Running competitively dates back to Ancient Greece. The first Olympic games were located at Olympia, which was originally created as a place of worship (“Ancient Olympic Games”). Different from today, religion played a large role in the games. At its center, Olympia housed Zeus’s Temple. Ceremonies were held for both Zeus and Pelops, the founder of the games (“Ancient Olympic Games”). The Olympic games have now evolved and strayed from the original ties to religion. However, the events themselves are still linked to these first games. Running was the center of these games, as it is now of today’s Summer Olympics. The original games included a stade race, which is equivalent to today’s 200 meter race. Another race dating back to Olympia is the Diaulos, the equivalent of a 400 meter race (“Ancient Olympic Games”). While the Olympic Games have evolved, running competitively, and some specific events can be traced back to the original games.
Since those first games, the Olympics have grown immensely. The first games were just one day of competition (“Ancient Olympic Games”). Now the Summer ...
... middle of paper ...
...sue. These many variations and the benefits of competitive running bring new meaning to the saying “run for your life”.
"Ancient Olympic Games." First Olympics in Olympia. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 Nov. 2013.
"Athletics." Olympics. N.p., n.d. Web. 09 Nov. 2013.
Burfoot, Amby. Runner's World Complete Book of Running: Everything You Need to
Know to Run for Fun, Fitness, and Competition. Emmaus, PA: Rodale, 1997. Print.
"By The Numbers." By The Numbers. N.p., n.d. Web. 09 Nov. 2013.
"The Color Run™ – About Us." The Color Run About Us Comments. N.p., n.d. Web. 09
Liberman, Art, Randy Brown, and Eileen Myers. The Everything Running Book: The
Ultimate Guide to Injury-free Running for Fitness and Competition. Avon, MA:
Adams Meda, 2012. Print.
"London 2012 27th July - 12th August." London 2012 Summer Olympics. N.p., n.d. Web.
09 Nov. 2013.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The advertisement was created in order to introduce products to people, give people information and convince people to believe in what authors want. Advertisers are using many methods and techniques to give people on of products or to convince them effectively with visuals sound, or smell. Some advertisements are quite obvious while the others seem to be confusing and unclear. They have many ways to approach to people and convince them. However, that also leads to misunderstanding or receiving information out of context.... [tags: Physical exercise, Exercise, 24 Hour Fitness]
991 words (2.8 pages)
- According to the Oxford dictionary, fitness is defined as “The quality of being suitable to fulfill a particular role or task” and or “The condition of being physically fit and healthy”. Fitness education could, in the immediate future, play a major role in the reduction of childhood obesity, as well as obesity throughout all age ranges, while simultaneously increasing the overall health of all individuals who are fortunate enough to receive the education. In order for this to happen, fitness education must be incorporated into all levels of learning, and be made more readily available to the adult population who were deprived of it during their school age, adolescent, and young adulthood s... [tags: Overweight, childhood obesity, fitness]
1006 words (2.9 pages)
- Health and Fitness When I think about people who are into health and fitness and people who are not, I notice the two groups differ greatly. These two groups have two totally different lifestyles. People who are into health and fitness wake up to a bright sunny morning, every morning, and debate with themselves if they should go on a short or a long morning run. On the last half of their morning run these people one already thinking what healthy tasty breakfast they can satisfy the hunger built up on the fun.... [tags: essays research papers]
660 words (1.9 pages)
- One thing almost every young child looks forward to is the activity of play. Kids love nothing more than to go outside, run around with friends, and get dirty. If children are already active at a young age, why not encourage them to continue by enrolling them in an organized youth sport program. Young people will gain many positive experiences by participating in organized physical activities, but none as important and influential as the social skills, physical skills, and mental skills developed and nurtured during their time in youth sport.... [tags: Fitness ]
2215 words (6.3 pages)
- Crossfit is the top growing fitness empire, and has been for 10 years. Between classes, work, homework, and a social life being a college student can be a busy job. Trying to fit in a workout can be hard and overwhelming. Walking into a gym full of machines, is intimidating for someone who does not know exactly what they are doing. Without having someone there to guide you through, you could potentially be doing harm to your body. In a crossfit gym one is walking into a gym with very little equipment, a pre-planned work-out, and trainers there to help with anything needed.... [tags: Exercise, Physical exercise, Health club, Injury]
982 words (2.8 pages)
- Fitness Testing Many people have different opinions on the use of fitness testing, some being stronger than others, but there’s still some research out there to back up most opinions. While there is plenty of good and bad connected with fitness testing, I’m going to dig into ways I should use it in the classroom when I become a teacher. Knowing the negatives of fitness testing can help me create ideas to eliminate the negatives and keep testing as fun and relaxed as possible. By doing so, I’ll make sure everyone testing feels comfortable testing and ensure that results are accurate.... [tags: Exercise, Physical education, Sports science]
1126 words (3.2 pages)
- 1. A significant portion of the Coast Guard is not required to maintain any physical fitness standard. Requiring boatcrew members and law enforcement personnel to pass the physical fitness test; it puts a burden on the members for the extra time to maintain this standard. To change the current boat crew physical fitness test to a Coast Guard wide physical fitness test. It would benefit the Coast Guard and start to create a healthier lifestyle. The Coast Guard should require all members to pass the boat crew physical fitness standards.... [tags: Exercise, Physical exercise, Patrol boat]
755 words (2.2 pages)
- ... Thanks to the gladdening variety of programs, sometimes beginners face hard times finding what's best, mistakenly forcing them into schedules that are too difficult. Unlike general affinities, our bodies love a specific healthy routine which is not forcing muscles and bones. For that reason, it's important to start with easy programs. Either you decide to perform your exercises individually or in a small group both of the options will work well. Trainers are more and more specialized in group therapies providing a healthy education for maintaining a body fit that large corporate companies started making sure their employers follow a fitness program.... [tags: program, trainers, programs, running]
520 words (1.5 pages)
- Question A HealthVault is a very robust web-based personal health record designed by Microsoft. It is a database use to hold fitness and health data. One interesting feature is the way in which families can be set up. For example, a parent can manage their children’s records and vice versa. A person using the application can share a certain portion or their entire record, with a health care professional or relative. 2 In terms of complying with Meaningful Use, its interoperability standards are up-to-date The record supports exchange formats such as the Continuity of Care Document.... [tags: Electronic health record, Health care]
1292 words (3.7 pages)
- I am in pretty good health right now where I am at in life. My family does not have a history of anything that can be described that could be foreseen as a problem. What I can talk about is a generalized health maintenance and plan for staying healthy that should be easy to follow and quite rewarding. I will talk about eating disorders specifically so as to adhere to the instruction of the assignment. Eating disorders are some of the top concerns with any person that has health concerns regarding food.... [tags: Personal Narrative Health ]
1628 words (4.7 pages)