Upon doing more research, studies show that having a dog will increase your mood. Dogs help with anxiety disorders and are more likely to keep you calm in stressful situations. Not only that, but having a dog is said to improve your blood pressure as well as promote a healthy lifestyle. When it comes to children, having a dog is said to increase the child’s self-esteem, kids tend to miss less school, and children growing up with dogs, rather than cats or no pets, are said to have less chance of allergies and a lower chance of having eczema. Dogs increase social interaction and have a very protective nature (Wang).
Shelters are becoming over populated because most owners do not spay or neuter their pets. “It 's estimated that 70-80 million dogs and 74-96 million cats are owned in the United States (APPA).” Accor...
... middle of paper ...
...tter life. I like that shelters will help cover the costs of the shots, microchip, as well as to “fix” my animal all before they are ready to come home. I was also surprised as the intense home visits that are conducted, as well as the type of interview process. Dogs and cats, once adopted, become part of your family and should be treated with the love and respect that everyone in a family is given. Puppy mills and pet stores need to closed down, for good. There is no good reason for these to be open any longer. Even with the purebred stigma, or the need to have a certain type of breed, there are ways around that are no longer going to support the puppy stores or mills. With all these facts, I am more for adopting my future dogs than I have been in the past. I knew it was cheaper, but there are so many other wonderful reasons that I was unaware of, up until recently.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Importance of Breeding and Adopting Many people believe that the only way to get a pet is to “buy” one without considering adopting, which is why I believe people should consider looking up better options and become more knowledgeable. There are so many reasons why someone shouldn’t buy a pet from a breeder, and so many benefits from adopting a pet from your local shelter/animal rescue. To start with, I believe that selling a dog/cat should become against the law. It is unfair to breed poor animals who probably do not want to be pregnant or become pregnant.... [tags: Dog, Pet, The Animals, Adoption]
1004 words (2.9 pages)
- The U.S today has the largest population of cats in the world with 76,430,000. 60 billion of these felines are living on the streets (Cat Statistics). Cats, with their ability to provide emotional support are a great addition to the life of anyone (Coren,). With their soft fur and personality, cats could keep anyone company. Felines are the easiest animals to take care of and are perfect for a family with kids. Because of their inexpensive doctor bills they fit in any household (Diffen).... [tags: inexpensive, emotional, family]
1141 words (3.3 pages)
- Some people wonder why they should adopt a dog or cat from the shelter when there are plenty of cute puppies and kittens that can be purchased. There are plenty of reasons to adopt a dog or cat from a shelter, but before heading out to the local shelter, make sure you 're familiar with the facilities policies. This is according to Vet Street, which is a website run by veterarians. http://www.vetstreet.com/our-pet-experts/adopting-a-dog-or-cat-from-a-shelter-advice-for-your-first-visit They recommend that you do your research before heading to the shelter.... [tags: Dog, Neutering, Cat, Puppy]
1769 words (5.1 pages)
- If presale demand for the new Adopt a Shelter Pet stamps is high, the United States Postal Service will order a second printing, according to information in the March 25 Postal Bulletin published by the Postal Service. The 10 44¢ stamps picturing dogs and cats will be issued April 30 at the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences, 5200 Lankershim Blvd., North Hollywood, Calif. The stamps will go on sale nationwide on the same day. The first-day ceremony will start at 2 p.m., and the doors will open at noon.... [tags: Social Awareness]
1335 words (3.8 pages)
- The Helping Hand Thousands of homeless animals are looking for forever homes in America. Volunteering is a great way to give to your community and socialize the animals at the shelters. Working with dogs and cats that have not had good starts in their lives helps them trust again. It helps animals get over the trauma they have had before they went to the shelter. Socializing makes the animal more adoptable and they are given a chance to get forever homes. Volunteer at your local humane society 's and help out the animals like I have worked with in shelters.... [tags: Dog, Neutering, Pet, The Animals]
1015 words (2.9 pages)
- Thousands of homeless animals are looking for forever homes in America. Volunteering is a great way to give to your community and socialize the animals at the shelters. Working with dogs and cats that have not had good starts in their lives helps them trust again. It helps animals get over the trauma they have had before they went to the shelter. Socializing makes the animal more adoptable and they are given a chance to get forever homes. Volunteer at your local humane society 's and help out the animals like I have worked with in shelters.... [tags: Dog, Neutering, Pet, The Animals]
1013 words (2.9 pages)
- Appiah, Kwame. “Is It O.K. to Get a Dog From a Breeder, Not a Shelter?” The New York Times Magazine (15 May 2016): 28. Literature Resource Center. EBSCO. Web. Accessed 12 Oct. 2016 This source features a report about the authors opinion on if it’s okay to get a dog from a breeder or a shelter. Appiah feels that breeders and shelters should benefit from the selling of dogs by following the laws and policies that are in place and that when you adopt a shelter dog it died or runs away it should be replaced with another, which would make the shelter emptier.... [tags: Dog, Pet, Dogs, United States]
765 words (2.2 pages)
- It’s just another night and you’re sitting at home. The news is talking about the same old thing another rehab celebrity and the T.Vv shows are old replays. You call out your dog’s name, “Kenzie” and here comes your lazy old Shitzu walking into the room with her favorite toy. This is your one friend for life that you had adopted in Spencer, Iowa about 4 years ago; she’ll always be there for you whether: bored, tired, mad, or depressed. We’ve all been there, those nights with nothing to do and no one to hang around with. Rather than being alone, a pet would always be there to keep you company.... [tags: Dog, Pet, English-language films, Cat]
710 words (2 pages)
- Introduction Buying a puppy from the pet store might be one of the most phenomenal moments in a life. Unfortunately, puppy mills sell their malnourished dogs to pet stores. Puppy mills are huge kennels where pure bred puppies are crowded together in unsanitary housing with no food. Dogs who did no wrong to this world do not deserve to live in these conditions. The amount of puppy mills are increasing and must be stopped by adopting dogs from shelters, not buying puppies from pet stores and putting stronger laws into action.... [tags: puppies, dogs, pet store, pound, animals, pets]
1408 words (4 pages)
- Reasons for Adopting the Euro There are many reasons why Britain may want to join the Euro but there are just as many reasons against this proposition. It is up to the government and the people to decide on whether or not to accept this. One of the reasons why Britain should join the Euro is that it will provide more competition between organisations. This will push up the quality of the products and services and will also increase the efficiency of the organisations. Competition always boosts the economy and since the Euro will unite the European countries further, a bigger market will be opened up to the different businesses.... [tags: Papers]
667 words (1.9 pages)
- Human Anatomy And The Animals
- Social Media And Its Effects On Society
- Chains, By Laurie Halse Anderson
- Relationship Between Self Disclosure, Intimacy, Tension, Conflict Rituals, Relational Maintenance, And Compromise
- The Most Common Most People At The Top Of Their Profession
- Why People Chose A College