Aflatoxin is a kind of mycotoxins, and mycotoxin is referring to all toxins produced by fungi. About 30 years ago, 100000 turkeys were poisoned and dead in Britain, when Aflatoxin was found (HKSAR, 2011). Aflatoxicosis is the disease caused by the consumption of substances or foods contaminated with Aflatoxin, which causes abdominal pain, vomiting, hepatitis and (sometimes) death after acute exposure to high concentrations in food. Several high-profile epidemics have occurred in Eastern Africa in the past decade (Azziz-Baumgartner, 2005). Due to the mold toxin can cause serious impact on agricultural crops and human health, so has been closely watched. In a variety of mycotoxin known to human disease, the Aflatoxin is the most popular researched (HKSAR, 2011). The risk profile summarizes the existing scientific information and helps risk managers prioritize the various issues. The four objectives as a scientific foundation of this risk assessment consists are: Hazard Identification, Hazard Characterization, Exposure Assessment and Risk Characterization.
Hazard Identification Aflatoxins often occur in crops in the field prior to harvest. Post-harvest contamination can occur if crop drying is delayed and during storage of the crop if water is allowed to exceed critical values for the mold growth. Insect or rodent infestations facilitate mold invasion of some stored commodities. Aflatoxins are produced by at least three species of Aspergillus, A. flavus, A. parasiticus and A. nomius, and can occur in a wide range of important raw food commodities, including cereals, nuts, spices, figs and dried fruit (HKSAR, 2011). Aflatoxins are found occasionally in milk, cheese, peanuts, cottonseed, nuts, almonds, figs, spices, and a ...
... middle of paper ...
...ancer Monographs, Lyon, France, 1993, 56.
LFRA, Leatherhead Food Research Association. The Aflatoxins. European Mycotoxins Awareness. Network. Available at: http://services.leatherheadfood.com/eman/FactSheet.aspx?ID=6 – accessed March 2014.
Rodricks, J.V. & Stoloff, L. (1977). Mycotoxins in human and animal health. Pathotox publishers, park forest, south, 1L, pp.67-69
Smith, R. H. (1965). The inhibition of amino acid activation in the live and E. coli preparations by Aflatoxin in vivo. Biochem. J, Vol.95, pp.438-448
Stoloff, L. (1980). Aflatoxin M1 in perspective. J. Food Prot, Vol.43, pp.226
WHO, World Health Organization (1979). Environmental Health Criteria, Safety evaluation of certain food additives. pp. 1-127
WHO, World Health Organization. Risk assessment. Food safety. Available at http://www.who.int/foodsafety/micro/riskassessment/en/ – accessed March 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Introduction Aflatoxin is a kind of mycotoxins, which involve all toxins produced by fungi. About 30 years ago, Aflatoxin was found when 100000 turkeys were poisoned and dead in Britain (HKSAR, 2011). Several high-profile contagions have occurred in Eastern Africa in these 20 years (Azziz-Baumgartner, 2005). Aflatoxin has been closely monitored; due to this mycotoxin can cause serious impact on agricultural crops and human health. It is the most popular researched in a variety of mycotoxin known to human disease (HKSAR, 2011).... [tags: mycotoxins, liver damage, myocardium]
1416 words (4 pages)
- We are one of the leading manufacturers and suppliers of a wide range of Electrical Contacts for Starter and O.C.B. Carbon Brush, Brush Holder and Slip Ring Unit.// change sequencing, same as about us// Our range is acknowledged for optimum quality, efficiency and durability. We are counted as a prominent manufacturer and supplier of a comprehensive range of Electrical Contacts for Starters, O.C.B. Contacts, Carbon Brushes, Brush Holders, Slip Ring Unit and Flexible Cable. Moreover, we are also a stockist of Relay, Timers, PVC Cables, Copper Wire and Aluminum Wire.... [tags: Business Profile]
2279 words (6.5 pages)
- We are a renowned organization engaged in retailing and supplying of Audio & Visual Equipment, Sprung Back Scrappers and Polyurethane and Rubber Screen Decks & Liners. These are known for their durability, reliability and excellent performance. Owing to our experience of almost a decade in this field, we are engaged in offering our clients with a comprehensive range of LCD Projectors, Cordless Mike, Computers, Laptops and Audio Systems. Apart from these, we also provide Collar Mike, Sprung Back Scrapers and Polyurethane and Rubber Screen Decks & Liners.... [tags: Business Profile]
2230 words (6.4 pages)
- We are one of the leading manufacturers and suppliers of Engine Valves Seats & various types of engine application. Our products are precisely engineered and are known for their durability and resistance against pressure and temperature. Backed by the industry experience of 17 years, we are the prominent manufacturers and suppliers of Engine Valves Seats & various types of engine application. Our range of products includes Engine Valve Seat Inserts, Ring and Header Work. The high quality valves that we manufacture are known for their resistance against extremely high temperature in the combustion chambers of four stroke engines that use natural gas, L.P.... [tags: Business Profile]
1789 words (5.1 pages)
- Introduction Today, there is a wide range of dietary approaches purported to decrease the risk of developing cardiovascular disease (CVD). We now understand that what appears to be inconsistent evidence to support a relationship between diet and CVD risk reduction is likely attributable to previously unrecognized confounders such as biological variability, co-linearity of diet variables, interaction among diet and biological factors, and differences in the strength of the relationship between clinical outcomes and biomarkers.... [tags: risk reduction, dietary intervention, healthy diet]
1912 words (5.5 pages)
- Profile Essays Profile Essays - Grandfather, Grandpa By definition, my grandfather is handicapped. However, he doesn't act as though he is, and he certainly does not want to be treated in any special way. In fact, most of the handicapped people in society do not appreciate being treated in a way different from anyone else. They just want to be accepted as human beings. Some people become handicapped as a result of an accident. Others are born with their disabilities. My grandfather was asleep one night on a Coast Guard cutter when another ship, a destroyer, appeared in the distance.... [tags: Personal Narrative Profile]
415 words (1.2 pages)
- Is the Risk of Bankruptcy a Systematic Risk. Several studies suggest that a firm distress risk factor could be behind the size and the book-to-market effects. A natural proxy for firm distress is bankruptcy risk. If bankruptcy risk is systematic, one would expect a positive association between bankruptcy risk and subsequent realized returns. However, results demonstrate that bankruptcy risk is not rewarded by higher returns. Thus, a distress factor is unlikely to account for the size and book-to-market effects.... [tags: Finance Systematic Risk Argument Bankruptcy]
1488 words (4.3 pages)
- Malathion Risk Assessment Based on surveillance and monitoring Genercville, the wetlands have become a breeding ground for mosquitoes. The proposal is to use the pesticide Malathion in order to control the problem of mosquitoes that could possibly infect the people with the West Nile Virus. The following is my analysis and evaluation of this pesticide. Malathion is an insecticide which is used in agricultural and horticultural applications to control mosquitoes and boll weevils (ATSDR 2001 West Nile Control).... [tags: Business Risk Assessment]
747 words (2.1 pages)
- What is risk. "Simply put, risk is uncertainty. The more risk you take, the more you stand to lose or gain. You cannot expect high returns without taking substantial risks." Tossing a dice, is at basic level a risky endeavor. The outcomes are thrown open to uncertainty. You take risk everytime you act, from crossing the street; to buying a stock. Generally when people talk about risk, they focus on financial risk. In terms of finance, it is the risk that a company or individual could lose some or all of the original investment, possibly resulting in inadequate cash flow to meet financial obligations.... [tags: Investment Business Risk]
1550 words (4.4 pages)
- Over the past decade, risk and uncertainty have increasingly become major issues which impact business activities. Many organizations are raising awareness to minimize the adverse consequences by implementing the process of Risk Management Framework which plays a significant role in mitigating almost all categories of risks. According to Ward (2005), the objective of risk management is to enhance a company’s performance. In particular, the importance of the framework is to assist top management in developing a sensible risk management strategy and program.... [tags: Business, Risk, Uncertainty]
2000 words (5.7 pages)