In the story, Cline’s dismal world is the result of an energy crisis, environmental impacts, and wars. The cause of Collins’ world is unknown, but the savage competitions, the Hunger Games, are the outcome of war as is the world of Divergent. Our culture has influenced these novels in that which they reflect the state our society is experiencing. We are constantly being reminded of the environmental impact we are causing with global warming resulting in climate change and the supply of nonrenewable resources shrinking every day. These books have morphed the fears of society into a possible prediction of our future. Another worry of our culture is that the world will be wrecked for our children and future generations, like exhibited in the novels. The age of the main characters place them on the edge of adulthood and having grown up in these dystopian worlds makes them an embodiment of the somber outlook we have for the future society.
In each of the books there...
... middle of paper ...
...d in a bombing and Abnegation is brutally attacked leaving it in and its people in ruins. This could be symbolic for losing the security of childhood and the peace of mind often found within the place one calls home. Adolescences are ordinarily acquainted with both of these concepts. Again relating to the youth in our culture and establishing a connection with the reader.
The Hunger Games, Divergent, and Ready Player One have become bestsellers and a cultural phenomenon by mirroring the anxieties and affairs of our society. Relating to the environmental state of the world and the obstacles many people face caused the novels to prosper. It could be said that it is all one big circle: our culture influences literature, literature embodies this culture then impacts and therefore changes society, and thus influencing future works with this new ever-changing culture.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The Divergent series, by Veronica Roth, was published between 2011- 2013. The story follows the 16 year old heroine Beatrice (Tris) Prior and her friends and family in their attempt to “fix” their broken society. Through their story, the themes of government corruption and not conforming to society become incredibly relevant. The novel starts out with Tris and her brother Caleb preparing for their aptitude tests. This test shows them (or at least is supposed to show them) which faction they belong in or where they fit in.... [tags: story analysis, fixing a broken society]
902 words (2.6 pages)
- Rarely in today 's society are there action based movies that have female protagonists. In the past four years, there has been two movies released with female lead actresses and they both have done extremely well in the box offices. Although they are both based off of best-selling novels, and share many characteristics, these movies contain multiple, distinct differences. In this essay, I will be comparing and contrasting The Hunger Games and Divergent. Both of these trilogies started off as small thoughts in the minds of two women who had no idea that they soon would create worlds that would be loved by millions.... [tags: The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay]
980 words (2.8 pages)
- Veronica Roth’s bestseller Divergent is the first book in her three part series about the world during a time when the government divides citizens up into five factions. Abnegation, Candor, Erudite, Amity, and Dauntless make up these factions and each one consists of different character traits that define it. Through the plot, characters, and themes, Roth tells a beautiful love story while keeping readers on the edge of their seat throughout the whole book. Divergent takes place in modern day Chicago, but the world has completely changed and the government controls everything, including where people work, live, and how they act.... [tags: Abnegation, Candor, Erudite]
515 words (1.5 pages)
- Divergent is set in a futuristic Chicago were everyone is separated into 5 sections of Chicago. Throughout the story the characters take trips to the Ferris Wheel of Navy Prier, the Hancock building, the Willis (formally Sears) Tower, and Millennium Park. PLOT Set in a futuristic dystopia Chicago there is a society that is divided into five factions: Abnegation; selflessness, Amity; peaceful, Candor; honest, Dauntless; brave, and Erudite; knowledgeable. Each represents a different virtue of living one’s life.... [tags: Traits, Futuristic, Dystopia]
791 words (2.3 pages)
- Divergent Book Report Beatrice Prior lives in a future version of the world. Contained in this world are five distinct factions which each value different characteristic. Each member thrives to be characterized by that trait or will be put at risk of being “factionless”. On choosing day, Beatrice chooses to ditch her Abnegation lifestyle for Dauntless, however, due to being a rare condition called “Divergent” should could have practically chosen any faction. While fighting to rank high enough in the various tasks Dauntless provides to see who is worthy of staying, Beatrice realizes one of the factions has gone rogue and is willing to do anything to gain power.... [tags: beatrice, futuristic lifestyle]
947 words (2.7 pages)
- ... As debriefed above, every element in society contains a worldview whether it is realized or not. This is no exception in the book Divergent. The society in Divergent split into five distinct factions known as Candor, Abnegation, Dauntless, Amity, and Erudite. From this information, one can infer the worldview depicted in this novel is that one choice defines who a person is forever. This worldview is seen all throughout the book, due to the author’s focus on choice. The characters are forced to choose which faction they wish to reside in, thus possibly leaving all that they previously had known and grown accustomed to.... [tags: Christian review]
886 words (2.5 pages)
- Every day, struggle charges into peoples’ lives, causing rage, ruin, and wreaking havoc. Struggle is in every world, whether it’s on Earth or in a book, such as Divergent. Divergent, written by Veronica Roth, takes place in a dystopian world where a civilization splits its population into five factions that represent their beliefs: Abnegation for selflessness, Amity for peace, Candor for honesty, Dauntless for bravery, and Erudite for intelligence. After the main character Beatrice ‘Tris’ Prior goes through Dauntless initiation, she learns that Erudite is planning an attack on the Abnegation people.... [tags: Literary Devices, Struggle Portrayal]
932 words (2.7 pages)
- ... Usually the first thing people do when something horrible has happened is panic, that’s why there needs to be that one person who can stand up and take control of the situation before chaos happens. The best thing a leader can do is stay calm and help get others through a situation. Furthermore, in chapter 22, when Tris is being attacked, Four rescues and conciliates her in a safer place later. “He hurt you because your strength made him feel weak. No other reason.”(Roth 198) Though Four may be a person of little words, those few words were enough to console Tris and give her courage.... [tags: leaderhip, story analysis]
597 words (1.7 pages)
- ... Page 257 “Demeanor changes-”Denotative ”- The way in which a person behaves; deportment. (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/demeanor) connotative meaning- evil, wanting to always win Page 259 “Simulation- Denotative- To have or take on the appearance, form, or sound of; imitate (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/simulating) connotative meaning- making someone be something they aren’t. Page 252 “ Initiates” Denotative meaning- To introduce to a new field, interest, skill, or activity.... [tags: literary analysis]
653 words (1.9 pages)
- ... Jeanine was part of the council that met with the Abnegation city leaders and was neighbor of Tris’s father before he transferred to Abnegation, this allowed for her to gain information that was classified and led to the creation of the manipulation simulation and attack. Act and Breath the faction As part of the city laws it was essential for the people to act accordingly as to the faction they belonged to. It was socially mandatory to act like their faction and not show the traits of the other factions, especially if they are transfers.... [tags: factions, personality traits, story analysis]
1497 words (4.3 pages)
- The M Square, By Dr. Martinez And Keith Mitchell
- The People With Self Entitlement
- My Reflection On The First Course Goal By Daniel Bethel
- Childhood Obesity : The Most Serious Health Affliction For American Youth
- Islam : A Monotheistic Faith Based On Revelations
- Malala 's Leadership Theories, Leadership Style And Traits