It was surprised to find out that Sacramento has a low resiliency. According to the research at UC Berkeley, Sacramento is ranked 235 out of 361 with a resilience score of -0.17 (RCI Ranking). The reason that I was surprised was because I never thought Sacramento would be in danger of flooding or other natural disasters, but that is not the only thing that cities need resiliency from. Climate change affects the whole world, which means it affects every city, including Sacramento. “While the headlines tend to focus on large-scale climate change impacts, the Sacramento region can expect many negative impacts that affect our health, economy, environment, and quality of life” (Greene). When most people think about climate change, they usually think globally, and don’t realize that climate change affects them also.
As mention before by Larry Greene, climate change will affect Sacramento in various ways. Because of the high temperatures due to climate change, the air in Sacramento will be really hot and dry. This will cause asthma cases to rise which is...
... middle of paper ...
...s stops added. There should be a bus stop with walking distance of each neighborhood. All of these implementations will not be cheap; but if we want more resilient cities, if Sacramento wants to be more resilient, these changes must be made.
Eichhorst, Urda. Adapting Urban Transport to Climate Change. Eschborn, Germany: Technische Zusammenarbeit, n.d. PDF.
Greene, Larry. "Climate Change." Sacramento Metropolitan AQMD. N.p., n.d. Web. 22 Mar. 2014.
"How Climate Change May Affect Californians." The Sacramento Bee. The Sacramento Bee, 23 June 2013. Web. 22 Mar. 2014.
Lee, Virginia, Leslie Mikkelsen, Janani Srikantharajah, and Larry Cohen. Strategies for Enhancing the Built Environment to Support Healthy Eating and Active Living. N.p.: Prevention Institute, n.d. PDF.
"RCI Ranking." Resilience Capacity Index. Berkeley, n.d. Web. 22 Mar. 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- There are lots of temp agencies that can help you find the Sacramento CA temp jobs that suit your current skills. Most agencies specialize sourcing workers for all industries present in Sacramento while some just hire for a specific sector. With many agencies in the city, how do you know which one is legit or not. How can you find one. With many companies in Sacramento hiring through temp agencies today, you are relieved of the burden of having to apply directly to employers when an agency can endorse or recommend you to a number of companies more than you can apply on your own.... [tags: sacramento, jobs, temp agencies]
569 words (1.6 pages)
- Right now, it's really hard to find jobs in certain cities in California, where the unemployment rate has surged over 10%. If you are looking for work, best you can do is to avoid coming over to these places and go to where unemployment is not, yet, worse and where employers are still hiring, even for just temporary positions. Maybe Sacramento would be the right place for you to find jobs. Why Sacramento. What's there to work in the state's capital that even has its own unemployment woes. Well, the city is far yet from following Detroit's steps, and the city being the state capital, officials will work hard to avoid the same predicament.... [tags: jobs, sacramento, unemployment, temp jobs]
516 words (1.5 pages)
- Sacramento, California is currently in the midst of a potential economic and social revolution in its downtown area. There are several, huge developmental efforts that are currently ongoing. Most of Sacramento’s development revolves around the Golden 1 Center, the new home for the Sacramento Kings. In addition to the arena, Sacramento is creating housing and retail developments in the same area, known as the Downtown Commons. The upcoming development will certainly change the city. However, Sacramento is relying heavily on the Golden 1 Center to raise economic and social environment in downtown.... [tags: Economics, Dependency theory, Economy]
704 words (2 pages)
- System Overview The Lake County Library System consists of an administrative office located in Tavares, nine member libraries, and six branch libraries. Member libraries include: Fruitland Park Library; Helen Lehmann Memorial Library in Montverde; Lady Lake Public Library; Leesburg Public Library; Marianne Beck Memorial Library in Howey-in-the-Hills; Minneola Schoolhouse Library; City of Tavares Public Library; Umatilla Public Library; and the W.T. Bland Public Library in Mount Dora. Branch libraries include: Astor County Library; Cagan Crossings Community Library in the Four Corners area; Cooper Memorial Library in Clermont; East Lake County Library in Sorrento; Marion Baysinger Memorial C... [tags: System Overview]
1892 words (5.4 pages)
- Southwest Airlines is a fairly impressive organization. Throughout their history they have proven to be resilient. In their early days they had to ward off pressures that were placed on them from the more dominant airlines in their area. These airlines tried to force them out of business using regulatory pressures. The second impressive show of resiliency came when in the 1970’s the government tried to force southwest out of Love Field to the new Fort Worth airport that the government had invested in heavily.... [tags: management, customer satisfaction, strategic plan]
825 words (2.4 pages)
- The Sacramento Bee June 7, 2010: Popular Auburn State Recreation Area could close down, because of California’s budget crisis. The preference of voting by mail or by going out to the polls. Tens of thousands of dollars are going to the Sheriffs campaigns. In the article on California’s budget crisis, they did not give much information on how they were going to try to fix the problem. It was mostly one-sided on how the state can’t do anything to fix the problem. I’m wondering if the people who contribute so much to their candidates are some of the same people who are upset about the national recreation area closing.... [tags: Newspaper Articles]
1799 words (5.1 pages)
- ... Many parents walked their children to the nearby elementary school. Sometimes, men would blast loud, obnoxious music as they walked down the sidewalk with their portable stereo and cars, which turned their bass to the highest notch, would blast their music loud enough to set off car alarms. Sirens woke numerous people in the neighborhood throughout most nights, and seeing red and blue lights flashing through the blinds of the bedroom window was not unusual. The smell of tobacco and dead, decomposing animals lingered in the air.... [tags: personal narrative]
650 words (1.9 pages)
- ... Libraries usually try to acquire materials that have been printed or published; however, some libraries also have special collections. Before materials are placed on bookshelves or somewhere else in the library, the library staff must first select, purchase from publishers or agencies, catalog and create MARC records, and finish up with the entire book binding process. The now-a-days libraries have a vast variety of collections of all sorts of materials in many different formats, such as hard-copy books, magazines, newspapers, videos, CDs, CD-ROMs, DVDs, free and subscription-based documents, periodicals, images, and electronically available multimedia (Fourie, 97).... [tags: libraries and archives]
1228 words (3.5 pages)
- Toronto city is one of the world’s most cosmopolitan, diverse and tolerant cities and is consistently ranked as one of the best cities to live in terms of life quality. Toronto located on the northwestern shores of Lake Ontario in the Southern Ontario district is home to more than 2.5 million residents. This Canadian city is unique melting pot of diverse cultural and ethnical immigrants from all over the world. The city is renowned for its high quality of life, economic and financial position and as an important socio-cultural center of North America.... [tags: Overview, Benefits, Ranking]
769 words (2.2 pages)
- Relocation is always an exciting experience and a challenge to the people who have no knowledge about the deployed country. Therefore, we are happy to provide any assistance for your upcoming journey. This article is aim to provide information of Singapore to help you gain your knowledge before your arrival. It includes brief introduction and some suggestions. We hope you may find it useful. History Singapore, strategically situated at the Southern tip of the Malayan Peninsula, between Malaysia and Indonesia, is an island city state with 714 sq km.... [tags: Country Overview, Geography]
1774 words (5.1 pages)