Going into this class, I only knew the fundamentals of electromagnetic waves present in the brain during the various stages of sleep and basic information about some of the most common sleep disorders. Through my research for the various presentations in this class I learned about the psychological implications of some of the more obscure topics related to sleep including sleep walking, nightmares, and lucid dreaming. I learned that sleep walking occurs when a person is partially awoken from deep sleep, which allows them to regain some degree of consciousness and motor function without cognitive functioning. Throughout my research I also learned about the psychological benefits of nightmares in reference to overcoming fears and processing real-world dangers. I was familiar with the concept of lucid dreaming and dream manipulation, but I had never looked into it to determine if it was a legitimate thing; however, after researching the topic for a presentation in this class, I learned that it is in fact possible to become conscious of yourself dreaming and manipulate aspects of the dream. Additionally, I learned how crucial sleep is to humans, because sleep plays a key role in memory, brain fu...
... middle of paper ...
...riting skills significantly over the span of this seven week course, but I not realize that I was too quick to judge in each situation. I have improved my presenting, research, and writing skills through this class and I intend to continue improving throughout the remainder of my educational and professional careers. In addition to improving many skills that are crucial to students, I have learned a lot from the other presentations given by my classmates. Prior to this class I had very minimal knowledge or interest in many aspects of Chinese culture and society, Economics, and Biomedical engineering; however, after learning about all of these unfamiliar topics over the last five presentations, I have a newly developed appreciation for many of the topics discussed by my peers and it is highly likely that I will consciously stay informed in these subjects in the future.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- It was a usual Monday night in my house, I was running on no sleep and feeling rather cynical as a result. I was attempting to work on this very assignment when I came to realize I had literally no direction as how to write it. I truly believed I could never write this paper. My internal stress levels were running high and tolerance running low as I opened a document and tried to type ideas. Little did I know when I’m in this mental state I am purely unable to function correctly when it comes to thinking and analysis, which brings me to my perspective that I realized at that very moment: I absolutely cannot stand abstract thinking in any way, shape, or form.... [tags: Mind, Thought, Idea, Psychology]
1427 words (4.1 pages)
- Christopher mendoza Psych 33 Psychology reflection paper Throughout the school year we had many good topics as well as exercises that we have done in class go 5 that really stuck out to me and help improve my life for the better where the multiple intelligence worksheets how to communicate being aggressive assertive or submissive learning about the gender Norms of the Samoans stress and its effects and how it affects me in my day-to-day life And my personality traits and how it affects my life and who I hang around with.... [tags: Big Five personality traits, Psychology]
1592 words (4.5 pages)
- Final Reflection Assignment I’ve learned so much through this course. This course helped me learn behavior and people around me. Now I can see how it is hard for the people to live with their disorders. The society treats those people like outcasts and most of them even laugh at their disorder. Every behavior can be explained by psychology. Psychology explores human mental process and human behavior then tries to find a way to treat or make it better. There are different techniques and steps used to treat a patient.... [tags: Psychology, Behavior, Human behavior, Sociology]
815 words (2.3 pages)
- Summer Term Reflection Paper As I look back on the beginning of my journey to a better career and life I can remember the weeks and months leading up to the first day of class. I remember visiting the college and speaking with an advisor to decide exactly what it was I wanted to do, and the steps it would take for me to reach my goals. I recall talking with the advisor about the requirements for my General Education credits as well my need to take a preparatory class for algebra because I scored to low on the placement exam to be allowed to take the full college level math.... [tags: Reflection Paper]
995 words (2.8 pages)
- Pavanya Mantena Intro to Psychology Paper Operant conditioning is a type of learning in that an act is strengthened when followed by an incentive, whereas a behavior will be enfeeble when followed by a punishment. Operant conditioning is based on a simple theory that behavior is directly correlated by the consequences that follow it. Operant conditioning is broken into two parts of schedules of reinforcement: continuous and partial.... [tags: Reinforcement, Operant conditioning, Sleep]
1515 words (4.3 pages)
- Intern Reflection Paper The internship that I acquired during the summer of 2010 at the Greenwood Sports and Industrial Rehabilitation Center (GSIRC), allowed me to gain an immeasurable amount of experience during my tenure at this facility. Within this period, the exposure to new concepts within the physical therapy industry allowed me to observe and work hands on with patients of all ages and disabilities that exposed me to various treatment plans and programs to restore client’s mobility. The essential Physical Education and Exercise Science (PEES) courses taken at Lander University were beneficial to my academic knowledgebase, which prepared me and developed me for the opportunity within... [tags: Reflection Paper]
875 words (2.5 pages)
- Reflection Paper on Foodcorp Simulation The Foodcorp simulation was a great exercise for this class. It was a fun activity. I felt that the materials and the situations reflected the real organizational experiences. There were thirteen roles with different responsibilities in the simulation. These roles create a structure of the organization. For example, these roles create a three level of hierarchy, two groups of products; frozen foods and dry foods, and the subsidiaries. I played the roles of senior vice president of frozen foods, vice president of production and vice president of sales and marketing of frozen foods.... [tags: Personal Reflection]
1407 words (4 pages)
- My reflections as a student teacher, through my program of study in the Graduate Diploma of Early Childhood teaching with Macquarie University, provides evidence and enhances my professional growth in three of Macquarie University’s Graduate Capabilities. Macquarie University furnishes their students with Graduate Capabilities that will enable them to reach their full potential with competencies and exchangeable knowledge regardless of the discipline. Graduate Capabilities also equip graduates to endow themselves with a good career and profession with high quality and excellent standards (Barrie, 2006; Higher Education Council, 1992; Macquarie University, 2008).... [tags: Childhood, Developmental psychology, Education]
1449 words (4.1 pages)
- The story of, “The World Champions Tragedy,” is a story of ordinary people. Everyday terrible tragedies happen that we hear about in the news. Most people will obviously feel sympathy for these things, but isn’t it true that, the majority of us will say, “That will never happen to me.” Maybe, most of us won’t verbally say something like that, but maybe we subconsciously feel or think like that. This story is an ordinary one of ordinary people. Unfortunately, in our society, people become victims and offenders do to certain circumstances and situations.... [tags: Reflection Paper]
2394 words (6.8 pages)
- Sleep “The worst thing in the world is to try to sleep and not to, then forcing oneself to stay awake for days on end must surely come a close second.” - F Scott Fitzgerald We spend one third of our lives doing it, and yet, some of us never seem to be able to get enough. People all over the world don’t receive enough sleep whether it’s from a medical condition like narcolepsy, or simply not having enough time in a day. The effects of getting a good night’s rest are essential and signs of sleep depravation are not as hard to spot as one may think.... [tags: Sleeping Health Sleep Essays]
2505 words (7.2 pages)