Retirement Planning Essay

Retirement Planning Essay

Length: 1217 words (3.5 double-spaced pages)

Rating: Strong Essays

Open Document

Essay Preview


Planning for retirement should not be based on Social Security alone, but rather by saving portions of personal earned wages and putting finances into long-term investments. Depending on Social Security as the only income after retiring is an unsafe and undependable way to prepare for retirement. People who contribute to Social Security are mandatorily putting money into the Social Security Reserve; this money is used for older generations that will file for these benefits before the younger people working, in the early 21 century, ever receive a chance. Money controlled by other’s hands will never be a guarantee for a secure future, yet money saved by an individual to put toward personal goals will reward greatly. By taking the time to research and plan for a retirement it will let a person prepare for the necessities that will be needed. People should figure out the cost of living required to support an individual upon retirement because forthcoming financial situations will be harder to face, unless a retirement is planned for by saving and investing but not to be covered by Social Security alone.
Social Security is not a reliable investment for total financial stability after retiring. Social Security was created in 1935 to ensure financial stability in the lives of the elderly and disabled (Dewitt, 2010). Later there was an additional benefit added to include the families of the disabled or diseased that had contributed to the program. Realistically, for every employee working hard and trusting in the United States Government to put aside money for a secure future, there are two, three, or even more who may be receiving additional support by the tax money taken out of the employees checks. As a result of these changes, the...


... middle of paper ...


...d successful stress free retirement. Preparing for the realistic fact that Social Security is not to be the only financial source after retirement is the safest way to secure a stable future.



References
Cannon, Miller, Pandher (2006). Risk and Return in the U.S. Housing Market: A Cross-Sectional Asset-Pricing Approach, Real Estate Economics, 34(4), 519-52.
Curatola, Trewin (2010). Retirement Planning in Light of Life Expectancy and Gender Issues, Journal of Financial Service Professionals, 64(5), 70-80.
Dewitt (2010). The Development of Social Security in America, Social Security Bulletin, 70(3), 1-26.
Olsen, Whitman (2007). Effective Retirement Savings Programs, Social Security Bulletin, 67(3), 53-72.



Need Writing Help?

Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.

Check your paper »

Purpose Of Retirement Planning : Retirement Plan Essay

- Purpose of Retirement Planning When it comes to your financial life cycle, retirement is one of the most important and strenuous areas to plan for. Because of the reduction in income during retirement, a person is exposed to longevity risk (risk of outliving your money) and the risk of not being able to maintain your current or wanted lifestyle. Our Red River Wealth Management team has analyzed your financial information and goals to create the retirement recommendations listed below. Areas of Improvement/Concern Upon reviewing your goals and financial information, we are concerned with your exposure to longevity risk....   [tags: Investment, Retirement, Roth IRA, Ageing]

Strong Essays
1166 words (3.3 pages)

Essay about A Safer Approach to Retirement Planning

- Planning for retirement should not be based on Social Security alone, but rather, by saving portions of personal earned wages and putting finances into long-term investments. Depending on Social Security as the only income after retiring is a lazier and undependable way to prepare for retirement. People who contribute to Social Security are mandatorily putting money into the Social Security Reserve; the money is used for older generations that will file for these benefits before the younger people working in the early 21 century even receive the chance....   [tags: Finance]

Strong Essays
962 words (2.7 pages)

The Importance of Retirement Planning? Essay

- Retirement planning is a way to insure that you will have enough income to live comfortably when you retire. Most people will be retired 25 years or more, and careful planning is the key to successful retirement. Why would you want to have bill pressures and mortgages when all you really want to do is relax, or follow that dream of traveling the country in an RV. There is always Social Security, and you may have a pension, but will this be enough for you to retire comfortably. Do you plan on staying in your present home, or will you be moving....   [tags: pension, investments, accounts]

Strong Essays
1249 words (3.6 pages)

Planning for Retirement Essay

- “You can be young without money, but you can’t be old without it” -Tennessee William As we age into wisdom, money becomes more essential to our daily lives. Discouragingly, we who are opportune to have jobs, misuse our finances on desires, like cell phones, computers, iPods, and other miscellaneous commodities. Rather than what is profoundly essential to ones futures, as we age, we steadily realize this, but in several cases it may be too late when we finally pick up on this information. When retirement is convenient, we are looking forward to a unwinding life....   [tags: retirement, money,]

Strong Essays
527 words (1.5 pages)

Retirement Planning Essay

- Planning for retirement should not be based on Social Security alone, but rather by saving portions of personal earned wages and putting finances into long-term investments. Depending on Social Security as the only income after retiring is an unsafe and undependable way to prepare for retirement. People who contribute to Social Security are mandatorily putting money into the Social Security Reserve; this money is used for older generations that will file for these benefits before the younger people working, in the early 21 century, ever receive a chance....   [tags: Finance]

Strong Essays
1217 words (3.5 pages)

Dante's Seven Deadly Sins as a Backdrop to Retirement Planning Essay

- Dante’s 7 deadly sins have long been deemed to be the main avenues to eternal damnation. Any aspect of life then is great fodder for examination using the 7 sins as backdrop, retirement planning being no exception. If aspects of your personal financial situation regarding retirement planning are of perpetual concern, this checklist of common disorders could get yourself back on track. Pride—You don’t admit you need help when retirement planning becomes more complicated than you originally thought....   [tags: greed, anger, envy]

Strong Essays
1433 words (4.1 pages)

Retirement Planning : Consequences Are More Important Than Probabilities

- Retirement Planning: Consequences are more important than probabilities • Not knowing the future investors have to make decisions based on the probabilities. • When assessing risk the monetary consequences are secondary to the life consequences. • Even if the odds are in you favor, never risk what you must have, for what you’d like to have. "Consequences are more important than probabilities." - Peter Bernstein If you could bet half of your savings on a wager that had a 60% chance winning and a 40% chance of losing, would you....   [tags: Investment, Risk, Economics, Want]

Strong Essays
1132 words (3.2 pages)

Retirement Planning Essay

- Retirement Retirement seems to be one of the most often overlooked areas of people’s future plan. Simply because it seems so far away, it is an area that is subject to procrastination. People are expected to live longer now than ever before, this is another reason why young adults and teenagers are not worried about saving for their retirement. The baby boom generation, the seventy seven million people born between 1943 and 1960, face an entirely different retirement plan. As they began to retire, people are starting to think that there will be no money left and this will turn into a crisis....   [tags: essays research papers fc]

Strong Essays
1276 words (3.6 pages)

Planning Retirement Essay

- People of all ages should begin planning for retirement and managing their money well so they are ensured enough income when they do retire. Retirees estimate that people will need 71% of their pre-retirement income to maintain their current lifestyles. Stocks and 401(k) plans are recommended.FactsNonretired Americans with household incomes that average more than $50,000 assumes they won't be able to retire until age 59.More than a third of affluent retirees with children and grandchildren are helping to support them financially, as are 29% of all retirees....   [tags: essays research papers]

Strong Essays
732 words (2.1 pages)

Essay about Retirement Financial Planning Letter from DL Cooley

- D.L. Cooley Stability in an Uncertain World Dear Mr. Richardson, Thank you for consulting with D.L. Cooley in regards to your retirement financial planning. Our number one goal at D.L. Cooley is to assure you that your investment will be a stable one that will entitle you to maintain the standard of living for yourself, and your family as you look towards retirement. After your recent interview with D.L. Cooley our team of industry specialists began working to create a stock portfolio that will best fit your financial objectives....   [tags: essays research papers]

Free Essays
903 words (2.6 pages)