The first role play that Ashlyn and I did was about two sisters discussing why the one sister did not come to her dad 's birthday when he has leukemia and went to her boyfriend 's niece 's birthday party instead. During this scenario, I was the listener, which was the sister who attended her dad 's birthday and Ashlyn was the sister who went to her boyfriend 's niece 's birthday party. I first started by asking Ashlyn why she did not come to dad 's birthday and she just replied that she was went to her boyfriend 's niece 's birthday party. I did not start mad her about not showing up to the party because I wanted to really understand why she did not come and if I was mad she would not feel comfortable opening up. I stayed calm and asked her questions about what was really going on. I summarized a couple of times to make sure that sh...
... middle of paper ...
...better, rather then her trying to plan to hang out again, but overall she did a great job at making me feel like she was really listening to me and understood what I was saying.
In general, there was a ton of positives and very few negatives of both the role plays. I believe that both of our listening stills were better then the first role play that we did. The other group that was in the same room as us also did a good job, but could have done a better job at paraphrasing and reflecting on the speakers feelings. Everyone did a great job at asking open-ended and close-ended questions, which helped the speakers open up to the listeners. Everyone also did a good job at making sure that they were being empathetic and sympathetic to the situations that people were going through. The role plays were a positive experience that allowed all the groups to grow as a listener.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- “The ministry of listening has been committed to them by Him who is Himself the great listener”. This small quote from Dietrich Bonheoffer gives its readers a tantalizing taste of the profound and powerful action that is listening. By identifying listening as a ministry and representing its source as the divine itself, we are able to look past the naïve confusion with hearing and see the far greater connotations of listening as a deeply spiritual and interpersonal act. Seen in this way, listening then is an act that must require deep commitment and presence, as well as openness and patience.... [tags: Psychology]
1996 words (5.7 pages)
- Lamaze is a way to prepare for labor and birth that uses specific breathing and relaxation techniques. Of course, all Lamaze classes are a little bit different in one way or another. However, information that will be covered during a Lamaze class may include information about how the baby is developing; healthy developments in pregnancy; warning signs that something is wrong; how to make pregnancy, labor, and delivery more comfortable; positions for labor and delivery; breathing and relaxation techniques; how to write a birth plan; ways to tell when you go into labor; different options of pain relief during labor; what to expect during labor and delivery; and the role of the coach or labor p... [tags: Childbirth, Pregnancy, Uterus, Woman]
1422 words (4.1 pages)
- Franchisor: A Good Partner. Introduction Buying into a franchise business is a very serious decision for any business person. When you buy into a franchise you can pretty much be guaranteed that the goods and services you are selling will have almost instant recognition. The buyers of a franchise also receive training and support from a proven business model designed to help the franchise owner succeed. Even though there is a proven business model at work, buying a franchise is still risky and there aren’t any guarantees of success.... [tags: Business Management ]
2432 words (6.9 pages)
- The Partner by John Grisham The Partner is one of John Grisham's best books by far. There was a little more description in The Partner, then in The Firm, but this one had a very slow intro. The book opened with an anonymous man living in Brazil under an unknown name. Patrick Lanigan, now known as Danilo Silva, was living a normal life, not making a big deal about the ninety million dollars he had stolen from his ex-law firm two years ago. Danilo is wanted by his ex-law firm buddies, his client from whom he stole the money, and from the FBI.... [tags: The Partner by John Grisham]
641 words (1.8 pages)
- Leadership has a different meaning for everyone. The ability to motivate, set good examples, and persevere through adversity are all parts of leadership. Some people may think that being a leader is only for a select amount people. I see leadership differently. I think everyone is capable of being a leader. There are also various ways that an individual can practice leadership. Obvious examples are the ability to speak, ability to motivate, and the ability to be a good role model. I see the ability of being a good role model and having good character as the foundation of leadership.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Role model, Want]
1453 words (4.2 pages)
- Commitment to a Partner Abstract This paper provides extreme and basic advice and information on techniques on finding the person meant for you. It focuses on commitment and devotion to your partner. There is a great amount of responsibility that comes with commitment. Self control, personal stability, sacrifices, etc. is all a part of commitment. Communication and trust is the foundation of a happy healthy relationship. It compares what it means to truly love a person and to be deeply infatuated.... [tags: Interpersonal Relationships]
3074 words (8.8 pages)
- Listener Apprehension-term for the anxiety we feel about listening that interferes with our ability to be effective listeners. Starting a conversation/sustaining a conversation. Speech of any kind has been the downfall for me from the beginning. I have always been that shy girl and have always had trouble with interpersonal communication especially. Communication is important in all aspects of daily life. Walking by someone in the morning and saying good morning or even an in depth conversation with your boss.... [tags: Psychology, Communication, Human, Anxiety]
728 words (2.1 pages)
- The event/situation that the first selfie reflects is listening to the Presidential Speech after the election results on my laptop in my room. The laptop is in front of the camera while I am in the background because it accentuates what I am looking at. My character’s role in this selfie is to show the surprised reaction because I did not expect the election to turn out the way it did. I think the people that would like this post is anyone interested in the presidential election such as liberals, conservatives, independents, democrats, republicans, etc.... [tags: Left-wing politics, Right-wing politics]
998 words (2.9 pages)
- The Silent Partner: A Canadianization Dilemma Works Cited Missing As a student of Canadian film, I find great appreciation in films that work to culturally enrich Canada's movie screens. I feel that an honest portrayal of Canadian values and culture is beneficial not only by enhancing the credibility of Canada's film industry, but also by maintaining a voice for the customs held by the Canadian people. For these reasons, among others, it had become very easy for me to dislike Daryl Duke's 1978 film The Silent Partner.... [tags: Film Movie Movies Canada Silent Partner Essays]
2917 words (8.3 pages)
- Good city thinking The following essay addresses the discourse around the good city, trying to understand the importance of having a thinking on the topic rather than providing solutions for a good city. Providing solutions for the good city pose questions such as: good for whom. what is good. etc. These questions prompt that good and city are two words that form more questions than answers. In these nebula of questions urban design plays an important role because its nature is in the urban and therefore in the city.... [tags: good society, urban design, development]
2454 words (7 pages)