Lights flashing, cameras clicking, and lavish lifestyle – all equal reality television shows? Wrong. Imagine your walk out to your mail box: pajamas, slippers, and a mug of coffee. You grab your newspaper and T.V. Guide to head inside to start your daily routine. This is a real-life situation that would fit within the boundaries of the definition of the word “reality”. No one would click record or devote time in their day to watch someone do something they could personally experience themselves. Yet, chances are the guide you just grabbed somehow contains lists upon lists of differing reality T.V. shows. How is this possible? Reality television stretches the title “reality” just a bit too far as they have been accused of providing scripts, staging and editing “real” life situations, dramatizing and influencing how cast members behave, and promoting unethical values for a monetary gain. Any group or organization, no matter the size or amount of money they wield would be able to take down this multi-billion dollar genre, yet if viewers and producers around the programs would take the shows for what they are, entertainment programs, then it would reduce the amount of deceitfulness surrounding it .
All you have to do is Google the definition of “Reality Television” to find what makes a television program fit into the vague genre of Reality T.V. Wikipedia defines the genre as being “…a genre of television programming that documents unscripted situations and actual occurrences, and often features a previously unknown cast…”(Wikipedia). Bing, Google, and Yahoo dictionaries all referenced the words to a similar definition. This means that anything that lies outside the boundaries of...
... middle of paper ...
...otest the very next day. Record numbers tune into the numerous channels that air Reality Television shows, so isn’t it hypocritical to bash them at the same time that their DVR is already pre-set to record them? Yes; even I, myself, am subject to doing the very same thing. Reality television may cause serious problems, but it just needs to be seen and viewed for what is actually is; fictional entertainment (TIMES). The differences between a fictional movie found in theaters and “The Simple Life with Paris Hilton” are actually slim to none. Maybe instead of being deemed evil and immoral Reality Television needs to be better categorized because after being accused of providing scripts, staging and editing “real” life situations, dramatizing and influencing how cast members behave, and promoting unethical values for a monetary gain it is hardly reality at all.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Reality Television Programs: “How Real is Reality?” Lights flashing, cameras clicking, and lavish lifestyle – all equal reality television shows. Wrong. Imagine your walk out to your mail box: pajamas, slippers, and a mug of coffee. You grab your newspaper and T.V. Guide to head inside to start your daily routine. This is a real-life situation that would fit within the boundaries of the definition of the word “reality”. No one would click record or devote time in their day to watch someone do something they could personally experience themselves.... [tags: entertainment and show business]
1409 words (4 pages)
Weblogs: Perceptions of the Authenticity of Reality Programs and Their Relationships to audience Involvemen
- Today people fall in love with many things about a person. These things can be viewed through many media, weblogs being one of them. No matter what the blog is dealing with, there are many factors that can determine its popularity. Bigfishgames.com is an example of an interesting blog, interesting in the sense that it is full of personality, content and also attractive qualities. The Weblog reeks of authenticity and realism. These are qualities that are not easily found online. Having an intimate audience is an achievement as it will provide identification among strangers.... [tags: online, media, platform]
1560 words (4.5 pages)
- From celebrity endorsed product advertisements to Reality Television programs on cosmetic surgery, the commercialized nature of ‘Idol culture’ has become crucial in reforming beauty ideals and perceptions of masculinity and femininity amongst mainstream society in East Asia. Due to the drastic popularity of South Korean Idol groups both nationally and throughout East Asia including China, Japan and Taiwan women and men have been increasingly more exposed to sexualized imagery of ‘desirable’ bodies (Epstein and Joo 2012).... [tags: Reality Television Programs, Cosmetic Surgery]
2121 words (6.1 pages)
- ... This deliberate manipulation begins to question the authenticity of reality TV. In almost every episode of MIC there is some sort of gathering where the majority of the cast get together and either resolve or worsen current issues. Observation and surveillance is an element of documentaries, reality television is dependant on observation. The constant visuals, allows us into the peoples live and eventually lead us to form emotional connections with them. Professor of media studies Mark Andrejevic, this is a natural outcome of the culture of CCTV we live in now.... [tags: entertainment, programs, characters]
1314 words (3.8 pages)
- What do you actually know about reality TV. Is it “real” or “fake”. The effect of Reality TV on children and young adults is a topic not often discussed in today’s society. These thoughts haven’t been expressed to its full content, showing both sides of the situation and for you to make your decision. Reality TV has affected everyone in a one way or another, but mainly affects children and young adults since their minds aren’t fully developed yet. People in today’s society are affected by the things we see and incorporate them into our day to day lives in some way.... [tags: tv programs, entertainment]
1057 words (3 pages)
- At one point in time, southern reality television programs focused on what is known as “southern hospitality,” but in the recent years have strayed away from this concept to show viewers the negative stereotypes of the South. On one hand, the South represents graciousness, harmony, and easy living. On the other hand, the South is full of violence, hatred, cruelty, and ignorance. Persistent and curious infatuation with reality television is dangerous because it continues to extend the negative stereotypes associated with the people of the South.... [tags: Television, Reality television, Television program]
928 words (2.7 pages)
- Reality television has been a popular means of entertainment for viewers, and an economic investment for television networks since MTV aired their hit reality show The Real World, back in 1992. Although unscripted television existed as early as the late 1940s, reality television really began to thrive in the 90s. Since then, numerous versions of reality television shows have emerged. Reality television includes a variety of programs, each belonging to a different branch of reality. Within those branches are: documentary style shows, which includes shows about special living environments (Jersey Shore), shows about celebrities (Keeping up with the Kardashians), and shows about professional ac... [tags: Reality television, Television, Television program]
1055 words (3 pages)
- The reality show phenomenon The first television shows aired in 1948 it was a TV series called Candid Camera by Allen Funt. Have you ever wondered what attracts millions of Americans each week to watch this cultural phenomenon know as “reality TV”. “Reality television episodes have increased to 57% of all television shows that can be found on your TV guides.” Big Brother was one of the first more successful and most viewed reality television show, “When it first started Big Brother would air five times a week and could be viewed on the web 24 hours a day” (Reiss.) So the question many viewers keep asking themselves is should we really be watching reality TV.... [tags: Television, Reality television, Television program]
842 words (2.4 pages)
- Reality shows of Indian Television Indian high emotional intelligence and emotional resonance of any strike is an instant hit in India. The reality show success in India can be attributed to a large extent this weakness. Another reason these programs from Saas Bahu Town soap is to provide relief to their immense popularity. thereality 's growing popularity, showing the Indian TV channels are added to the production of television programs a new dimension. These programs give the opportunity of living in the interior of the country to showcase their talent genius.... [tags: Reality television, Television program]
1347 words (3.8 pages)
- A lot of people watch reality TV nowadays. It is like they are being addicted to Reality TV. Our author Cynthia Frisby (2015) said in her article “Getting Real with Reality TV” that people are finding the Reality TV interesting. Cynthia Frisby is associate professor of advertising at the University of Missouri School of Journalism and co-editor of Journalism. The author has really wide variety of experience in writing. The author’s article shows that Reality TV is captivating attention of the people by showing support with statistics, shows the benefits of the reality television, and targets a specific audience.... [tags: Reality television, Television program]
1114 words (3.2 pages)