EDUC-500 Reflection Paper
For many people, their experiences during the years spent in school from PreK through their senior year of high school are incredibly formative. The environment that they spend time in, their interactions with other students and teachers, and the methods used to teach them all impact the student both in that moment and in the future. In this paper, I will talk about my school experiences during those years and reflect on how they may have impacted my life today.
As a whole, I think the latter half of my schooling made a bigger impact on me today than my PreK through 6th grade years did. This is when I met a few of the most influential teachers I ever had, and they should receive the credit for making me want to become a teacher. In high school I had a two teachers that had a huge impact on me, Mr. Panzer and Mrs. Palmer. Mr. Panzer taught history, the subject that I want to teach, and Mrs. Palmer was my art teacher for three years, and had a hand in a few of my extracurricular activities as well. Mr. Panzer’s teaching style wasn’t amazing on its own, He lectured off of an old overhead projector that he had named Gunther, and he talked the entire period. What made him stand out to me, and what made me love history and want to teach it, was the way he used to break up his lectures with stories about whatever topic was at hand, and his charismatic personality. Despite the fact that we were just lectured at for 45 minutes a day on global history, Mr. Panzer was able to hold our attention with these stories, his never ending source of knowledge, and his love for the subject. He was able to make the old, tired facts and figures we had learned about for years come to life and seem brand new. ...
... middle of paper ...
...ind that those are usually more beneficial to me, because it eliminates any awkwardness a group assignment might have, and it opens up the room for a larger discussion so you can hear about ideas that you might not have heard otherwise. I typically find that using small group assignments too often is detrimental to me because it is usually too time consuming, which leads to the rest of the lesson being rushed through.
I think that, as a whole, these experiences from my own schooling started to define who I would become as a person before I even thought about becoming a teacher. I am an avid reader, and whenever someone brings up something I did not know about previously I immediately begin to read up on it. I have always loved learning and knowing things, but I never put as much of an emphasis on it until I began to have teachers that showed me the importance of it.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Summer Term Reflection Paper As I look back on the beginning of my journey to a better career and life I can remember the weeks and months leading up to the first day of class. I remember visiting the college and speaking with an advisor to decide exactly what it was I wanted to do, and the steps it would take for me to reach my goals. I recall talking with the advisor about the requirements for my General Education credits as well my need to take a preparatory class for algebra because I scored to low on the placement exam to be allowed to take the full college level math.... [tags: Reflection Paper]
995 words (2.8 pages)
- Treeline Elementary School Reflection Monday, February 1st, I observed Ms. Warhendorf’s second grade class. Ms. Warhendorf is the students’ teacher, but most of the lessons were taught by a Florida Gulf Coast University student doing her Level II internship. The class was quite diverse. The class consisted of Causcasion, Hispanic, and Black students. There were multiple students with learning disabilities. The classroom was diversely decorated with bullying posters stating, “Take A Stand. Lend A Hand.” The posters showed a diverse group of students.... [tags: Education, Teacher, Student, School]
873 words (2.5 pages)
- Reflection paper: The Social System A system is when all parts of a whole work together as one, in order to be effective. Inside the school, the environment is a social system of its own. While reading the power point The Social System, I understood that the leaders are the ones that must lead the creation of an open, all-inclusive culture in which each individual feels as an integral part of the whole. The parts of a Basic Social System as define by Hanson (1996), as cited in the presentation, are the input, teaching and learning, the environment, outputs, and the feedback.... [tags: Sociology, Education, Output, Systems theory]
1052 words (3 pages)
- Reflection to Current Culture Paper For my culture paper I decided to write about a film, the film is called “Aqui Entre Nos” (Between Us). Throughout the paper I will discuss how the concepts of family and communication are portrayed in the film. “Aqui Entre Nos” is Mexican comedy yet it also a movie that makes you reflect on life. In the film we are introduced to the Guerra family. The head provider of the family and father of three Rodolfo Guerra, his stay at home wife Miriam Guerra and their three daughter Sofia the oldest , Victoria the middle child and Ana Paula the youngest one.... [tags: Communication, Marriage, Graphic communication]
1469 words (4.2 pages)
- Psych 356: Reflection Paper The topic that I have found most intriguing in this class so far is the idea of fixed vs. growth mindset, as discussed in the motivation lectures and the Dweck (2007) reading. As Dweck (2007) states, these two mindsets refer to the way in which we view intelligence. On one hand, a fixed mindset posits that intelligence is an innate characteristic and that we cannot do much to change it. For many students, a fixed mindset is demotivating because it implies that they cannot improve their intelligence.... [tags: Motivation, Educational psychology, Education]
999 words (2.9 pages)
- Reflection Paper Having the chance to experience clinical rotations on the telemetry, medical surgical, labor and delivery and postpartum floors so far have been incredible. Although, throughout these last few months, I have certainly seen many nurses converse and behave in ways I would never imagine a registered nurse to. From these experiences I learned easier ways to quickly set up equipment, how to properly address situations when the family is present, and how to effectively communicate between doctors, physical therapists and case managers.... [tags: Nursing, Patient, Hospital]
1332 words (3.8 pages)
- Critical Reflection Paper Dr. Martin Luther King (1963) spoke eloquently as he declared, “I have a dream that my four little children will live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character” (p. 5). Dr. King’s dream of a character-based society is not one that denies its cultural diversity, but that celebrates it as an integral part of its character. Educators help create this society by using their knowledge, skills, and disposition to celebrate his or her students’ cultural heritage while refining characters to become productive members of society.... [tags: Education, School, Teacher, Multilingualism]
1525 words (4.4 pages)
- Reflection Paper Cornelia C. Welch-Dick University of Southern Mississippi Reflection Paper After a summer internship at a news station that was in direct correlation with my declared undergraduate major, I am anxious to begin focusing my work and study toward higher education student affairs. My experience this summer forced me to do some self-evaluation and assessment as far as my strengths, weaknesses, and what kind of environment I envision myself thriving in. My vision for my career is ever developing.... [tags: Graduate school, College]
1171 words (3.3 pages)
- Self reflection paper Family is a social unit of two or more person related by blood, marriage, or adoption and having a shared commitment to mutual relationship. Family is where everything starts. We get our sense of identity from our family, which is a strong agent of socialization. Family can contribute to make us or to break us, this is where we learn values that will shape our life. This is also where we learn to obey or reinforce the norms of society. In this essay, I will reflect on my family structure and experience and elaborate on how these experiences had a hug influence on my choices, values and personal goals.... [tags: Family, Marriage, Mother, Father]
1683 words (4.8 pages)
- Writing papers has been one of my biggest fears as a student. High school English class prepared me for the editing of my essays, for example, grammatical errors, spelling, font errors, and things that were under the category of fixing my paper. I realized that the writing process requires more than just editing, you have to understand that the paper is like a human body, it cannot function if every single part is not effective. I can certainly say that I have improved as a writer a great deal and this portfolio and the final revised drafts of my work certainly can argue for that.... [tags: Reflection Essay]
899 words (2.6 pages)