The selection criteria for the distressed property would fairly simple. The property would need to have a decent sized lot (at least 80’ x 160’). The property would need to be in a north to south alignment, with the longer borders running north to south. The house would need to be on the northern half of the property. The property would need to cost no more than $80,000 (potentially more if the house were in move-in condition). The house would preferably be on the city bus line, as most U of I students walk. Finally, the south half of the property would need an unimpeded view of the horizon.
Once the property was selected and purchased, the first step would be to refurbish and restore it to livable condition. All appliances would be updated to the most energy efficient and cost effective units available. After explaining the full purpose of my project, I would request the assistance of professors of the college of engineering (Electrical and Mechanical) in identifying students who could aid in appliance determination. I would also request professor approval for my project as a student lab, which would gain the students valuable credits toward graduation. Once appliances were chosen, I would also create fliers that explain my goals for the house, and distribute them to local carpenters, student organizations, and building mate...
... middle of paper ...
...ll as cheap, green geothermal energy should be enough return on investment for anyone, my true reward would be in forming relationships, and growing cross-discipline and cross-generational understanding. I believe when we’re in college, we spend so much time focused on our primary goals that we often forget to look outside. I believe this project will have not only students and faculty, but the entire community looking outside. This is a project I would be incredibly proud of, and I hope to see it accomplished in my lifetime.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The rate of foreclosures today has increased due to lack of funds and the decrease in job opportunities in the United States. This decline in revenue has caused a large plague that is infecting the real estate industry making it almost impossible to make a profit in the business. Finding new ideas and new ways to make increase as a real estate agent is almost impossible in this day and age and makes it so that there are fewer and fewer Americans that are living in their own homes that they have purchased instead of rentals.... [tags: Economics]
918 words (2.6 pages)
- Becoming organized could be the key to generating your daily life as being a work at home mom efficient and, fairly, pressure free. If it is possible to get and vacation organized, your business and your house lifestyle will flourish. With out taking some simple decluttering tips you might be overwhelmed with perform and laundry in no time. One of your most important components of home organizing being a work-at-home mom should be to establish your business hours. Establishing specific functioning moments all through each day has numerous positive aspects.... [tags: Management, Time, Hour, Home]
797 words (2.3 pages)
- Treating hair to a variety of harsh chemicals like hair colors, hair extensions, hair dyes, is one of the obvious reasons of hair damage along with other reasons. Blow drying, rebonding, treating hair to excessive heat while straightening, perming, and certain hairstyles like braids are other causes of hair damage. Hair can have a dry texture due to chlorine water while washing, over use of hair care products, chemical treatments and pollution. Damaged dry hair can also be due to lack of regular oiling, shampooing and conditioning.... [tags: Home Remedies ]
847 words (2.4 pages)
- “To make your company competitive and attractive to job candidates you have to offer an exceptional total benefits package” (Obringer, 2003, para.1). This is especially true in the current economic environment. The employee’s needs are changing so businesses are having to rethink their compensation and benefits packages. The home improvement industry is no exception to this phenomenon. Companies like Ace Hardware, Lowes Home Improvement, and The Home Depot have had to adapt their benefits packages to stay competitive in an industry with an ever-changing employee demographic.... [tags: Lowes Home Improvement, The Home Depot]
999 words (2.9 pages)
- One day, we all may end up in a nursing home. Many do not think of what can happen once you turn 60. Suppose you live with your parents and work all day you get a call that your father, who is 65, has fallen. You may not think of what happened, but just thinking about if his ok and hopping it is not a big deal. Just wanting for your father get well a soon as possible. Not thinking a fall to an elderly person can do major damage. Then it hits you, your father will have to go into a nursing home for therapy.... [tags: Nursing, Nursing home, Geriatrics, Home care]
1262 words (3.6 pages)
- What is home. If one looks in a dictionary the answer would come out to be, “The place where one lives permanently, especially as a member of a family or household.” However, for anyone who has had an actual home, they would know that such a term goes much beyond its concrete description. It is an impassioned aspect filled with values and foundation of nurturing. A home is not just an abode built to live in; in fact, that is just a definition of a house. Home is a place where one not only feels comfortable, but a place they look forward to opportunely live in every day.... [tags: home, family, household]
744 words (2.1 pages)
- Home birth is not an unusual occurrence for certain areas in our country. It has been practiced by traditional midwives and untrained birth attendants for many decades, since before the existence of modern medical facilities and hospitals. However by improving our health care system for pregnant women, it has managed to reduce catastrophic complications that lead to maternal and perinatal death. Why then are there still a few women keen for home birth although they have access to local area hospitals.... [tags: women, health care, home labour, pregnancy]
887 words (2.5 pages)
- Business Analysis: Home Depot Introduction When two upper level managers decided to relinquish their jobs with the small hardware store they were working at, “Handy Dandy” they had a vision and set out to develop a company that catered to the “do-it-yourselfer,” and with that idea, The Home Depot was born. As the company exploded from one store into hundreds, it soon became the largest supplier of building supplies and home improvement materials in the United States. However, this was a short-lived, other companies were closing in on the same idea and the market was shrinking.... [tags: Business Home Depot Hardware Home Improvement]
1590 words (4.5 pages)
- Aspects of Home Schooling Do parents always know what is best for their child. When a parent says that they want to home school their child are they making the right decision. After all, parents are the ones that teach their children how to walk and talk. After all, they are the ones that are most interested in making sure that their child receives the best education, why shouldn’t they be the ones to teach their children. Being home schooled can have both a positive and negative effect on a child.... [tags: Education Home School Essays]
1266 words (3.6 pages)
- Home My definition of home is not a word I can say or a thought I can think, but a feeling. This feeling is like a calm that settles over me like a blanket, just a quiet assurance telling me I belong in that place. It took me forever to understand where exactly that place was, and the answer was always right in front of me. This feeling would come and go, and I would never recognize it because I knew that only my address and the house that I parked my car at and went in to eat and sleep for 18 years was my home.... [tags: Personal Narrative Home Descriptive Observation]
1781 words (5.1 pages)