Colin Wilson is trying to tell us in his quote we need to stop following the crowd and learn from the mistakes that lay ahead. Like what Henry Wadsworth Longfellow said in A Psalm of Life “Be not like dumb driven cattle, but be a hero in the strife.” He is saying stop following the crowd and start being a hero for the people who are looking up to you; this is what Colin is trying to tell us in his quote as well. When you follow the pack you are not gaining anything, you are blending in and following the path of an unsuccessful life. If you trail the crowd your whole life there is nothing that you are gaining from it, you are not going to do the things that are outside the box and maybe a little adventurous. If you follow the crowd everyd...
... middle of paper ...
... following the crowd, there is other options besides accepting your miseries, and you need to be your own person and stick out as an individual. Watching the miseries of your life before your eyes and choosing not to fix it because it is not what the crowd is doing is really pathetic. Being your own person is important because it helps you figure out who you really are and what you want out of life. Colin is trying to tell us that following the crowd ends up in disaster and if you want that out of your life go right on ahead, but if you want to be unique and have your own miseries then be yourself. Who are you going to choose to be the person in the middle of crowd or are you the one who is off somewhere else enjoying what life has to offer? It is something that you have to choose what you want out of your life if you want to follow the crowd or live your own life.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Manatees, or sea cows, are quite different creatures of the sea. Not only do they swim slowly and awkwardly, they tend to have a rather awkward appearance to accompany this behavior. Even though many haweve heard about these majestic marine mammals, few understand everything there is to know about them. There are three main types of manatees: the West African manatee, the Amazonian manatee, and the West Indian manatee. The West Indian manatees themselves can be divided into multiple subspecies: the American, Antillean, Caribbean, North American, and Florida manatees.... [tags: west indian manatees, sea cows, animal kingdom]
1296 words (3.7 pages)
- She recognize that smell of wet earth just after it rains. The aroma that can be smelt through open windows or the whiff that hits when you walk outside the door, the ground still wet, water still dripping from the leaves. Drip…Drop. Drip…Drop. That remained Nora’s favourite thing in the world. She stepped outside just after the rain had ceased and just consumed the smell of something so natural that it cannot be stop by any living human or machine whatsoever. She loved to splash in the puddles with her pink gum boots that she had since her feet had stopped growing, at the age of sixteen.... [tags: Water, Rain, Cloud, Weather]
1008 words (2.9 pages)
- Ameican Cowboys Have you ever wondered who the cowboys were; how they lived; or what they did. The American Cowboy's way of life was interesting and unique, and they contributed more to society than one might think. Besides looking after stock and driving cattle, they had to round up huge numbers of cattle for ranchers. This paper will examine the American cowboy's character, what they wore, the everyday things they did like driving cattle and branding calves and the lawlessness of the old west.... [tags: Descriptive History USA Cows Essays Papers]
1527 words (4.4 pages)
- Snow and rain can provide many benefits, but at the same time hinder and burden our lives and environment. Rain is precipitation that falls down as a liquid from clouds, which can be beneficial to our environment, however, it can be of an annoyance in urban areas. Snow is also a form of precipitation and can provide benefits to the environment, but like rain, it is a concern to those in urban areas. Rain is a part of the water cycle, which provides us with fresh water and can act as a cleanser in nature.... [tags: Precipitation, Water, Rain, Water cycle]
777 words (2.2 pages)
- What is Acid Rain. Acid Rain is rainfalls made sufficiently acidic by atmospheric pollution that causes environmental harm, typically to forests and lakes. The main cause is industrial burning of coal and other fossil fuels, the waste gases from which contain sulfur and nitrogen oxides, which combine with the atmosphere water to form acid. That basically explained how acid rain is create and what it is. Acid rain basically is form from pollution being polluted to the atmosphere and combine with other little particles containing lots of mixed chemicals in the air which is being absorbed by the clouds, than being marinated together and when it rain that is what’s coming from the clouds not p... [tags: Oxygen, Water, Rain, Acid rain]
937 words (2.7 pages)
- Like Rain His tan skin became a deep brown, and sweat dripped from his forehead. He had been digging for hours, and the hole was getting deeper still. He pierced the ground with his shovel and carefully placed the soil into piles surrounding the hole. One pile for every year. Two, four, six, eight. After the last specks slowly dribbled off of the shovel and onto the last pile he threw the shovel down and it landed with a clatter on the painstakingly neat rows of bricks that twisted throughout the yard.... [tags: box, trinity, digging]
1036 words (3 pages)
- The Rain Man The Rain Man stars Dustin Hoffman and Tom Cruise. The movie was made in 1988. The movie is about an autistic man named Raymon, who is a idiot savant played by Dustin Hoffman and his fast, talking self absorbed, egocentric brother Charlie Babbitt, who is played by Tom Cruise. A egocentric person is a person with the simple recognition that every living thing views the world from a unique, self-oriented perspective(LIFE: Inherently Egocentric written by James Craig Green http://pw2.netcom.com/~zeno7/ego.html).... [tags: Movie Film Rain Man Rainman Essays]
1713 words (4.9 pages)
- Cows in the City. Chicago – the Windy City… Famous for its skyscrapers and the Magnificent Mile, this summer Chicago was embellished by a new landmark, or landmarks to be more exact. Nearly 300 cows have found a temporary home in the streets of downtown and its buildings. This extensive public art project, organized by the Chicago Public Art Program , commemorates the city’s industrial history, while bringing a sense of community and beauty to Chicago’s citizens and tourists. In this “parade”, every cow is full of meaning as well as artistic value.... [tags: essays research papers fc]
1184 words (3.4 pages)
- Stepping outside, I instantly notice the fresh, wet scent of earth. As I continue walking, I willingly allow the sprinkling droplets to envelop my entire body. My shoes are soon soaked; with each step I take, I feel a puddle of water move beneath my feet. The rain hurls itself violently on the dark, slippery pavement. My hair is dripping with ice-cold raindrops which plummet to the earth with every movement I make. The numbing effect of the icy downpour is finally setting in. Fierce thunder clouds sneak into the murderous sky and flashing lightning strikes begin.... [tags: Creative Writing Examples]
1218 words (3.5 pages)
- Acid Rain Acid rain has become an environmental concern of global importance within the last decade. With the increasing environmental awareness of the "unhealthy" condition of our planet earth the concern about acid rain has not lessened. In brief, acid rain is rain with pH values of less than 5.6. When dealing with acid rain one must study and understand the process of making Sulfuric acid. In this project we will take an in depth look into the production of sulfuric acid, some of its uses and the effects of it as a pollutant in our environment.... [tags: Acid Rain Environmental Nature Essays]
3205 words (9.2 pages)