The purpose of this paper is to discuss specific factors that are related to dro...
... middle of paper ...
...om both genders and from diverse cultural, language, and ethnic groups have an equal chance to experience school success. (p. 20)
Research does support indicators other than standardized tests and grades increases the dropout rate. It also reports that freshman academies can have a positive effect on the dropout rate and achievement gap. Research also supports multicultural education integrated into pre-service teacher education programs and school curricula can improve the high dropout rates and the wide achievement gap.
If we are to successfully educate all students in a multicultural society, we must continue to address the issues that are hindering our children from exposing their full potential. Banks (1993) stated, “Thus, early exposure to a multicultural curriculum has the most likelihood of success” (as cited in Christie, 2009).
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Each year, children are failing in school. As the years progress, the number of children failing keep rising. In "Closing the Achievement Gap", Kati Haycock, the Director of the Education Trust at the American Association for Higher Education, states " Between 1970 and 1988, the achievement gap between African American and white students was cut in half, and the gap separating Latinos and whites declined by one-third. That progress came to a halt around 1988, however, and since that time, the gaps have widened" (6).... [tags: Closing the Achievement Gap]
1572 words (4.5 pages)
- Throughout the years the dropout rate of African Americans has increased and decreased. Many people look at black students as if they sit there and do not learn anything at all but we do try. Some may think that the only reason the black students drop out is because their grades, but that’s not true. Some dropout because of financial pressure, health problems, mental, emotional, and social issues, and may not have family support. “Blacks have been historically been under represented for the past years” (Herndon 489).... [tags: Blacks, African Americans, College Dropout Rates, ]
485 words (1.4 pages)
- Introduction Education experts have spent many years planning and revising learning material and assessment tools to meet the demands of diverse learners coming into the 21st century. Educators have responded to this demand by becoming more aware of the need for a multicultural education program that helps meet the needs of each diverse learner, examining their own attitudes and bias opinions toward minority students, and acknowledging the important role every stakeholder plays in providing an equal education to every learner.... [tags: prospects and challenges in the 21st century]
1627 words (4.6 pages)
- Closing the Academic Achievement Gap Crisis in America The Achievement Gap in America has separated and divided America's youth into more or less, two different cultures of socioeconomic placement. The first being the predominantly Caucasian students at American elementary schools, high schools, and colleges that excel greatly in their education. Most of the time earning them middle to upper class jobs in the economy, the aforementioned group contrasts significantly with its opposite culture of American youth.... [tags: Education, Minorities]
2009 words (5.7 pages)
- What role do you believe a counselor should take in closing the achievement gap. Is this an issue strictly for teachers and administrators. What specific strategies could a counselor use to be a part of closing the achievement gap. Use information from the required reading (as well as other research you can find), but also try to be creative and think of a strategy in addition to the ones you have read. Locate, read, and cite at least three journal articles in your response to these assignments.... [tags: teaching, leadership, guidance counselors]
949 words (2.7 pages)
- A Review of the Literature The increase or decrease of student achievement has developed an area that has brought instruction, curriculum and assessment under the microscope of public view. Vertical Alignment also known as alignment of curriculum using common core standards has showed signs of an increase in student achievement (Roach, Niebling, & Kurz, 2008). Research shows that a vertical alignment of a balanced curriculum, student achievement does indeed improve (Baker & Linn, 2002). “During the past half-century there has been a growing body of evidence supporting fundamental educational truism: that what and how much students are taught is associated with, and likely influences, what an... [tags: student achievement and dropout rates]
1485 words (4.2 pages)
- Outcomes In Relation to EBD The literature indicates that outcomes for students with EBD were, by and large, positive and indicated that dropout interventions geared toward students with behavioral issues show some potential success for students. Sinclair, Christenson, & Thurlow (2005) found 44% of students within the treatment group with EBD as the primary special education qualifier were more likely to persist in school, whereas only 33% of students with EBD in the control group had the same likelihood.... [tags: Education, Dropout Prevention Programming, high s]
2548 words (7.3 pages)
- Dropping out is defined as leaving school without a high school diploma or equivalent credential such as a General Educational Development (GED) certificate as defined by the National Center for Education Statistics. To see high school students make the ultimate decision to give up is really disappointing. There are numerous of reasons that causes white teens to dropout in the Delta; such as drug addiction, pregnancy, academic issues, the school they attend, the teachers they have, the community their brought up in and etc.... [tags: education dropout, school commitment]
1130 words (3.2 pages)
- Achievement. What does one think when they hear that word. Maybe they think of a person that has achieved something really big, like Bill Gates. He is one of the most riches people in the world. The reason of why one may have read this may be unknown, but when they finish this, they will know what the definition of achievement really is. The purpose of this paper is to teach one about the word achievement and what makes it important. What is achievement. Achievement is something that is accomplished successfully (Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary).... [tags: Achievement, ]
931 words (2.7 pages)
- What Documents To Review At A Closing For A Mortgage Three important mortgage documents 1. Mortgage 2. Note 3. HUD-1 Settlement Statement Mortgage • People who sign only have an interest in the property and our not responsible to pay for the loan • Make sure the correct legal description and address are listed • Gives the rights of the mortgage company o Usually very standard • Secures the note • Gives the lender a claim against the home if you fail to live up to the terms of the loan Note • Those who sign the note are responsible for paying the mortgage and their credit will be effected (positively and/or negatively) by the loan • States the in... [tags: Mortgage Closing Documents]
2180 words (6.2 pages)