Safety in the workplace is job number one for employer and employee alike. It is especially important for those who install and service electrical systems. Nothing can replace a worker or loved one that has died or suffered the irreparable consequences of an electrical accident. No matter how much an employer tries to safeguard its workers or how much safety training is provided; the ultimate responsibility lies with the worker. The human factor is part of every accident or injury. The purpose of this paper is to identify electrical safety hazards and present ways to minimize or avoid their consequences. It is a guide for improving electrical safety and contains information about governmental regulations, industry-accepted standards and work practices. It presents ways to meet the standards and reduce the hazards
Electricity is very useful and has become essential in modern life. Electric power is used in houses, farms, factories, public places, and commercial establishment and practically in every working place for lighting, operating appliances and machines, heating, cooling, chemical process and transport etc. Electricity is a very good servant but a very dangerous master. Proper precautions will render its use a safe. Dangers from electricity are due to: Electric shocks resulting in burns, injury, and death. Electric flashovers resulting I deaths, fires and damages. Electric faults resulting in arcing, explosives and fires, Explosive in electrical equipment resulting in damages to installations and deaths. Fire hazards resulting in destruction, loss of life, release of smoke, dust gases which spread over large areas quickly. Sa...
... middle of paper ...
...future occurrence of such accidents. Studies indicate the ratio of causes for accidents as follows Unsafe acts - 88% Unsafe condition – 10% Other unsafe causes - 2% Multiple causes: Behind every electrical accident, there are causes and sub causes. Investigation should bring out all these.
In conclusion this paper on Electrical Safety Hazards not intended to replace an electrical safety-training program or to serve as a sole source of reference. The information herein is also not intended to serve as recommendations or advice for specific situations. It is the responsibility of the user to comply with all applicable safety standards, including the requirements of the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), and other appropriate governmental and industry accepted guidelines, codes, and standards.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Electrical Dependency of California: Problem and Solution Californians depend on electricity. It powers everything from the phone we use to the freezer that stores goods at the local grocery store. Electricity is part of the infrastructure of California, similar in nature to water supply and food supply. Without the electrical grid system, urbanized society will not function. Electricity is a commodity and a necessity. However, recent failures in power supply due to man-made errors and harsh weather question the stability of the power system.... [tags: stability of the power system]
1208 words (3.5 pages)
- New ICT System for a Business Organisation The business that I am looking at is CM Electrical. The most important aim of the business is to provide good quality lighting at cheap prices. The company is operating in a very competitive market where it is constantly competing with other lighting companies and stores such Selfridges. Current System ============== The firm at the moment is using a very basic system using a variety of databases, this is a problem because the data is not all on one system and this causes problems wasting value time for workers.... [tags: ICT System Essays]
3790 words (10.8 pages)
- Workers Health and Safety Not only do the United States Companies have obligations to workers who produce apparel they market. More importantly, these Americans businesses have authority to correct unlawful violations. In addition, customers rely on merchants’ good will and standing when evaluating the makers of their products. For example, according to Sherman (2013), those global clothing buyers, mainly the United States companies, have a job to execute guaranteeing security of Bangladesh’s apparel workers”.... [tags: Worker Health and Safety]
1058 words (3 pages)
- Introduction The Bureau of Labor Statistics defines an electrical engineer as someone that “designs, develops, tests, and supervises the manufacturing of electrical equipment such as electric motors, radar and navigation systems, communications systems, or power generation equipment.” Electrical engineers work with but are not limited to electricity, electronics and electromagnetism (What Do Electrical Engineers Do?). These engineers can work in labs, offices or on the floor of some major industries.... [tags: politics, electrical engeneering]
1910 words (5.5 pages)
- Safety is very important when you do social work it could mean the difference between life and death. KVC health systems have many precautions and safety measures that are to be taken. Precautions in the office start out when you enter the door of KVC. The front doors are locked and there is a sign on the door that states you have to be accompanied by KVC staff members. Also if there is a client that is at a potential risk they have rooms that are to the side of the building that have exist on each side in case of emergency How to recognize signs of agitation with case managers they should be more aware when working with clients when they are angry and feel mistreated, clients who are active... [tags: precautions, investigation, child abuse]
873 words (2.5 pages)
- I will talk about two topics in this discussion. The first being about important concepts that I discovered in the electrical power systems talk. This will include a discussion on the current battery of choice for the ISS and on protection systems for the SAWs (Solar Array Wings) against MMOD (Micrometeoroids and Orbital Debris). The second discussion topic will include how this information can possibly aid to the thought of designing a rover. The four key traits in this discussion are reliability, sustainability, life duration, and redundancy.... [tags: batteries, safety, temperature ]
875 words (2.5 pages)
- ... The major industries for fatalities was agriculture which accounted for 8.5% of total fatalities and other industries related to fatalities were mining, manufacturing and recycling, construction, electricity and water supply, retails and transports (HSE, 2013).1.8% of total U.K. workers suffered from work related injury while 2.9% were related to illness resulting from work (Eurostat, 2013). Production, manufacturing, agriculture, construction were the main industries leading to work related injury and illness (Eurostat, 2013).... [tags: industrial safety and security, workers rights]
2038 words (5.8 pages)
- Safety culture construction is increasingly emphasized by enterprises, taking employee safety and health as well as enterprise development as objectives, guiding employees to establish the correct security values, form and improve safety rules and regulations in the organization, strengthen security education and training and improve safety of workplace become significant parts of enterprises’further development. Required by WHS acts (Workplace Health and Safety Act 1995), both employees and employers have responsibilities to set up a safe and healthy working environment and for employees they should protect themselves away from injuries and follow WHS instructions and safe rules.... [tags: Occupational safety and health, Employment]
934 words (2.7 pages)
- ... Electrical shocks are caused by these leakage currents in the body. 1. Leakage current It is defined as loss of current from a line-powered device, usually resulting from breakage of wires. Or in other words leakage current is an unwanted current that leaks from a defective power cord because of some wear and tear or misuse. 2. Danger Usage of line-powered device could be dangerous. As leakage of AC current (i.e. 60 hertz) in the body if it is of sufficient amplitude and duration it can cause motor nerves depolarization thus induce involuntary tetanic like muscle contraction.... [tags: currents, damage, leakage]
794 words (2.3 pages)
- There are 4 types of accountants: Public Accountants, Managerial Accountants, Internal Auditors, and Government Accountants. Public Accountants work for public accounting companies, Managerial Accountants keep track of company’s accounts, Internal Auditors check the accuracy of company’s accounts and look for evidence of theft, and Government Accountants and Auditors keep track of the government’s accounts and auditing. Accountants and Auditors manage taxes, accounting, recordkeeping, and internal auditing of businesses, government agencies, and the public.... [tags: essays research papers]
1577 words (4.5 pages)