When looking into the reasons that would cause a twenty year old young man to commit such a horrific act, the mental heath of the shooter is nearly always the first thing to look at. Adam Lanza was indeed found to have suffered from multiple mental disorders, however there is no direct connection between Lanza's mental health and his decision to commit mass murder. At the age of thirteen, Lanza, was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome. According to www.oxforddictionaries.com Asperger's syndrome is a developmental disorder related to autism and characterized by higher than average intellectual ability coupled with impaire...
... middle of paper ...
... "A Year Later, 'Newtown' Still Echoes." Education Week [Bethesda] 11 Dec. 2013: n. pag. Print.
David, Javier E. "The Sandy Hook Effect: Gun Sales Rise as Stocks Fall." CNBC.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 May 2014.
Gee, Denise J. "After Sandy Hook, a New Wave of School Security - The Buffalo News." Www.buffaloNews.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 May 2014.
"Newtown Shooting: Adam Lanza's Psychiatric Treatment Revealed In Documents." Hartford Courant. N.p., 28 Dec. 2013. Web. 08 May 2014.
Pilkington, Ed. "Sandy Hook Report – Shooter Adam Lanza Was Obsessed with Mass Murder." Theguardian.com. Guardian News and Media, 25 Nov. 2013. Web. 10 May 2014.
"Revelations About Adam Lanza's Mental Health Still Don't Explain the Violence." The Wire. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 May 2014.
Robinson, Janet. "Sand Hook Elementary: Six Months Later." Interview by Angela Pascopella. June 2013: 50-53. Print.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- On December 14th 2012, just 11 days before Christmas, an awful tragedy happened in Newtown, Connecticut. Twenty-six people were shot at the Sandy Hook Elementary School. This awful event left a lot of unanswered questions and rumors about that day. The reason for that is because the shooter killed himself after shooting twenty young children and six adults. This tragedy open the eyes of everyone; made you want to hug your loves one just a little tighter, appreciate what you still have and never take a day for granted.... [tags: tragedy,violence, checks, gun sales]
2011 words (5.7 pages)
- According to Blitzer’s Rhetorical Situation the main components in a speech are looking for a fitting response, an audience that’s listening, constraints and a rhetorical response. (Bitzer, 1968) The speech that I used to illustrate what Bitzer’s rhetorical situation was the speech President Obama gave about the shooting that took place in Connecticut, at the Sandy Hook Elementary school. The school shooting took place on December 14th, 2012. A twenty-year-old man by the name of Adam Lanza shot and killed twenty-six people then killed himself; Adam Lanza killed twenty children and six adults.... [tags: prevent tragedies, parent, future]
527 words (1.5 pages)
- In the tragedy of Sandy Hook Elementary shooting, Adam Lanza, the shooter, murdered 20 children and 6 teachers. Some people look at this event as a terrible tragedy because it struck them emotionally that 20 children had died. While others look at this event as a tragedy because it is rare, one of kind and a freak accident that definitely do not happen every day, or even years. According to nces.ed.gov, the chance of a random shooting to occur at any elementary school in the U.S is 1 in 88,962, and the chance of any elementary child to get killed is roughly around 1 in 23 million, this is less than the chance of hitting a jackpot for an average lottery which is at 1 in 15 million.... [tags: pathos, language, speech, auidence]
884 words (2.5 pages)
- After the massacre of the Sandy Hook Elementary school, in 2012, a great deal of security measures were taken in American schools and shooting incidents became a disturbing idea for students. Shooting incidents registered in January 2014 reached 11 in the American schools, while classrooms and campuses lockdowns occur more frequently. It became a daily habit that alerts occur in the different educational institutions. Mayors Agains Illegal Guns, an organization concerned with gun control advocacy, indicates that shooting incidents registered in 2013 reached 28 in American schools and collages (TheGuardian, 2014).... [tags: shopping mall, gun control advocacy]
1985 words (5.7 pages)
- ... I will be holding a meeting which will address upcoming plans for the tragic in on dear school. I will also be pointing out six steps on how we can improve on school security so we can our students and staff members in the awake of Sandy Hook. I will be also be addressing how we can respond and also give tip to parents on how to help their child cope. We have counseling sections for our students and staff where they will have someone to talk to. When a tragedy like this strikes us, it leaves us with an unhappy ending but that should not bring us down.... [tags: school violence, safety]
697 words (2 pages)
- Nothing is more horrible then the atrocities that took place on December 14th 2012 in Sandy Hook Connecticut, when students at the Sandy Hook Elementary school were gunned down by twenty years old Adam Lanza. who suffered from an obsessive compulsive behavior, and had an odd fascination with mass shootings, when he entered the school carrying more than thirty pounds of ammunition and Lanza had three guns, one was a semi-automatic bushmaster rifle, and two pistols, Lanza then killed twenty first- grader students, and six adults, his mother being one of them, all in eleven minuets.... [tags: biased news, shooting, elementary]
937 words (2.7 pages)
- ... With the combination of college and homeschooling by his mother, Nancy Lanza, Adam earned a GED. Throughout school, Lanza was known for his intelligence, but he seemed nervous to many. Teachers and other students took notice to the amount of friends he had. Lanza had no true friends throughout most of his life. Which lead to him being a homebody and resorting to other hobbies to get him by. Such as, spending time with his mother who was a gun enthusiast and took her sons shooting at ranges quite frequently.... [tags: school shootings]
1441 words (4.1 pages)
- Have you ever thought of questioning the Sandy Hook shooting. Well if you haven’t now is the time to do so. When people think of Sandy Hook, they think what kind of person would go shoot up a school and kill many children. Some individuals believe that it happened and some believe that the government was involved and had planned it all. People shouldn’t feel that way because it’s not a true tragedy. Why should the government make a big scene for nothing, there was not a point in making other schools in America feel threatened.... [tags: conspiracy theories, violence]
877 words (2.5 pages)
- On April 8, 2013, President Barack Obama spoke at the University of Hartford on behalf of those who died in the tragic shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown Connecticut. President Obama addressed the people of the state of Connecticut and on a federal level. The broadcasting networks provided live coverage of President Obama’s speech, and a national audience listened as the president’s addressing the issues and the next steps forward for the country. The impact of this tragedy and previous massive shootings and Obama’s explanation have been a subject of a controversial debate.... [tags: Sandy Hook Shooting, NRA]
1786 words (5.1 pages)
- In the world today there are events that happen and have stories untold. On the rise are many different twists that come about from events happening. “63 percent of registered American voters believe in at least one political conspiracy theory according to a recent poll conducted by Fairleigh Dickinson University” (“Theories Prosper”). There are many different conspiracy theories in the world today including, included in the top ten lists of conspiracy theories is the Sandy Hook elementary shooting, the Boston Marathon bombings, as well as the September 11th terrorist attacks.... [tags: Conspiracy Theories]
2064 words (5.9 pages)