Reading has played an important role in my life, especially through the early stages of my intellectual development. One of the first books presented to me were the hardback picture word books. These books had names of everyday objects together with its picture allowing me to recognise the items around the house. Rhymes such as: Old MacDonald, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, Jack and Jill together with many others were also a part of this reading journey. My mum particularly liked reciting them to me, whilst I began to be engrossed in the lovely pictures of my nursery rhymes book. I also enjoyed the musical atmosphere they used to create, which as time went by allowed me to easily grasp the words, allowing me to recite the rhymes for myself. As Carl Sagan quoted ‘One of the greatest gifts adults can give to their offspring and to their society is to read to children’...
... middle of paper ...
...y goes on Stephy and Callum begin to grow closer together and fall in love however the racial segregation between both of the races stands as a major problem together with the birth of their child Rose. As the story goes on Rose grew up and soon began to find out about her heritage which leads her in to more danger. Malorie Blackman is quite a creative writer, as she began to twist racial history. In this series she made the black more superior whilst making the whites inferior.
In conclusion I begin to notice a drastic change in my reading pattern, as during my early years I began to read various fiction books however this pattern has changed and I now begin to engage in books which reflect the realities of life and the present world, in which we live in. I look forward into expanding this reading journey and enhancing my current knowledge through reading.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Significant studies have been instrumented to delve in mental development correlated in reading skills that construct children’s early reading achievement. These researches present plausible data of an important aspect of letter sound and phonological awareness. Whilst, the findings appears to point that synthetic phonics teach students better in word reading, spelling, and reading comprehension. In the case of synthetic phonics approach revealed a child develops the knowledge how to pronounce unknown printed words by sounding them out and blending the letters.... [tags: Phonics, Reading, Orthography, Reading]
1600 words (4.6 pages)
- Assessment: Assessment is an essential part of education. Teachers can use ‘information about student progress’ (MCEETYA 2008, p. 14) to ‘improve learning outcomes’ (Ferguson 2011, p. 391), and to make informed decisions about future planning and strategies (Godhino 2011, p. 200). This type of assessment is known as ‘assessment for learning’ (Godhino 2011, p. 201). Assessment can also be used to ‘make judgements about students’ achievement of objectives, goals and standards, [this is known as] assessment of learning’ (Godhino 2011, p.... [tags: Assessment, Educational psychology, Education]
740 words (2.1 pages)
- Gender roles has always played an essential part of an individual 's life, and it can affect what we think the meaning of family is. As a child, I was taught that men and women had different roles in the household. It is unacceptable for the opposite genders to participate in activities that were not meant for them. For example, a man should not cook and a woman should not work on the yard. I want to note that gender is not black and white. Gender and sex are very different but when discussing gender roles, I am focusing on men and women.... [tags: Gender role, Gender, Role, Woman]
2132 words (6.1 pages)
- Planned Parenthood is an Essential Part of Health Care Planned Parenthood is very beneficial to thousands of adults around the nation. However, there is a controversy over defunding this organization. If it is eventually defunded, there will be numerous people will suffer from the lack of facilities able to help adults with health care. Defunding Planned Parenthood is an interesting real life problem because it affects many people of all reproductive ages. Filipovic, Jill. "Defunding Planned Parenthood Is the Opposite of "Pro-Life"" Cosmopolitan.... [tags: Abortion, Pregnancy, Roe v. Wade, Abortion law]
1649 words (4.7 pages)
- Writing is such an essential part in any person’s life. If you’re anything like me, writing can be quite therapeutic. In elementary children find joy in writing their name and complete sentences. Once those students get older and reach a middle school age they are drilled to become “testing writers.” Texas students are completely overwhelmed with the writing structure and expectations of a test that by the time they reach high school students are completely burned out and so far withdrawn from a piece of paper and pencil.... [tags: Short story, Edgar Allan Poe, Writing, Fiction]
1210 words (3.5 pages)
- As the great Charles William Elliot once said, "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; They are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." Literature by the dictionary reference web is, "writings in which expression and form, in connection with ideas of permanent and universal interest.” Most people think Literature is stupid and is a waste of time, but really they 're wrong. Actually Literature is the best and ultimately the most important thing to help broaden your understanding, help learn and communicate better, and to help escape reality even if it 's just for a tiny bit.... [tags: Reading, Reading comprehension, Comprehension]
794 words (2.3 pages)
- Summary There are many articles on reading and strategies for teaching reading and reading skills to younger students, while at the same time there is a strong need for this information for adults and those who are in or entering college. In their academic article, Reading and Learning Strategies: Recommendations for the 21st Century, the authors have found that there are several models that will assist this group. The first would be to choose program models that emphasize cognitive development on the part of the learner, while emphasizing their strengths.... [tags: Learning, Educational psychology, Knowledge]
1090 words (3.1 pages)
- Spiritual need is an essential component in health and recovery. Throughout this life every person can expect to become sick at some point. There are many different types of diseases from various origins. Therefore, the health status of a person is individualized, because not everyone will be free of diseases. Despite their optimal state of health, the road to recovery is often challenging. Although there is the use of modern medicine and other therapies, they cannot replace the spiritual needs of the individual.... [tags: Religion, Spirituality, Meaning of life, Illness]
754 words (2.2 pages)
- “Is Writing an Essential Skill for Engineers” Summary The article “Is Writing an Essential Skill for Engineers” by James Koelsch discussed how having the ability to write and communicate is a very important quality for all engineers to possess. The author used multiply techniques in trying to persuade the reader as to why successful engineers must be able to write, as well as be able to communicate to others. Koelsch started out by using anecdotes, talking about his own personal experience with learning about writing and communication in his college years, which he used to relate to his audience because his audience seems to be engineering college students.... [tags: Writing, Communication, Engineer]
1783 words (5.1 pages)
- Essential aspects of self-directed, intrinsically motivated, active learner. Self directed. Take initiative – Initiative it means having a new plan, new ideas or new procedures in solving a problem or something difficult or simple. This is the main and the most usable aspect of self-directed concept. The self-directed student should always starts learning without wait external forces from outside. Do not wait for someone outside to encourage your learning. The initiative starts from ones personal step.... [tags: Knowledge, Educational psychology, Learning]
925 words (2.6 pages)