On our very first day of clinical, an evening shift on January 7, 3 student nurses with myself included witnessed a peripheral IV being started on a patient. The insertion was performed by an RN in the patient’s room, with the patient lying down supine on the bed. My classmates and I stood beside the patient’s bedside, giving us a nice view of the procedure. As the RN started inserting the IV catheter into the patient’s hand, the sight of the catheter going inside the skin made me wince. It looked difficult to insert into the vein in the hand as the vein kept rolling. The RN had to move up to the patient’s arm to insert again and at that point, I began to feel light-headed. I looked down at the floor, averting my gaze from the patient’s arm but I still felt light-headed. In the end, the RN did not succeed in starting the IV so another RN who had more experienced took over. I did not participate to witness a second IV start as I believe I would have fainted during that time.
In this situation, I believe that I was not aware of my own limitations as I...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Reflective Teacher When I started college, I took a first-year class that was about my identity and who I was and how I can reflect on my experiences in life to gain a better meaning. My professor always made us do reflective essays about our past, but at first I did not know how to do it and I did not know what she meant by “being reflective.” When I was having a problem with the assignment, she decided to talk to the class about how to be reflective. She started with a quote from Deepak Chopra that says, “the highest levels of performance come to people who are centered, intuitive, creative, and reflective - people who know to see a problem as an opportunity” (Chopra, n.d.).... [tags: Education, Learning, Educational psychology]
972 words (2.8 pages)
- For students on the path to becoming well-educated nurses, the concepts of reflective and critical thinking have been stressed to be of vital importance to not only the profession but also the process of learning. In this assignment I will apply the concept of reflective thinking by reflecting on my personal motivations for choosing the career of nursing, the reasons that lead me to believe I have the potential to be a successful nurse. Another important aspect of this essay is to introduce the concept of reflective practice and elaborate on the importance of nurses applying this in the field.... [tags: Health care provider, Health care, Patient]
833 words (2.4 pages)
- Defining and Implementing Reflective Practice After the engaged combat experiences of both the battle of Molino del Ray and Chapultepec, of which ended both in significant triumphs ascribed to America, Ulysses S. Grant spent time in meaningful reflection assessing the experiences in which he ascertained from these two distinct conflicts and his holistic Mexican War experiences. Grant’s concluding learned experiences were that these two war conflicts should have never been engaged by American forces and could have been championed utilizing an alternative battle strategy in which the Mexican soldiers would be outflanked an approach of which would have forced them to relinquish their military p... [tags: growth mindset, reflection, pedagogy]
1941 words (5.5 pages)
- By participating and leading a section during the ropes course, I was able to practice many leadership habits. For the purposes of this assignment, I will focus on the habit of reflective. It was my task to lead the group through the “Whale Watching” exercise. In this task, the group leader asked my partner and I to lead the entire group in a challenge where they would have to balance on a large platform that was resting on a pivot. Concerning the habit of reflective, I impacted the group by starting the exercise with a group reflection.... [tags: Learning, Skill, Leadership, Psychology]
711 words (2 pages)
- Reflection Writing a reflective essay is an important skill to practice. It will help me gain more appreciation and understanding of the assignment. This essay will reflect on my writing and learning process, focusing on my metacognitive development, and experiences. The assignment of Week 15 was to write an essay that compares and contrasts the rhetorical devices used by both Patrick Henry and Malcom X to reach similar goals with their audience members. Going into this assignment, I had very limited knowledge on Patrick Henry and Malcom X.... [tags: Writing, Rhetoric, Writing process, Essay]
1120 words (3.2 pages)
- As a student at the University of Southern Mississippi, I have learned the importance of reflecting on what I have learned. As a teacher, I believe that all students are teachable and that my teaching has a direct impact on their learning. I know that I will have some successful lessons and some ineffective lessons. Therefore, it is essential that I use reflective teaching. Reflective teaching means that I am constantly collecting, recording, and analyzing my strengths and weaknesses in the classroom.... [tags: Education, Learning, Learning styles, Teacher]
774 words (2.2 pages)
- Reflective Journal: Assignment 2 I. Experiences, Issues, and Topics with Preconceived Thoughts The purpose of this assignment is to summarize my learning from this course and how I may apply the information to my future practice as a social worker. I will examine different topics and issues that I have learned throughout the course, and then I will reflect my countertransference of emotions to raise personal awareness. The two chosen topics that I have learned about throughout this course that made the biggest emotional impact on me are Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and family violence.... [tags: Social Worker, Post Trauma Stress Disorder]
1336 words (3.8 pages)
- PZ1015 The importance of reflective practice within healthcare This assignment will discuss the importance of reflection and reflective practice within health and social care. Definitions of reflection and reflective practice will be given followed by, why reflective practice is important, including the Evidence based practice followed by the support of reflection. The essay will also discuss the governing bodies like the NMC (Nursing Midwifery Council), and the failings of the NHS through reflection such as the Francis report.... [tags: Health care, Patient, Health care provider]
925 words (2.6 pages)
- "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you." - - - Maya Angelou, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings Throughout the semester I have had to write a number of essays using a variety of techniques. Before college, I would write assuming that the only reader, or audience, would be my teacher. Composition helped me realize the many steps that are involved in the writing process from free writing to making a final copy. In order to create a good paper you need organize your ideas.... [tags: Reflective Essay]
522 words (1.5 pages)
- Reflective Self Analysis I’ve been a foreign student studying in the United States for four years. Education is extremely important to me. However, immediately after high school I didn’t have a desire to attend college. I perceived college as being difficult and I dreaded writing assignments for English classes. I later realized that I shouldn’t give up on educational goals simply because English isn’t my first language. I decided to give college a try and enrolled at The University of Texas at San Antonio, and am now enrolled in an English writing class.... [tags: Writing, Essay, Better, Essays]
882 words (2.5 pages)