The playing of video games is often reported as a cause of negative behavior in children and young adults. When these video games are violent, the discussion of their negative impact becomes more serious. On the contrary, reports also exist that connect video game playing to positive achievement and worthwhile social skills. Studies of the connection between playing video games and their effects indicate a relationship between game play and “social interaction, achievement, immersion, emotional instability, and aggression” (Kneer). As members of a global community that operates in a technological age, video game play and its results on individuals and on the larger society demands our attention. Unfortunately, technology makes video games of all levels of violence easily accessible to anyone with a computer. There are few among us who could not relate to knowing an individual who is either obsessed with thoughts of violence or exhibits violent behavior toward others possibly, at least partially, as a result of interacting with violent video games on a regular basis. “It is important to know the long-term causal effects of violent video games, because so many young people regularly play these games” according to Professor Brad Bushman at Ohio State University (Suciu). According to an article published in The Journal of Social Psychology, there has been accumulating evidence that exposure to violent video games promotes aggressive thoughts, affect, and behavior” (Greitemeyer and Osswald). This makes violent video game playing a social problem, not just an individual decision. However, if the connection between video game playing and aggressive behavior is minimal or secondary to another greater issue, as some reports s...
... middle of paper ...
Bente, G., Kneer, J., & Glock, S. “Are Digital Games Perceived as Fun or Danger? Supporting and Suppressing Different Game-Related Concepts.” Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking, 15, 604-609.
Katherine Kealty. “Study: Video games, gun violence not related”.
News- Central Florida Future.
Peter Suciu. “ Violent Video Games Do Not Lead To Violent Lifestyle”
Technology News, redOrbit.
Tamborini, R., Lachlan, K. A., & Smith, S. L. (). “Models For Aggressive Behavior: The Attributes Of Violent Characters In Popular Video Games.” Communication Studies, 56, 313-329.
Tobias Greitemeyer., Silvia Osswald. “Playing Prosocial Video Games Increases the Accessibility of Prosocial Thoughts”. The Journal of Social Psychology, 152, 121-128.
“Violent video games and young people”. Harvard Mental Health Letter, 27, 1-3.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- An increase in violent outbreaks may be linked to violent video games. There has been an increasing amount of crime in the age groups involved violent video games in some way. In turn, watching and/or participating in violent video games can increase violent behavior. Violent outbreaks are more common with age groups that are actively participating in violent video games, or have an active role within the community of violent video games. An article states "Sales of video games have more than quadrupled from 1995-2008, while the arrest rate for juvenile murders fell 71.9% and the arrest rate for all juvenile violent crimes declined 49.3% in this same period" (Video Games ProCon.org).... [tags: violent, video games, behavior]
702 words (2 pages)
- In the videogame industry there are many terms and processes. The latest term in class discussion was player agency and interaction. Now, from a general perspective the two terms seem similar but have different meanings in the field. In the following paragraphs allow me to explain what these terms mean and how they relate to the videogame industry. To begin with, Interaction is defined as reciprocal action, effect, or influence. When it comes to videogames players get a sense of being interactive with the world they are residing in.... [tags: conflict, players, behavior]
573 words (1.6 pages)
- Do modern video games contribute to the increasing level of violence that we see around us. Can we really attribute the shootings and bombings we see on the news to the increased violence and realism of video games. Every day, people are exposed to violence through the TV shows and movies they watch, the video games they play, and national media networks who bombard us with graphic information portraying violent and hard-hitting global events. To top it all off, the media frequently loves to make outrageous claims that video games either “inspired” or “trained” the culprits of many of these violent acts.... [tags: Video Games, sociology, psychology, social comment]
1251 words (3.6 pages)
- ... At the same time, some people say playing video games are not completely bad. Limiting how long the child plays the violent video game can have positive effects too. The child can decompress from daily stress that may be caused by social problems or school by playing his or her favorite video game. “Violent video games provide exactly that kind of escape, giving kids an arena where they can play with fantasies of danger, aggression and conflict, developing a feeling of mastery that can serve as an antidote, or at least a necessary break, from daily anxieties" (Winegarner).... [tags: psychological influence and analysis]
931 words (2.7 pages)
- For years now, professionals of different fields have been debating about violent video games and its effect on the gamers. This paper aims to outline the claims and counterclaims in the debate around video game violence. This paper supports the contention that concerns about video game violence are not legitimate. This paper examines the two main opposing arguments concerned with video game violence. First, it addresses the issues surrounding the debate around video game violence. Second, it examines the literature concerned with this issue.... [tags: interaction, violent acts, pre-teens, teens]
1406 words (4 pages)
- Smoking, Drinking, Pornography are just among some of the things that people have decided are immoral for children to take part in. However, a child making a character in a video game ruthlessly rape, beat, and kill another character has been deemed acceptable as long as said child is of a certain age. Video games are prominent in everyday life. Children as young as two are starting off playing basic video games to learn their ABC’s and 123’s. The problem is as children get older they are influenced by the video games they play and most of the video games in today’s society are violent and gory.... [tags: Gaming]
1594 words (4.6 pages)
- The average person who plays video games regularly is thirty-three years old (Issitt). This topic is important because video games have been given an unfair stereotype. Video games have the stereotype of taking over the lives of teenagers and making them violent. However, the benefits of video games outweigh the negatives. Before this subject can be analyzed, there are a few key terms that must be defined. The first term is meta-analytic procedures which are the statistical methods used to analyze and combine results from previous, related literature (Study: Violent Video Game Play).... [tags: Gaming ]
1225 words (3.5 pages)
- ‘CRITICAL REVIEW ON THE EFFECTS OF MASS MEDIA ON VIOLENT BEHAVIOUR’ TABLE OF CONTENT Cover Page Pg 1 Table of Content Pg 2 Introduction Pg 3 Definitions Studies Aimed at Validating the Existence of a Correlation The Social Learning Theory The Narrative Theory Studies Aimed at Refuting Correlation Reciprocal Determinism Case Studies 4.1 Norway Massacre 4.2 Aurora Colorado Theatre Shooting 4.3 Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting Conclusion References INTRODUCTION With the invention of television sets (TV’s), came the invention of films and television programs to be shown on TV as well as the opportunity to broadcast live news stories.... [tags: psychology, behavioral analysis]
1962 words (5.6 pages)
- Violence and Video Games Despite media accusations, video games do not spark violence in Americans. Media organizations and other people, like Jack Thompson, are quick to blame video games as the cause of any shooting. This ignorance and false-blame only detract from finding the real cause of school shootings. GAMING COMMUNITY Recently, a gamer committed suicide after posting in a gaming forum that he was going to end his life. The media and Jack Thompson said the people in the forums did not care about this other person, and neglected trying to save him.... [tags: Violent Gaming Video Game]
1202 words (3.4 pages)
- Video Game Violence Violence in video games has been a hot topic ever since the beginnings of the industry. From depictions of a polygonal frog being run over in Frogger, to stealing cars in a realistic environment a la Grand Theft Auto, this topic has sparked serious debate. The traditional liberal stance is that the government should forcefully regulate the video game industry. The conservative stance is that the industry does a good job of rating itself, and that government should not get involved.... [tags: Media]
562 words (1.6 pages)