There are roles and skills needed as a third party with the conflict. A mediator can play various roles within mediation. The one key role to use in this type of mediation would be a communicator. In order to communicate a communicator role transmits information and ideas back to the parties in a way they would understand. Stulberg (1987) disputes that parties often do not understand what the other party is saying. The role of communicator has to have the ability to break things down to a level in which all parties understand. Herrman, H., et al. (2001) shows the appropriate communication style a mediator must adjust their styles to meet the participants in various capacities.
The role of communicator ties in with the role of translator. A translator will have to understand how things are interpreted between the parties. A function of a translator is to translate statement or proposals into language that increases their probability of being favorably received (Stulberg 1987). Mosten (2001) contends that a mediator must have the ability to reframe words...
... middle of paper ...
...ssues with the family.
Beer, J., Packard, C. & Stief, E. (2012). The mediator's handbook. Gabriola, B.C: New Society Pub.
Barsky, E. E (2000).m Conflict Resolution for the Helping Professions. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Herrman, H., Hollett, N,. Gale, J,. and Foster, M,. (2001). Defining Mediator Knowledge and Skills. Negotiation Journal, 17. 139-153.
Stulberg, J. B. (1987). The Mediator's Job. In Chapter 4 of Taking Charge/Managing Conflict. Pp. 31-41 Lexington, MA: Lexington Books.
Mosten, F. S. (2001) Can You Do the Work. In Chapter 3 of Mediation Career Guide: A Strategic Approach to Building a Successful Practice. pp.34-45. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass Publishers.
Vindelov, V.(2012. Underlying values and assumptions. In Chapter 2 of Reflexive Mediation with a Sustainable Perspective. pp31-47. Copenhagen, Denmark: DJOF Publishing.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- A wife is wanting a divorce after discovering her husband’s unfaithfulness, however, the husband does not wish to get a divorce. Rachel Anne contacted an attorney in order to begin the divorce proceedings and Eugene seemed accepting of the divorce until child custody became a controversy point. Rachel Anne and Eugene agreed to enter mediation with Greg as their mediator. (ACU, 2015). Minister’s Role as Counselor and Mediator I am or have been in the past both minster and friend to both Rachel Anne and Eugene and hold these relationships as significant, however, for the purposes of this mediation I am also serving as your mediator.... [tags: Sexual intercourse, Human sexuality, Marriage]
897 words (2.6 pages)
- ... This is the reason why Zamzamin’s team was being able to assemble a group of BRN negotiators to join the peace process. In addition, Zamzamin has strong support from eight senior officials in the National Security Council, which is through the concerning of primarily agency with the internal security, that constitute a secretariat for the smooth process. In handling any conflict that happen, we need to lesson from others comparable conflict is that neighbouring countries that are historically can be implicated that need to be brought on board in order to reduce a violence towards the community.... [tags: zamzamin, peace dialogue]
731 words (2.1 pages)
- Summary A major goal of conflict resolution is to empower people to create new dexterities and capitals therefore the round of cause and effect would lie at the core of depraved conflict may be damaged. Conflict resolution took place as a new discourse in academic field in early twentieth century however it was criticized as traditional approach which only used to work for international relations and state security. When social anthropologists came to describe its broad work in socio-political sphere, it became wider in social science.... [tags: Mediation, Dispute resolution, Conflict resolution]
931 words (2.7 pages)
- Conflict resolution is the integral process in social science which brings the parties to a mutual agreement. It is a process of reaching a consensus and progress the relationship between the conflicting parties. Conflict resolution is an approach to overcome the difficulties or problems of conflict. Conflict resolution comprises different method to tackling the conflict between the disputing parties. Conflict always must be considered from the angel of issue that had directed its invention to settle it.... [tags: Mediation, Dispute resolution, Conflict resolution]
702 words (2 pages)
- As business organizations move further into the twenty-first century, there appears to be steady advancement in technology, expansion, and innovation. More than ever, leaders are being developed to handle change, growth and transformation. With rapid growth, leaders are also encountering interpersonal and group-to-group conflict. By reviewing the current literature on leadership and conflict management, leaders can be equipped to understand the what conflict is, how it can be managed and the impact of leadership on conflict situations.... [tags: Management, Leadership, Conflict]
867 words (2.5 pages)
- This essay examines workplace conflict that arises in supervisor-employee relationships and amid peers. Conflict may occur due to work performance issues which lead to disciplinary actions. For example, some examples of conflict include generational differences, discrimination allegations relating to sex, age, or disability; or general personality. As a means to resolve conflict, some employers establish dispute resolution programs within their organization such as mediation. Through the mediation process, a trained facilitator assists the parties with conflict resolution, which in some instances aids in restoring the continuing working relationship.... [tags: Mediation, Dispute resolution, Conflict resolution]
1630 words (4.7 pages)
- Conflict Resolution at Work for Dummies Book Review As anyone who has been in the working world for even a small amount of time can attest, conflicts can often arise at work with a boss, a peer, or a subordinate. The key focus and point of Conflict Resolution at Work for Dummies is a “how-to”, step-by-step guide for avoiding and mediating conflict in the workplace. Workplace conflicts can be avoided by following a set process and asking the right questions. Communication seems to be a common denominator in conflict.... [tags: Dispute resolution, Mediation, Workplace conflict]
1136 words (3.2 pages)
- The focus here shall be on the analysis of the Middle East (Israeli – Palestine) deeply divided politics and security complex structure of the region. I shall approach the conflict (Israeli – Palestine) from the access point of; the USA (power mediator) and the critical analysis of matters arising in the conflict and the region within the last ten years. Answers to questions such as; what are the causes of security problems in the region (a bit of history will be considered). What are the aims of the mediator and facilitator actor role.... [tags: christianity, judaism]
707 words (2 pages)
- This essay seeks to demonstrate what are some of the strategies used by companies when searching resolve conflicts when they face is the combination of daily work alongside the interaction between people. Describes in greater depth that depends on the solution of these problems, I will mention some of the Recommended strategies, the importance of using them to improve the productivity of employees, how is the implementation of the same, the potential advantages and disadvantages , If any, of its use.... [tags: Communication Conflict Management]
1005 words (2.9 pages)
- Definition between conflict and dispute Ahmed (2007) indicates that conflict is disagreement between two or among more parties, which results in mutual opposition. Conflict is a process where one party regards its interests are opposed or effected by another party (Wall and Callister, 1995). Therefore, conflict is inevitable because each party has its own background and culture, goal and interest that may have impact on their action. Conflict can be managed. However, dispute may emerge from conflict, needs 3rd party resolvers and is not inevitable.... [tags: Dispute resolution, Mediation, Negotiation]
804 words (2.3 pages)