The reason I decided to pursue a career in accounting is because I have always been interested in the business world and accounting is considered a basic tool of business. I have worked for small and large business firms; also in private and public sectors which helped me develop a strong linking with the industry as a whole and solidified my interest in accounting.
Pursuing the degree in accounting would definitely open up the doors for me. It can prepare me for advancement and give me the foundations to become a CPA, to pursue a career in finance or corporate management, to work in government, or become an entrepreneur. As a matter of fact, no matter what I decide to do, having an accounting background provides me with the skills in demand for this complex business environment.
Having a strong liking into the world of business, I am still undecided in the area that I would like to focus on. Accounting offers a variety of job opportunities in three major areas: public accounting, private accounting, and government and not-for profit accounting. Public accountants perform a range of accounting tasks such as auditing, tax, and consulting services. Private accountants, on the other hand are trained in the processing of a variety of accounting transactions, such as accounts payable and billings. Management accountants also help organizations plan the cost of doing business.
The career path of a public accountant will either advance working as an auditor or they will work in tax accounting. For private accountants can become controllers or chief financial officers. CFOs are responsible for all internal accounting functions as well as treasury, risk management and investor relations.
... middle of paper ...
... advantages and disadvantages. Public accountants have greater variety of exposure in working with different clients and industries; also, advancement opportunities may become sooner. On the other hand, private accountants can reach management levels without a CPA license and advancement opportunities may not come as quickly. This overview presented me a better idea of where a degree in accounting could take me. Knowing that I have a variety of opportunities and room for growth give me the confidence I need to Pursuing the degree would definitely open up the doors for me. Similarly, knowing that I have a detail oriented personality is a perfect fit for the world of accounting; I feel confident that my analytical, math and communication skills will help me to become a trustworthy and reliable accountant who help people to become more efficient with their businesses.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Choosing a Career as an Athletic Trainer The number of employment opportunities for athletic trainers in the secondary school setting has substantially increased in the past few years and will more than likely continue to grow in the future5. As the number of athletic trainers in the secondary school increases, as do the number of high school aged students who are being exposed to the athletic training profession. More than ever before, athletic trainers are playing a key role in the development and future of the profession due to their ability to influence students’ perceptions of the profession5.... [tags: High school, Education, College, Secondary school]
810 words (2.3 pages)
- Nowadays, a college degree is an essential part of a person’s resume. Choosing a college is tough especially for high school juniors and seniors. There are many factors that influence a student to choose a college such as student life, curriculum, length of program, return of investment and employability after college among other things. Since the late 20th century, students have been using college ranking reports such as the U.S News and World Report which put out yearly ranks of colleges in different categories; they also have an overall list for the top ranking schools.... [tags: University, Higher education, Madrasah, Education]
1364 words (3.9 pages)
- Reasons for choosing to study at California Baptist University Every aspect of California Baptist University Jabs School of Business MBA program, from its global study trip to the courses offered to its global accreditation is what attracted me to apply for the program. The MBA program at CBU will give me the opportunity to acquire international business experience through its international study trip. Studying abroad will expose me to foreign cultures and customs and teach me how to conduct business across cultures.... [tags: Business school]
1190 words (3.4 pages)
- Personal/ Professional Goals As a child growing up in an impoverished neighborhood and in a low income family; I always had dreams and goals of helping other families that endured the same struggles I encountered as a child. My desire grew stronger as I watched my grandmother effortlessly helping the lives of battered women and children. She was very passionate about everything she did to help someone even if she had to use her last dime. Her devotion and aspiration to help people in need is why I chose to pursue a career in social work.... [tags: Social work, Sociology, Social sciences]
782 words (2.2 pages)
- ... Research indicates that one of the key characteristics of a quality education is a sensitive and responsive caregiver. Other features are excessive planning ahead, predicting social and academic performances of children, and helping children feel confident in themselves (Rentzou 368). As for teachers at a higher level of education, teachers must prepare for students that may cause problems with other students and have the ability to deal to resolve the conflict as needed. It may call for parental contact (“High School Teachers”) or something as simple as talking to the students, telling how to prevent future incidents.... [tags: caregiver, students, degree]
758 words (2.2 pages)
- Inspiration Every nursing student retains a motivation that drove him or her into the nursing profession, whether that stands as a personal experience, personality type, or a role model. I chose to enter the nursing profession during high school, when I found myself struggling physically and mentally with my health. In the past four years, I received multiple diagnosis - bulimia nervosa, anorexia nervosa, depression, and anxiety. The vulnerability and emptiness that I felt in the past four years stands as the motivation for pursing nursing career.... [tags: Nursing, Illness, Health, Medicine]
707 words (2 pages)
- Over the course of time, the reasons for receiving an education have changed, and so has the economy. Everyone bases their lives off of going to college, getting a degree, just to find a nice paying job or career. At least, that is the main goal as of now. Although we go into college with an interest, choosing a major changes when one is discouraged about the future income of their major. It is now sought out to be, that a higher education is also benefiting the government. I cannot grasp myself to believe that an education is for the education anymore; instead, it is more for finding efficient employment.... [tags: Higher education, Education, University]
1224 words (3.5 pages)
- Whether it’s independence from family, new experiences, or even an education, college provides enough incentive for millions of students to leave home and attend. Going to college immediately after high school is quickly becoming an expectation for many as it’s widely viewed as the door to promising job opportunities. Having a degree is becoming a prerequisite for making a living as the wage gap between those with and without degrees has increased. The benefits and reasons to go to college are seemingly endless.... [tags: University, Higher education, High school]
1007 words (2.9 pages)
- Thinking for Ourselves "I sit in class and daydream about everything but what's being said by the instructor." "I just can't pay attention for very long." "It's so boring!" These comments can be heard in the hallways of the finest Universities this country has to offer, every hour of every day. We all hear these comments, and at times, even say them ourselves. Why is this the case. Could it be that we are just not interested in the subject at all. If this is true, maybe we should ask ourselves a few questions.... [tags: Choosing Career Degree Education Essays]
1805 words (5.2 pages)
- Choosing a career is one of the most important decisions a person has to make in their life. It is so important because that is what we will have to do to support ourselves throughout life. Imagine being stuck in a dead end job and having to go to work every morning and dreading it. That is no spending oneÕs time and life is too short to work 35 years and be unhappy with it. If a person likes the job they do then it is not work, because finding satisfaction out of a job can bring great happiness.... [tags: essays research papers]
369 words (1.1 pages)