One point that Chase specifically mentioned as important was “Keeping user profiles limited so that software cannot be installed and the continual monitoring of files and emails for inappropriate content.” There is, however, an unfortunate side effect to this monitoring. Legitimate and useful sites are also being blocked to both student and teachers of the Phoenix Elementary School District (PESD). In the United States, Kindergarten-12th grade schools are required by law to add filters to blocks sites obscene and harmful to minors. This requirement comes from a federal law enacted by congress called the Children's Internet Protection Act (CIPA). This law is indeed important for the safety of children at school. However, it only requires that there is sufficient monitoring it does not specify what specific sites should be monitored. Therefore it is up to the school to decide.
An example of a possibly legitimate site that is currently being blocked by PESD and many other schools is YouTube. This is blocked for both teachers and students. YouTube contains helpful how-to videos, current events, and educational content that could prove a valuable asset. While it is true that offensive content can be found on YouTube, we submit that at least the teachers should have access to YouTube, web 2.0, and other legitimate sites. They should also be able to grant access to their students on a case-by-case basis.
If the technology department does not feel like the teachers are educated enough to be in charge of their students’ and their own online safety, it would be a good idea to provide online safety training for the teachers. Because online threats are always changing and growing, this traini...
... middle of paper ...
...ict it may take days for someone come on site to assist. A quick solution to this issue would be to hire more technology staff. They might even want to hire on-call technicians instead of fulltime staff, as long as there is somebody available to assist the faculty and staff when needed.
If they are truly limited in the amount of staff they can hire, they may want to lighten the load of the workers by investing in cloud computing. For example, the free Google Apps for Educators could lighten the load tremendously. This service, provided by Google, gives teachers and even students email, Google Docs, web site creation, and scheduling all for free. This could eliminate the need for expensive email and document servers and software. More importantly, it could take the focus off of server administration and more on teacher and staff technology development.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Recommendations My recommendation to the CEO for reducing the abuse of the internet at work is to implement monitoring of all internet activity. It could be helpful for the CEO to put restriction on certain websites that she does not feel comfortable allowing access to at work. The only thing you need to do at work is the work that you are being paid for. It can be considered illegal if the CEO states that employees cannot utilize social media sites during their personal time. The CEO can state that the employees can only use their personal devices to do personal business.... [tags: Board of directors, Corporate governance]
1016 words (2.9 pages)
- TABLE OF CONTENTS 1.0 HISTORY: 6 2.0 INTRODUCTION: 6 3.0 SCOPE: 7 4.0 RECOMMENDATIONS: 7 4.1 Physical Security: Operation Class; Physical and Environmental Family (ID:PE): 7 Table 1; Recommended Common Physical and Environmental Controls 6 4.2 Network Security: Technical Class; ID & Authentication (ID:IA), Access Control (ID:AC), Audit & Accountability (ID:AU) and System & Communications Protection (ID:SC): 7 Table 2; Recommended Common Network Controls (IA) 7 Table 3; Recommended Common Network Controls (AC) 6 Table 4; Recommended Common Network Controls (AU) 6 Table 5; Recommended Common Network Controls (SC) 7 4.3 Data Security: Technical Class; Systems and Information Integrity (SI): 7... [tags: Network Security]
1921 words (5.5 pages)
- At the very beginning of the internet age in the early 1990’s, web analytics was only available to a few, large organizations that could sufficiently invest in its effective implementation. Small businesses were left in the dark in gaining insights about their website. The only viable option was to survey customers through the mail or in-person to evaluate whether they visit the site, when they visit the site, for how long they visit the page, and any recommendations that they had for website improvements.... [tags: Small business, Business, New Jersey]
796 words (2.3 pages)
- In todays competitive landscape, technology is becoming a critical component to building product name recognition and customer base. This company’s current network and server infrastructure are aging and are at a point where a complete refresh is necessary in order to meet current new technology trends. One key new technology development will be in switching over from IPv4 to IPv6, a movement that this company cannot afford to ignore. In addition to positioning this company to be IPv6 complaint, there is a strong need for better internal collaboration tools to help promote easier group communication and sharing of documents.... [tags: IP address, Internet, Internet Protocol, IPv6]
1282 words (3.7 pages)
- The Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act (or the USA PATRIOT act) was enacted on October 26th, 2001 by president George W. Bush with the intention that the American Government could monitor multimedia use and prevent acts of terror. It was passed shortly after the September 11 attacks on the World Trade Centers in New York City. This article allows the government to view any net traffic that they consider dangerous. The government does this through the use of “bulk capture” systems.... [tags: Ptriot Act, Terrorism Acts, United States]
1098 words (3.1 pages)
- It is a great honor to write a letter of recommendation for Alejandra Galaviz. I have known Alejandra for three years in an academic setting. She was one of my finest Spanish students three years ago and she always motivated other students to succeed as well. She has been my most trusted teacher’s assistant for the last two years. She is one of the most mature, helpful, reliable and trustworthy students I have taught in my 12 years of public teaching. As a public high school teacher, I have seen hundreds of students walk in and out of my classroom over the last 12 years, and Alejandra is in the top 1% of students who have had a positive impact on me.... [tags: Recommendation]
848 words (2.4 pages)
- Australia is dependent on technology, everything from state security, economics and information collaboration is more accessible resulting in an increased reliance on digital networks. The rapid increase in cyber activity has a symbiotic relationship with cyber crime. The evolving nature of cyber crimes are constantly leaving counter measures obsolete in the face of these new technologies. Australia takes insufficient action against cyber crime, inaction is based on Australia’s previous focus on counter-terrorism.... [tags: Internet Crime, Cyber Crime Essays]
972 words (2.8 pages)
- Cliptomania: An Overview “The Cliptomania Web Store” is a case study which analyses the strategic challenges faced by the founders of www.Cliptomania.com. The Santos, Jim and Candy, developed the idea of selling clip on earrings when they discovered an underserved niche in the market place and subsequently established Cliptomania, LLC. When the Santo’s family started the company in 1999 they had little competition and managed to create a stable business with increased growth, despite the investment of little start up cost and a somewhat limited knowledge of the dot.com industry.... [tags: World Wide Web, Internet, Web page]
1020 words (2.9 pages)
- Dear Sir/Madame I am writing this letter to give my highest possible recommendation for Mr. Smith. I know Mr. Smith through his work in my office. Mr. Smith first approached me two years ago about the possibility of an internship in our company for the summer. At our first meeting I described the general outline of the project the he might work on. He asked good questions and appeared intelligent. He then went to the library and found many papers on the subject and read them carefully. He did this independently - I did not ask him to do this.... [tags: Letters of Recommendation]
356 words (1 pages)
- Internet2 Internet2 was formed in 1006 with an original 34 institutions participating. With Internet2, the Clinton Administration was trying to advance technologies for many people. Their first step was to connect 100 institutions at 100 times the speed of the current internet. The applications generated by this research have already had a positive affect on fields such as health care, national security, distance learning, energy research, environmental monitoring, and manufacturing. Internet2 is an extremely interesting subject.... [tags: Internet Computers Technology Essays]
1512 words (4.3 pages)