Teacher content knowledge is significantly essential to the development of teaching and learning. How a teacher processes curriculum and their teaching style go hand and hand towards a student’s education. A teacher’s pedagogy and curriculum impacts and affects student achievement and the student’s education that they are teaching. I know that when I first started teaching my pedagogy was direct instruction. This paper provides a brief overview of my pedagogical content knowledge of math, describes my motivation to be a better instructor and ideas for whole school improvement.
The basis of my paper are reflections on my practice. I understand that teaching is a highly complex activity that draws on many kinds of knowledge. Teaching is a complex cognitive skill occurring in an ill-structure, dynamic environment. There are many knowledge systems that are fundamental to teaching, including knowledge of student thinking and learning, and knowledge of subject matter.
When thinking about PCK it is at the right angle intersection of content and pedagogy. A number of factors may influence the teaching of mathematics but teachers play an important role in the teaching and learning process. Mathematics has always been a subject that I enjoyed in school. My earliest memories are of my middle school math teacher. I remember for years I was a great math student. When entering 10th grade I meant with geometry and I was overwhelmed. My 10th grade math teacher was extremely supportive. She would not let me give up. I remember creating origami octahedrons and sketching linear and quadratic parent functions to this day.
She bought so much life to the subject and she helped me find the joy in math and teaching. Her enthusiasm...
... middle of paper ...
...en traveling from room to room. This problem for the first two months was making the teachers, staff and students very unhappy.
Working with my principal we added a new special for students called technology enrichment. This special will provide students with the opportunity to work with a classroom set of IPads and work online with new math RTI program. I had the information technology personal to download the app for the program. I sit and plan with the first year teachers that are providing the special to the students to make sure that they are meeting the needs of all of the students that they are encountering on a daily basis. Teachers also work with these teachers on lesson plans and differentiated instruction. Students that have been identified as Tier 3 will work with the technology enrichment teacher on different apps that will provide remediation.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- People is unique product. Differences in background, education, experience, intention make peoples different. You, me, my friends, your colleagues, everyone have different idea, life style, working style, learning style, and teaching style. The followings are my own reflections of learning and teaching based on my experience, moreover, they can be changed along the life. First Learning Style When I studied in bachelor of engineering, I used to get A from one subject that I only sit in the class and listen to the instructor.... [tags: pure lecture, transcript, grade]
1099 words (3.1 pages)
- : Writing Center Conference Reflection The writing center conference had a lot of useful information in each of the presentations that I attended. Each presentation had its own set of topics, which either provided ideas that were geared toward helping a particular group of students or just gave general information about certain programs that are available to help students succeed in school. There was also one presentation, which explained the results of a study conducted regarding writing center enrolled students.... [tags: Tutorial, Tutor, Teaching assistant, Paper]
903 words (2.6 pages)
- The aim of this essay is to discuss on how the reflection on mentorship will be undertaken, how and why the model of reflection will be used and the importance of confidentiality. I will reflect the mentorship by ensuring that the mentee during clinical practice is put at ease throughout the learning experience of four weeks (Quinn, and Hughes 2007, p. 29). Also, I will use the principle of Kolb’s learning cycle as my model of reflection because reflecting is an essential element of learning. As I am the mentor, I will follow this cycle in a clockwise direction with Jude, so she would have to reflect on the skills learnt by reviewing the whole situation (Kolb’s learning cycle 1984 in Rose an... [tags: Reflection Paper]
2694 words (7.7 pages)
- It is my belief that writing is a fundamental skill that can be inter-connected across all disciplines, that teachers must have a strong knowledge of content to be effective, that metacognition is an important aspect of learning and teaching, and that building self-efficacy is detrimental to the success of learners of all ages. This reflection paper will discuss new knowledge, theories, and strategies discovered thus far, a plan of action for integrating knowledge into teaching writing, issues teachers face in regards to writing including the strengths and challenges of observed middle school students, the development of my personal attitude about writing over time, my personal strengths and... [tags: Writing, Education, Teacher, Narrative]
969 words (2.8 pages)
- Reflection paper: The Social System A system is when all parts of a whole work together as one, in order to be effective. Inside the school, the environment is a social system of its own. While reading the power point The Social System, I understood that the leaders are the ones that must lead the creation of an open, all-inclusive culture in which each individual feels as an integral part of the whole. The parts of a Basic Social System as define by Hanson (1996), as cited in the presentation, are the input, teaching and learning, the environment, outputs, and the feedback.... [tags: Sociology, Education, Output, Systems theory]
1052 words (3 pages)
- Reflection Paper #5 The first topic is Cultural Diversity We need to be aware of the diversity in the classroom. Cultural diversity includes: bi-racial, adoptive, immigrant, gay, and step-families. It is a large majority of the students today even in my generation. Focusing on making a balanced curriculum that exposes the students to all of these different backgrounds is very important. I know that it is likely that a teacher will not be able to cater to every student, but it is important to involve each of them.... [tags: Education, Teacher, Stereotype, School]
1623 words (4.6 pages)
- Reflection Paper Having the chance to experience clinical rotations on the telemetry, medical surgical, labor and delivery and postpartum floors so far have been incredible. Although, throughout these last few months, I have certainly seen many nurses converse and behave in ways I would never imagine a registered nurse to. From these experiences I learned easier ways to quickly set up equipment, how to properly address situations when the family is present, and how to effectively communicate between doctors, physical therapists and case managers.... [tags: Nursing, Patient, Hospital]
1332 words (3.8 pages)
- As a trainer for a Health Trust it is my role to train all members of medical and non-medical employees how to use the clinical system. There has been a change in the clinical database by way of a new innovative system named Lorenzo which resulted in over 1000 employees being retrained on how to access the new clinical system to record their patient activity. The project began by requesting all members of staff to attend mandatory computer training as a requirement of their job specifications. As this was a vast process the training was divided in to clinical training and administrative training.... [tags: teaching, learning]
1685 words (4.8 pages)
- Final Reflection Paper To write a reflection paper about the whole TESOL project for the past one and a half years is not a difficult thing for me because I never regret my choice to study in Alliant International University and learning master’s TESOL program here. With completing the master’s TESOL program, I was be able to benefit a variety of new things from different courses, as well as refresh my memory on thing that I already knew. The first semester which I experienced left me a deep impression.... [tags: Learning, Education, Second language acquisition]
832 words (2.4 pages)
- At the beginning of my teaching career I had a great deal of knowledge. I knew the educational jargon and the favored teaching strategies, but what I lacked was the wisdom to effectively utilize my knowledge. For me, teaching is a continuous quest to obtain the wisdom necessary to help my students learn. Sometimes this wisdom is obvious as I work with the “golden children,” the children destined for success. But more often than not, it has come from the “problem children,” those unmotivated, hostile and obstinate children who dare me to teach them.... [tags: Reflection Paper]
862 words (2.5 pages)