English 3 Section 16
12 Sep 2014
In 2013, one of the ten winners of the Apple Design Awards was “Finish”, a mobile application designed to help students stop procrastinating and manage their homework. This application was developed by two high school sophomore students, Ryan Orbuch and Michael Hansen, in an effort to prevent themselves from procrastinating and keep up with their class assignments. “Finish” allows users to input and prioritize tasks into short, medium, and long term categories, and will later send reminders to complete the tasks based on the time limits used. As of March 2014, it was downloaded 50,000 times and is currently trying to get more users on board with its new free version (Crook). Be it via blocking off distractions or helping to manage to-do lists, there are also many other programs, such as “Finido” and “Procraster”, that aim to help individuals stop procrastinating. With more and more of such applications being developed, this certainly hints to the prevalence of procrastination in individuals today.
For many of us, procrastination is a very familiar practice—especially when tasked with work we don’t want to do. Whether it is preparing a presentation at work, doing household chores at home, or reading through class materials for school, we love to say “I’ll do it later”. This dawdling is especially prevalent among students, with more than 70% exhibiting it here in North America (Schouwenburg). But, what exactly is procrastination? Experts define it as the “voluntary delay of some important task that we intend to do, despite knowing that we’ll suffer as a result” and reckon that it stems from the failure to self-regulate (Jaffe). In oth...
... middle of paper ...
Tempest, Kathryn. Cicero: Politics and Persuasion in Ancient Rome. Google Books. A&C
Black, 24 Mar. 2011: 198. Web. 08 Sept. 2014.
Tice, Dianne, and Roy Baumeister. “Longitudinal Study of Procrastination, Performance, Stress,
and Health: The Costs and Benefits of Dawdling”. Psychological Science. Sage, Nov. 1997. Web. 08 Sept. 2014.
Wiegartz, Pamela. “Can Procrastination Ever Be a Good Thing?”. Psychology Today: Health,
Help, Happiness + Find a Therapist. Sussex Publishers, LLC, 8 Apr. 2011. Web. 08 Sept. 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Case Analysis IDEO: Human Centered Service Design 12/4/2016 Mounika Dasari Background: HISTORY IDEO is an international design and innovation consulting firm founded in 1991 by David Kelley Design. The organization has undergone significant expansion in the past two decades. It employs over 700 people and generates approximately $150 millions in revenues. IDEO’s motto depends on creative people who can innovate design within the context of human needs (founded by Stanford University, Professor David Kelley).... [tags: Design, Design management, National Design Awards]
1239 words (3.5 pages)
- Apple brand audit In fact, about this business one can easily write a few weighty books. Without exaggeration, we can say that Apple is one of the brightest technology companies that appeared in the 70s of the last century. Due to innovative technology and aesthetic design, Apple Inc. has established a unique reputation comparable to the cult in the consumer electronics industry. In 2014 the company was ranked first in the world by market capitalization. The concept of the brand is built around the slogan 'Think different’ (Linzmayer, 2004).... [tags: Apple Inc., IPhone, Steve Jobs, Personal computer]
3224 words (9.2 pages)
- Apple’s Social Performance Apple is a multinational business company credited with the revolution of the technology industry. It was formed in 1976 by Steve Wozniak, Steve Jobs, and Ronald Wayne and is currently based in California. Its first computer was invented in the 1970s, but it was not until the 1980s that the company made its products available to the public. It specializes in designing, developing, and marketing computer products and services. Its success is derived from its high quality products that appeal to a large number of customers all over the world.... [tags: Apple Inc., IPhone, IPhone OS, ITunes]
1536 words (4.4 pages)
- The sole purpose of graphic design is the communication of a message and idea through art and graphics. Its beginnings can be traced back from the first cave paintings in Lascaux, France, to the hieroglyphs of the Egyptian culture, and eventually to the introduction of print and digital mediums. For an ancient practice that has turned into a massive industry, it is troubling to see that according to a poll question that was conducted in 2012, about 93% of graphic designers agreed to the statement that the graphic design industry is in bad shape and do not know where the discipline is headed (Tortorella).... [tags: Graphic design, Design, Typography]
2095 words (6 pages)
- Ever since I was a little girl, my mom used to have me watch movies in English so I would get better at the language. That activity soon developed into a longtime love for watching movies of all kinds. From comedies to dramas, I found that movies gave me a certain space for myself and showed me new places and worlds to explore. That love of movies led me to discovering one of the biggest influences in my life: The Academy Awards. I was ten years old when I first watched the ceremony and being so young at the time, all I knew was that a group of celebrities gathered to celebrate movies.... [tags: Media]
1112 words (3.2 pages)
- While a market for the Apple I was clearly grown, Steve Jobs would again drive the Apple Inc. to develop a personal computer with an ease of use that was previously unknown to consumers. The introduction of the ‘Apple II’ refocused the self-assembly kit idea of the home computer to one of a commercially ready product. The Apple II brought along a wide availability of software for its’ operating system. Many programs were extensively adopted in numerous schools across the country and in resulted in the development of further educational software (Atkinson 87).... [tags: Apple Inc., Personal computer, Apple II series]
1560 words (4.5 pages)
- Interior design is one of the most important professions. When thinking of design and architecture industry, it is necessary to keep in mind that the professionals emphasis on matters of everyday life when commencing a project. Important sectors of interior design consist of: residential, commercial, hospitality, healthcare, education and corporate designs. Thus, the field deals with numerous factors and affects almost everyone in some way. Design is goal-oriented– it strives to achieve a certain purpose.... [tags: Design, Designer, Interior design]
748 words (2.1 pages)
- Apple Inc. Online channels The horizontal integration of Apple products is enhanced by the downloadable facility provided by their online stores. It enables complementary products such as Apple Store, iTunes to be access at anytime with customers downloading 85 billion Apple Store items in 2014 (Green 2016). Additionally, online stores provide easy access to hardware products for customers not situated near a store or time poor. Non Apple Retail Outlets Retailers and wholesalers of Apple products serve to make products available across sectors that hold a large product variety, such as JB HiFi and Officeworks.... [tags: Marketing, Retailing, Apple Inc., Apple Store]
1211 words (3.5 pages)
- Apple’s History In almost every part of the world Apple and at least one of their products is known. The Apple brand started in the 1970s. Three men founded the organization in 1976, to produce a computer that every citizen could use personally (Sohail, 2010). The first item released was the Apple 1 personal computer kit made by Steve Wozniak (Sohail, 2010). Through the 70s, Apple concentrated on developing storing technologies such as the floppy disk and the use of color, graphics, and spreadsheets used for business (Sohail, 2010).... [tags: Technology, Apple's Powerbook]
1144 words (3.3 pages)
- Introduction: With the very high demand in the market place for a musical device called the IPod, it’s no surprise that the IPhone, a hybrid of a phone and music device that it will be a big hit in the market place. This highly anticipated electronic trend setter had thousands of people waiting in line at the apple store in New York, and all over the country trying to get their hands on this iPhone. The IPod combined with a Phone, gives birth to this amazing product which has the following features: a 3.5 inch touch screen (the largest of all smart phones), Wi-Fi connectivity, the most usage time of all smart phones, i.e.... [tags: Technology Smart Phone Apple]
1754 words (5 pages)