James Cash Penney, founder of JCPenney stores, gained his retail experience working for Golden Rule Mercantile Company, after graduating from high school in 1902. He quickly rose through the ranks as a salesperson, store manager, and partner. In 1906, at the age of 26, he opened his first retail store in Kemmerer, Wyoming the first to become JCPenney store. 1913, he had 34 stores with over $2 million in sales and incorporated JCPenney Company, Inc. JCPenney’s success was due to the popular private-label brand that were good quality, lower prices than the named brands, and these products yielded high profits. In 1927, headquarters opened in New York and in 1929, the company listed on the New York Stock Exchange and store manager/owners traded in their portions of individual stores for stock in the company. JCPenney’s survives the depression, providing basic goods and services at lower prices and increased profits.
In 1957, JCPenney issued their first card. Mail order business started in 1962 when they purchased a Wisconsin discount store, General Merchandise Company. Catalogs were mailed a year later for the first time and the Catalog distribution center was located in Milwaukee WI. In 1975, they sold 3 billion shares of common stock. JCPenney is the second largest catalog merchandiser in United States. In 1982, JCP headquarters moves to Dallas, TX and reorganization has started to turn to national department stores and expand fashions for family and focus on home furnishings. The 1980’s and 1990’s capital expenditures increased by $2.1 billion, added 100 new stores and refurbished 500 more.
By 2005, an Internet point of sales system launched and gave customers access to all merchandise. JCP i...
... middle of paper ...
...tion, supply chain improvements, pricing and clearance options. Expense reduction will result by controlling costs, marketing, process improvements and promoting private label credit card usage. The ultimate goal is to reach $1billion in EBITDA by end of year January 2017.
2016 has already shown sales revenue is flat, but operating expenses decreased by 8% and may result in a breakeven or positive net income at year-end. Reuters analyst predicts sales revenues will increase $500 million per year with EPS of .2 in 2017 and .8 in 2018. (Rueters Fundamentals, 2016). Value Line estimates show gradual increase in sales revenues as well, with net income at $0 for 2016, $185 million for 2017 and $360 million for 2018-2021. EPS will increase to $.60 to $1.15 respectively. Stock prices expect to rise in the $10 to $20 range thru 2020. (Value Line, Inc., 2016).
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- As young children there is a golden rule that we are all supposed to follow, I believe that this rule plants a seed in us that helps us to grow and become caring human beings. The rule states this, “treat others the way you wish to be treated”. This rule is quite simple, but when implemented into the minds of young children who are still being shaped by the people around them it is a quite effective rule. The golden rule is a small simple break down of the idea a great philosopher by the name of Mencius had.... [tags: Immigration to the United States]
1179 words (3.4 pages)
- The Golden Rule ... Bottle Logic As I walked into the Bottle Logic tasting Lounge Crossfire played, by Stevie Ray. What ever happened to the Golden Rule are the final words to the song. I can tell you, that Bottle Logic is living up to the Golden Rule. Bottle Logic is treating others as they would like done to themselves. The beer is so different and intense with taste and flavor, it is definitively craft beer with soul. They have the best stout I have had ever. The other constants in their armada of mouth smacking beers are not to be missed either.... [tags: Beer, Brewing, Beer style, Wheat beer]
1034 words (3 pages)
- Final Reflection Paper Negotiation is a form of communication that happens almost every day. It is not only about fighting for what we want from the other side, but maximizing the interests of all parties and achieve an agreement that no alternative can. Learning from reading materials, practices and reflections, I believe that I have gained a deeper understanding of the logic and tactics in negotiations and I will be able to use them in my future life and careers. “Never negotiate unprepared” is the golden rule of negotiation.... [tags: Negotiation, Collective bargaining]
1262 words (3.6 pages)
- Imagine a world where people treated others as they would like to be treated. Surely a world with no conflict comes to mind. Now think of the way that the world actually is and a big difference will be noticed. The first thing that might be noticed, of course, is that it seems today that there is nothing but conflict in this world. This is because of things such as greed, but that is besides the point. Remember the saying in the first sentence. This idea comes from something called The Golden Rule.... [tags: Human, Thought, IPod, World]
707 words (2 pages)
- Those who consider themselves to be ethical are willing to practice self-restraint as well as self-sacrifice in yielding to the needs and interests of those around them. “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you”. This pretty much is a self explanation of what is considered to be The Golden Rule. This rule is based on the idea of shared interests. Dating back for centuries, the golden rule has been implemented in several different regions worldwide; although, it has been expressed in a variety of sentiments, the meaning remains intact.... [tags: Philosophy ]
1013 words (2.9 pages)
- There are many words that could be used to describe Michelle Gonsalves-Barreiro. However, you may just find yourself adding words to that list every day. Not only do I value fairness, but I also enjoy acting upon my word. Each day I try to apply the Golden Rule of life, “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.” In my opinion, living by the Golden Rule serves as an advantage most of the time. The past year of returning to school at 22 years old has been a life changing experience and has taught me a great deal about.... [tags: Leadership, Emotional intelligence, Trait]
1347 words (3.8 pages)
- Is the Golden Rule selfish. Those terms seem to be opposites, the Golden Rule and Selfishness, but when you dig deep into their meanings, you find that they are more closely related than you may have thought. Selfishness is almost directly associated in modern society to coincide with evil. Although, from an analytical and philosophical standpoint, selfishness is just looking out for one’s own self, or basically putting yourself before others. On the other hand, we were always taught empathy and sympathy since we were children.... [tags: Ethical egoism, Egoism, Ayn Rand, Altruism]
1703 words (4.9 pages)
- The Golden Age for Jews was an age of great prosperity along with fluctuating tolerance. The Golden Age is a period in Jewish history when the Jews were living under Islamic Rule. The Golden Age started in about year 711 and went till approximately 1066 CE. Most of the prosperity in this age came through Islamic ruled Spain where many Jews lived. In this era the Jews had protection from being proselytized by Muslims through a set of laws called the Dhimmi laws. The laws provide a certain amount of toleration towards Jews living under Muslim leaders.... [tags: islam rule, dhimmi laws, christianity]
1221 words (3.5 pages)
- The Golden Rule ‘The Golden Rule and The Greatest Good’ what can they do. It was around 4 pm that Tosin Olumito and I got to the main campus of Ahmadu Bello University Samaru, Zaria after a long journey from Ilorin, Kwara State. Our mission was to process our admission having finished the Interim Joint Matriculation board Examination of which we obtained a very good result. In Ilorin, we had been directed to a friend who was a student in the school to put us through and to offer us accommodation for timeous processing and efficient follow up of the admission but alas.... [tags: social issues]
1760 words (5 pages)
- Golden Rule and Environmentalism Intelligence, humor, simplicity, common sense, lack of philosophical jargon, perspective, wit, answer to questions. In the style of a popular scientist, not a philosopher, Stephen Jay Gould announces his view of an appropriate environmental ethic following the simple, but forever elegant, golden rule. "If we all treated others as we wish to be treated ourselves, then decency and stability would have to prevail"(216), he states. In the spirit of Karen Warren, Gould's perspective on environmentalism 'feels right' to me, as I can connect with acts of respect and benevolence towards humans and can easily extend that feeling to the rest of the earth (especially... [tags: Environment Ecology Ecological Essays]
1624 words (4.6 pages)