Medical marijuana and prescription drugs are very similar . Both substances have many medicinal purposes and benefits and they also carry risks. First I will discuss medical marijuana. Second I will discuss prescription drugs. Lastly, I will offer a direct comparison of the two. This will show that marijuana is a medicinal plant that should be regulated and prescribed like other prescription drugs.
Marijuana is the dried leaves of the cannabis plant (DEA). Marijuana is currently listed a Schedule I narcotic drug according to the Controlled Substances Act. The Department of Justice website states all drugs listed as a Schedule I controlled substance have "no currently accepted medical use and a high potential for abuse" (DEA). It is important to remember the scheduling of marijuana when deciding if it should be legal for medical use.
Marijuana has been used across the world for centuries for its medical benefits. Currently medical marijuana i...
... middle of paper ...
"Annual Causes of Death in the United States." DrugWarFacts.org. N.p., n.d. Web. 23 Sept. 2013.
"DEA / Drug Scheduling." DEA / Drug Scheduling. N.p., n.d. Web. 22 Sept. 2013.
"The FDA's Drug Review Process: Ensuring Are Safe and Effective." Food and Drug Administration, 01 May 2012. Web. 23 Sept. 2013.
"Emerging Clinical Applications For Cannabis & Cannabinoids." NORML. Ed. Paul Armentano. N.p., 14 Mar. 2012. Web. 21 Sept. 2013.
Joy, Janet E., Stanley J. Watson, JR., and John A. Benson, JR., eds. Marijuana and Medicine. Rep. Washington D.C: Institue of Medicine, 1999. Print.
Kelly, David. "Study Shows No Evidence Medical Marijuana Increases Teen Drug Use." University of Colorado Denver. N.p., 18 June 2012. Web. 23 Sept. 2013.
Young, Saundra. "Marijuana Stops Child's Severe Seizures." CNN. Cable News Network, 07 Aug. 2013. Web. 21 Sept. 2013.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Marijuana usage for the purpose of medical treatment has been a debated issue in many states and Countries around the world. The United Kingdom and Canada have both adopted laws that are directed at protecting patients and doctors from prosecution due to possession and usage of marijuana for medical purposes. Australia has passed laws, but has not put them into effect, and the United States has not made any allowances, leaving marijuana in the same category with other illegal drugs and allowing for prosecution if a person is found to be growing, possessing or using marijuana, regardless of the reasons.... [tags: Medical Marijuana]
1228 words (3.5 pages)
- Medical marijuana is a controversy in today’s society. Currently the community is divided on the issue. Questions are constantly being thrown around such as “How does it affect the body?” and “What good does it do for a person?” Researchers have tried to answer these questions with studies and they have shown how positive medical marijuana can be. If something can benefit an individual why not use it for the sick in an attempt to find a better drug for those who really need it. Medical use of marijuana should be legal all across the United States because of all the good it can do for a person’s overall health and the fact that everyone deserves all possible methods of treatment when they ar... [tags: Benefits of Medical Marijuana]
1219 words (3.5 pages)
- Medical Marijuana Why keep those pricey bottles and boxes of drugs in our medicine cabinets which are worthless. New research suggests that marijuana is a medicine. This is a concern which should be addressed for the citizens of United States who have to fight for their medicine to feel better and ease their illness. This is why marijuana should be a medical option. Marijuana is a natural herbal plant which is often called pot, weed, MMJ, cannabis, bubble gum, green goddess and there are several other names that follows.... [tags: drugs, legalize marijuana, medical, argument]
1299 words (3.7 pages)
- Herbal Remedies Home Delivery Cannabis usage for medical purposes has grown in popularity amongst society, patients, and doctors alike. The marijuana industry is an industry that is relatively new and lots of opportunities to grow within. The company I am creating for an online non-profit venture is called Herbal Remedies Home Delivery. This company is an online site that medical marijuana patients can virtually order medicinal products via web chats to have delivered to their home address from a protected company van.... [tags: medical marijuana, cannabis]
2350 words (6.7 pages)
- Haven’t you always been fascinated that something our government restricts and makes illegal could in fact save and help many people who suffer and are in need of help for medical reasons such as cancer patients, aids patients, and those who suffer from depression. How can something be illegal if it helps 7.6 million people who approximately die just from cancer on a yearly basis’s. 23.5 million Americans that are affected from an auto immune disease. Auto immune disease’s is when the body starts to destroy itself; it’s also the leading cause of death as well as disability.... [tags: Medical Marijuana ]
1131 words (3.2 pages)
- Medical Marijuana: Weed Warfare As I sat listening silently outside the hospital room, there lay an elderly man, clad in his hospital gown, crying in pain as he battles his severe kidney cancer. His daughter nervously paces around the room, as she is faced with a decision of whether to go with the doctor’s choice of giving her father the prescription of medical marijuana for treatment. The doctor enters the room, asking for the decision, so he can start treatment. The daughter struggling with the decision between using a substance abusing drug to help lessen her father’s pain, or request some other potent drugs with harmful side effects.... [tags: Medical Marijuana]
2413 words (6.9 pages)
- Legalizing Marijuana Marijuana is a very controversial and obtrusive issue in our society today. Although many have made malicious remarks about it in the past, and even still in the present, the truth and beneficial facts of marijuana are finally resurfacing. Unfortunately, our society has become a very critical crowd towards the legalization of marijuana due to the stereotypical view of the kind of people who are considered “pot smokers”. This contorted perception of a lazy and unmotivated America is the logic behind keeping marijuana unattainable to our citizens.... [tags: Medical Marijuana]
988 words (2.8 pages)
- Marijuana is not as harmful as a lot of people think. In Colorado medical marijuana saved a little girls life. Charlotte Figi, 5, had 300 grand mal seizures a week. Only 5 years old and she could not walk, talk or eat. Her father, Matt, gave up his career and searched for a way to help his little girl. After trying every type of medication he could, he finally found a way to help his daughter. He came across a video of a little boy from California. The little boy had been treated with medical marijuana and started showing positive reactions.... [tags: legalizing, government, medical, marjuana]
2303 words (6.6 pages)
- How long does it have to take for Indiana to recognize that marijuana is the furture of medicine. For years marijuana has been referred to as a bad drug but just recently people are now understanding that marijuana has so many uses towards medicine. That is why 20 states (including Washington D.C) have legalized medical marijuana in their states. So why hasn’t Indiana legalize medical marijuana. Well there are three reason that could change Indiana’s mind. Medical marijuana should be legalized in the state of Indiana: it has proven to kill a portion of cancer, Indiana could charge tax on it, and marijuana is safer than alcohol and tobacco combined together.... [tags: drugs, tobacco, medical marijuana]
1152 words (3.3 pages)
- Throughout the history of agriculture, the marijuana plant, also known as cannabis or hemp has been extensively used as a source of medicine, fiber, and intoxicant. In the ancient folklore and writings of China and India, the earliest known descriptions of cannabis are evident. According to historians, marijuana was mostly used a ritual intoxicant and later on, it found significance in folk medicine. The practice of smoking of marijuana has only appeared recently. There has been a lot of literature on the medicinal properties of marijuana which physicians in ancient China and India discovered in their practice.... [tags: Medical Marijuana Essays]
1012 words (2.9 pages)