Gastrointestinal disorders are common diseases and can be diagnosed by endoscopy as a simple and effective procedure. Endoscopy has become a gold standard diagnostic procedure. The main purpose of endoscopist is early diagnosis or exclude gastrointestinal cancer, and to present other gastrointestinal diseases. Carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA), carbohydrate antigen 19-9 (CA 19-9) and Alpha fetoprotein (AFP) are used as a marker of gastrointestinal malignancies . CA 19-9 and CEA are antigens related with most of epithelial originated cancers including gastrointestinal cancers . Serum levels of CEA and CA 19-9 are increased in premalignant lesions and early stages of cancer. Also in recent study's measurement of CEA and CA 19-9 in gastric juice by an endogastric capsule, put forth us, we can distinguish between precancerous lesions and cancers or normal cases . The most common used tumor markers; CA 19-9, CEA and AFP are not a beneficial screening method . We aimed to investigate the relationship of gastrointestinal disorders diagnosed by endoscopy with the serum tumor marker levels. Evidence of increased serum tumor marker levels can be an urgent indicator of endoscopy in dyspeptic patients.
MATERİALS AND METHODS
In this study we compared serum tumor marker levels of patients who admitted to Sivrihisar state hospital with gastrointestinal system symptoms and underwent upper gastrointestinal endoscopy with a control group of healthy volunteers. This study was authorized by the local ethics committee. In this way, CA 19-9, CEA and AFP serum levels examined in forty patients who underwent endoscopy and forty healthy volunteers . 5 ml blood sample taken from all of patients and following 20 minutes samples cen...
... middle of paper ...
...n patients with resectable gastric carcinoma: comparison with CEA. J Surg Oncol. 2001;76:266-271.
14. Iwasaki Y, Arai K, Katayanagi S, Takahashi K, Yamaguchi T, Matsumoto H, et al. Biomarkers for neoplasmas in digestive organs. Gan To Kagaku Ryoho 2004; 31: 1015-1020.
15. Micali B, Florio MG, Venuti A, et al. Usefulness of carcinoembryonic antigen measurement in gastric juice of patients with gastric disorders. J Clin Gastroenterol 1983; 5: 411-415.
16. Farinati F, Nitti D, Cardin F, et al. CA 19-9 determination in gastric juice: role in identifying gastric cancer and high risk patients. Eur J Cancer Clin Oncol 1988; 24: 923-927.
17. De Vries AC, van Grieken NC, Looman CW, Casparie MK, de Vries E, Meijer GA, Kuipers EJ. Gastric cancer risk in patients with premalignant gastric lesions: a nationwide cohort study in the Netherlands. Gastroenterology 2008;134:945-952.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... The histological sections were stained with hematoxylin-eosin and they were evaluated by a pathologist using the updated Sydney System criteria (13). Therefore, endoscopic observation and histopathological confirmations were used to determine patient pathology. Serology Five ml Peripheral blood samples were taken from all control subjects of the study. The serum was tested for IgG by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA; International Immuno-Diagnostics, Foster City, CA, USA) according to the manufacturer’s instructions.... [tags: serology, dyspeptic patients]
912 words (2.6 pages)
- Brain tumor is an abnormal mass of tissue in which some cells grow or multiply uncontrollably. Various techniques have been developed for detection of brain tumor. This paper focuses on survey of well-known brain tumor detection techniques and the applied image segmentation procedures. The main concentration is on the techniques which use image segmentation to detect brain tumor. These techniques include Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI), functional MRI (fMRI), Computed Tomography ( CT ) Scans and various others.... [tags: Computed tomography, tumor, MRI]
3133 words (9 pages)
- This piece of work will be based on the pre-assessment process that patients go through on arrival to an endoscopy unit in which I was placed in during my second year studying Adult diploma Nursing. I will explore one patient’s holistic needs, identifying the priorities of care that the patient requires; I will then highlight a particular priority and give a rational behind this. During an admission I completed under the supervision of my mentor I was pre-assessing a 37 year old lady who had arrived to the unit for an upper gastrointestinal endoscopy.... [tags: Endoscopy, Patient History]
2489 words (7.1 pages)
- Assisting with tumor removals, insulin injections, viewing surgeries, and housing patients post-operatively are all tasks I have been involved with since childhood. I was not a child medical prodigy but rather, I was raised in a loving but often hectic household with both parents as veterinarians. In my pet friendly residence, medical cases were discussed routinely at the dinner table. I would pepper my parents with questions about the day’s most interesting medical and surgical cases. This marked the beginning of my fascination with medicine.... [tags: Medicine, Health, Health care, Health science]
1332 words (3.8 pages)
- Neuroblastoma is a cancerous tumor that develops from nerve tissue. It usually occurs in infants and children. Neuroblastoma is a serious disease and it can occur in many areas of the body, sometimes starting at the sympathetic nervous system. This particular system controls your heart rate, blood pressure, digestion, and some levels of hormones. Neuroblastoma can spread pretty much anywhere in the body including the bones in your face, skull, pelvis, shoulders, arms and legs. It can also spread to bone marrow, liver, lymph nodes, skin, and around the eyes.... [tags: Cancer, Nerve Tissue, Tumor, Children]
940 words (2.7 pages)
- Everything about china is big. Their inventions, the great wall of china, their population, including its cancer problem. In wealthy cities like Beijing, cancer is known to be its most frequent killer. Air pollution, high rates of smoking, and notorious cancer villages scarred by industrial pollution are increasing death rates around the country. Today I will discuss the benefits of liquid biopsies in the blood testing of tumor development. Liquid biopsy is basically a liquid biomarker that results in blood tests that detect cancer cells or DNA that tumours shed into the blood.... [tags: Cancer, Oncology, Tumor, Medical test]
1252 words (3.6 pages)
- Also called Endoscopy or Sinuscopy is a procedure used to remove blockage in the sinuses. The sinuses swells and becomes clogged, causing pain and impaired breathing and would need to be removed. Instruments used such as an Endoscope. It would be used to view inside and up the nasal cavity. This procedure is basically a last treatment procedure that will be done based on what the doctor, surgeon and patient agrees upon. Most of the time this surgery will be done when patient cannot get results from over the counter and prescription medication to help clear up the sinus.... [tags: Surgery, Physician, Anesthesia, Hospital]
1252 words (3.6 pages)
- With a similar protocol, expanded CTCs will also be assessed for metastatic potential in CTC-PDX models following orthotopic (o.t.) and intra-cardiac (i.c.) inoculation (Figure 1). In these models where tumors form internally, growth and metastasis will be monitored by signs of general wellbeing of the host, and confirmed by non-invasive NIR tumor imaging method developed in our laboratory (48,49). At the end of the study, animals will be euthanized and complete necropsy performed to determine the extent of tumor metastasis, which will be confirmed by histopathological analyses.... [tags: Cancer, Metastasis, Oncology, Prostate cancer]
1140 words (3.3 pages)
- Sarah Friedman Rotation #12 Interventional Radiology Tumor Ablation Tumor ablation is a procedure performed in vascular surgery and interventional radiology to treat solid tumors. Although there are many different modalities of tumor ablation, in general it is the direct application of therapy to a specific mass in an attempt to eliminate or at least diminish a tumor. The term “direct” is used in comparison to the several therapies aimed toward tumor destruction that are given intravenously. This paper will give an overview of how tumor ablation is performed, the risks and benefits involving the procedure, and an overview of the practice of tumor ablation within the liver, lung, kidney, and... [tags: Cancer, Metastasis, Oncology, Benign tumor]
1213 words (3.5 pages)
- We focused on genes determining the response of tumor cells to apigenin. Our results do not suggest that the ABC transporters ABCB1 and ABCB5 may play a role for apigenin resistance. Multidrug resistance caused by P-glycoprotein (MDR1/ABCB1) represents a major impediment of cancer chemotherapy. P-glycoprotein is expressed in many tumor types being either inherently resistant to anticancer drugs or acquiring resistance during chemotherapy . ABCB5 is highly expressed in melanoma  and confers multidrug resistance to anthracyclines and taxanes [24,27].... [tags: drugs, virus, resistence, ]
1448 words (4.1 pages)