Same-Sex Marriage is a “significant controversy raging in the US over same-sex
marriage, an emotionally charged and highly politicized topic”. Some believe that marriage should be between two people should love themselves it shouldn’t matter what gender they are. That is where Is stand I believe that marriage should be between who ever wants to get married as long as it is not hurting me as an individual.
Same-sex marriage has come a long way compared to the 1970 where gay couples couldn’t even apply for a marriage license without getting denied. Same sex marriage has always been under fire “The Defense of Marriage Act deprives same-sex couples of many benefits and privileges that a heterosexual married couple has under federal law. Thus, bans on gay marriage—together with the social environments that give rise to them—are examples of institutional discrimination, that is, societal-level conditions that constrain the opportunities, resources (Hatzenbuehler, et al. 2010)”. However in 2016 same-sex couples can get married just like heterosexual couples can. In class we learned about different right that had to do with individuals.
Religion also plays a large part in the same sex marriage argument, individuals say that same-sex is against the bible. There are verses that support this argument such as “a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination Leviticus 20:13” and “Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men. 1 Corinthians 6:9”. All of these bible versus shows that it is against the bible to accept gay marriage. But even in the bible it sta...
... middle of paper ...
...g up the issue. The fact that same-sex couples couldn’t serve openly and they couldn’t marry. Was a concern because a person should be able to be free and serve as who they are they shouldn’t have to hide.
In conclusion, legalizing same-sex marriage took a long time to happen, but as of Friday, June 26, 2015 gay marriage is legal in the United States of America. This means that all states must legally allow same-sex couples to marry and have their marriage be notice on the same level that heterosexual couple marriages are. Thought same-sex marriage has, been legal there are still issues such as pastors not wanting to marry the same-sex couples, can people discriminating against the couples. There are still going to be issues that bother the LGBT community, but having the ability to finally exercise their legal right to get married is a step in the right direction.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Marriage, as defined by Merriam Webster is, “the state of being united to a person of the opposite sex as husband or wife in a consensual and contractual relationship recognized by law” (“Marriage” def. 1a). This definition may be seen as controversial in the eyes of same sex marriage proponents as it deems marriage is only applicable to heterosexual couples. Over the years, the human definition of marriage has been distorted throughout the minds of Americans. No longer does everybody see marriage as strictly one man and one women bonded together in marriage.... [tags: Same-sex marriage, Marriage]
1317 words (3.8 pages)
- Same-Sex Marriage should be legalized Marriage is defined as the state of being united to a person of the opposite sex as husband or wife in a consensual and contractual relationship recognized by law. It stems all the way back to biblical days when God created Adam and Eve, a perfect partnership of a man and women. While you receive a state issued Marriage license, marriage has been primarily controlled by the church and officiated by a Priest or Pastor. I find it hypocritical that Americans do not want God in schools or law making processes but use it as a scapegoat to ban same-sex marriages.... [tags: Marriage, Same-sex marriage]
1037 words (3 pages)
- As a country, we have seen many changes. A big change has been the legalization of same- sex marriage. 1.8% of males say they 're gay,and 1.5% of woman said they are lesbian according to a poll was taken in 2013 by the CDC. 60% of Americans are for same-sex marriage. But after a survey taken in February of 2015, 53% of Americans agree that marriage should be defined only as a union between one man and one woman. I believe that same-sex marriage should not be legalized. There are more cons than pros with same-sex marriage that it should just stay illegal.... [tags: Homosexuality, Same-sex marriage]
1129 words (3.2 pages)
- In this paper, I argue that same-sex marriage should be maintained legal in Florida. Furthermore, same-sex couples should have the ability to adopt children and have parenthood privileges. I argue that marriage is a civil right reflected in the United States Constitution and that the quality of parenting should not be determined according to sexual orientation. Same-sex marriage critics claim that SSM is against Christian religious beliefs and should be maintained as the union between a man and a woman.... [tags: Same-sex marriage, Homosexuality]
929 words (2.7 pages)
- Imagine you’re on a romantic date with somebody you love. All of the sudden they gaze into yours eyes and ask for your hand in marriage. Wouldn’t you be ecstatic. Well, most people would except what if you went to get a marriage license and were told you couldn’t get married because you are a same-sex couple. Although same-sex marriage violates religious beliefs, same-sex marriage should be federally legalized because same-sex marriage doesn 't disturb heterosexual marriages, denying same-sex marriages is a violation of civil rights, and marriage is truly about love and commitment.... [tags: Same-sex marriage, Homosexuality, Marriage]
1519 words (4.3 pages)
- Same Sex Marriage Should same sex marriage be legalized all over the United States. There are many pros and cons on the topic. Many people argue over how gay marriage is defined as a sin in the bible. Despite the cons to same sex marriage, people should be allowed to be with whomever they want without being controlled and told who they can and cannot love. People cannot control with whom they fall in love with and they cannot express their true selves if they do not have the opportunity to show who they really love.... [tags: Same-sex marriage, Marriage, Homosexuality]
1673 words (4.8 pages)
- Same-Sex Marriage is a “significant controversy raging in the US over same-sex marriage, an emotionally charged and highly politicized topic”. Some believe that marriage should be between two people should love themselves it shouldn’t matter what gender they are. That is where Is stand I believe that marriage should be between who ever wants to get married as long as it is not hurting me as an individual. Same-sex marriage has come a long way compared to the 1970 where gay couples couldn’t even apply for a marriage license without getting denied.... [tags: Same-sex marriage, Homosexuality, Marriage]
1538 words (4.4 pages)
- Gay marriage is one of the most controversial, sensitive topics that have been discussed around the world. Almost overnight same-sex marriage became a major national issue, pitting religious and social controversies against gay rights advocates and their allies (Masci). Although the debate for same sex marriage became noticeably public in the late twentieth century it was not until 1993 during a Hawaiian case that the issue became national news. Although many people are against the legalization of same sex marriage, same sex marriage should be legalized in all fifty two states in the USA because of the many legal issues for same-sex couples and the impact it will have on current and future g... [tags: Same-sex marriage, Homosexuality, Marriage]
876 words (2.5 pages)
- Same-sex marriage or “gay” marriage is described as a relationship between two people of the same gender. Marriage should be between two people who love each other; it should have nothing to do with gender. In most states, married couples are treated differently than a non- married couple, which goes for gay couples as well. In some states, same-sex marriage is illegal. Those who don’t support same sex marriage, whether it be because of harbored hostility or their traditional views, are more accepting of a legislative decision over a judicial decision (Dry, p.... [tags: Same-sex marriage, Homosexuality, Marriage]
1577 words (4.5 pages)
- People of the same sex should be married because homosexual couples have fundamental rights as heterosexual couples. What is the good and bad that we can expect from the same-sex marriage ruling. The same-sex ruling has become controversial because many clerks and judges do not want to issue marriage license because it goes against their religious beliefs. The Same-Sex Marriage debate finally came to an end on June 26, 2015. This debate has been controversial for many years on whether or not people should marry someone of the same sex.... [tags: Marriage, Same-sex marriage, Homosexuality]
1440 words (4.1 pages)