words (2.6 pages)
- Problem Statement Overpopulation of pets is growing in the US by the numbers each day. Current Situation According to the article “Pet Statistics” by the ASPCA estimates there are 70-80 million dogs and 74-96 million cats owned in the United States. It is impossible to determine the number of stray dogs and cats, but the ASPCA estimates there are 70 million cats alone that are strays in the US (“Pet Statistics”). The overpopulation of dogs and cats live either on the streets and die each day, they live in a shelter and try to get adopted, but even then they die.... [tags: Dog, Pet, Pets, Pet adoption]
1281 words (3.7 pages)
- Parents often wonder what makes a good first pet. Hamsters are often the first choice while its close relative the guinea pig is often overlooked. While both creatures are loveable, the bigger guinea pig makes a better pet for children. At a pet store the guinea pig will cost roughly three times as much as a hamster. If cost is a large concern, pigs and hamsters alike can be adopted for little to no cost and sometimes come with free cages. Naturally, the guinea pig as the larger rodent will need a bigger cage; however, after putting all sorts of tubes on a hamster cage they will take up about the same amount of space and the hamster cage could end up costing a bit more than that of the pig’... [tags: Pets]
606 words (1.7 pages)
- Would you like to live a happy and productive life. Then get pets. I must admit it is hard to believe that domesticated animals can promote mental and physical health, but many studies have shown that they can. People who own pets have been known to lead longer and happier lives than those without them. As we get older, we become less active. The more inactive we become, the higher our risk of death. We therefore need something in our lives to keep us busy so we don’t die prematurely, and a pet is just the thing to do it.... [tags: Pets Animals]
444 words (1.3 pages)
- Simin Ling Professor Taylor Harrison Rhetoric 105 23 April 2016 Raising pets helps kids to be considerate Have you ever had a pet. As we know, more and more families have pets in their homes nowadays regardless of which country. Data showed an estimated 82.5 million U.S. households own at least one pet in their home. The American Pet Products Association, which is also called APPA, claimed that pet ownership by household in the U.S. has risen from just 56% in 1988, when the first APPA National Pet Owners Survey was conducted, to 68% as of 2013-2014.... [tags: Dog, Pet, Pets, Ownership]
1160 words (3.3 pages)
- Facts: Pets 911 knows that every community has pets in need. We offer a free network of animal rescue organizations and services across the country. Pets 911 is becoming an answer for not only the public, but also the pet animal welfare group community on how we in this country can all take part in saving those 5 million animals every year. Pet adoptions, animal shelters, help to find lost dogs and services to find lost cats - Pets 911 for all your pet adoption information - Thousands of homeless dogs, abandoned cats and other animals available for adoption.... [tags: essays research papers]
789 words (2.3 pages)