Professor Taylor Harrison
23 April 2016
Raising pets helps kids to be considerate
Have you ever had a pet? As we know, more and more families have pets in their homes nowadays regardless of which country. Data showed an estimated 82.5 million U.S. households own at least one pet in their home. The American Pet Products Association, which is also called APPA, claimed that pet ownership by household in the U.S. has risen from just 56% in 1988, when the first APPA National Pet Owners Survey was conducted, to 68% as of 2013-2014. And the number of pet ownerships is going up even more rapidly in recent years. Research shows full-year sales for famous pet store like PetSmart and PetMed Express have jumped 106% and 116%, respectively, over the past decade.
The huge amount of pet ownerships makes me wonder why lots of people have the habit of raising pet? Beyond just ownership, however, study showed that there is a genuine transformation over the years of pets transcending a boundary of being a companion to actually becoming a part of a household 's family. According to the article These Statistics Demonstrate the Staggering and Undeniable Power of Pets, pet owners consider raising pets as an investment in love for the long term. As a matter of fact, people are willing to treat their pets as a part of their family. Based on a Harris Interactive poll conducted in 2012 that surveyed more than 2,600 adults online, 91% of respondents affirmed that their pet was a part of their family. This was up three percentage points from the 88% registered in 2007. If kids watch parents treating pets as part of the family, they will be influenced and will have the habit of owning pets when they grow up.
Evidence suggests t...
... middle of paper ...
...’s development. “Loneliness is very dangerous to children,” Weil says. “Having an animal companion can make them feel a part of something.” The presence of an animal can significantly increase positive social behaviors among children with an autism spectrum disorder (O’Haire, 2013) No matter what the original intention parents have in their minds, kids always get to learn something useful from the relationship between them and pets. “Children often learn something more fundamental about themselves and the world: how to empathize with others, how to understand subtle feelings, and how to look at the world from a vastly different perspective.” written by Alex Lieber in the article A Living Education: Five Things Pets Teach Children. Lieber mentioned that raising pets teaches children about communication, empathy, nurturing skills, confidence, and resilience to change.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Pets can be very both physically and emotionally beneficial to their owners. Living with and caring for them can also be a great experience and very entertaining. Even browsing YouTube, thousands of pet owners record their little friend's amusing tricks and humorous incidents to share with the world. Although these videos or pictures can encourage your desire for a similar companion, many details to keeping an animal of that sort may not be evident. There is a huge variety of species available, from tarantulas to munchkin cats, with many ways to obtain them, but not everyone can handle a giant arachnid or endure changing kitty litter.... [tags: Pets]
919 words (2.6 pages)
- Parents often wonder what makes a good first pet. Hamsters are often the first choice while its close relative the guinea pig is often overlooked. While both creatures are loveable, the bigger guinea pig makes a better pet for children. At a pet store the guinea pig will cost roughly three times as much as a hamster. If cost is a large concern, pigs and hamsters alike can be adopted for little to no cost and sometimes come with free cages. Naturally, the guinea pig as the larger rodent will need a bigger cage; however, after putting all sorts of tubes on a hamster cage they will take up about the same amount of space and the hamster cage could end up costing a bit more than that of the pig’... [tags: Pets]
606 words (1.7 pages)
- Problem Statement Overpopulation of pets is growing in the US by the numbers each day. Current Situation According to the article “Pet Statistics” by the ASPCA estimates there are 70-80 million dogs and 74-96 million cats owned in the United States. It is impossible to determine the number of stray dogs and cats, but the ASPCA estimates there are 70 million cats alone that are strays in the US (“Pet Statistics”). The overpopulation of dogs and cats live either on the streets and die each day, they live in a shelter and try to get adopted, but even then they die.... [tags: Dog, Pet, Pets, Pet adoption]
1281 words (3.7 pages)
- ... They are just a nuisance and they deserve to die anyway. Just think about how much food we will have once we start killing these animals. We won’t even have to tell everyone that they are eating cats and dogs if they don’t want. You could add some nice seasoning and cook them just long enough till the meat is tender and they will never be able to tell the difference. So many people will love the way they food taste business will be rich due to all the people wanting this food. Then for all those people who have pets they won’t have to take care of them anymore.... [tags: household, pets, saving, enjoyment, die]
588 words (1.7 pages)
- Would you like to live a happy and productive life. Then get pets. I must admit it is hard to believe that domesticated animals can promote mental and physical health, but many studies have shown that they can. People who own pets have been known to lead longer and happier lives than those without them. As we get older, we become less active. The more inactive we become, the higher our risk of death. We therefore need something in our lives to keep us busy so we don’t die prematurely, and a pet is just the thing to do it.... [tags: Pets Animals]
444 words (1.3 pages)
- POINTERS ON RAISING RABBITS For Beginners: - Raisers can start with one male and two females - It is best to buy them when they are 2 months old right after they weaned. - Be sure to buy your breeding stock only from reliable sources. - Select your rabbits that are the offspring of prolific does who knew how to suckle or nurse their young. - Pick out aggressive, well develop bucks. - Bucks and does selected should be both vigorous, healthy and free from defects. - Raisers should provide each animals with its own cage, which should be placed in a quite area that is not directly exposed to sunlight.... [tags: Rabbit Breeding Raising Guide How]
1751 words (5 pages)
- Maturity: Being Considerate According to Webster's dictionary, maturity is due care or consideration. There are many different kinds of maturity depending on what a person places their emphasis on. One type of maturity, intellectual, is caring about your personal well being. The level of one's intellectual maturity shows their ability to handle certain tasks set before them. A person who is considerate of others shows signs of social maturity. The ability to interact with others is necessary in order to function as part of this society.... [tags: Psychology Essays]
1023 words (2.9 pages)
- Brown versus Board of Education and Raising the Confederate Flag 1954's Brown vs. Board of Education case court ruling marked the dawn of desegregation in America. A short time after the sentence, South Carolina replaced their state flag with the Confederate flag, raising it above their statehouse, the Georgia and Mississippi state flags were changed to incorporate the Confederate flag, and Confederate monuments were suddenly built. The brief time period between the two events led many to believe the gesture to be the state of South Carolina's reaction and response to desegregation in public areas.... [tags: Papers]
1524 words (4.4 pages)
- Would you like to live a happy and productive life. Then get pets. I must admit it is hard to believe that domesticated animals can promote mental and physical health, but many studies have shown that they can. On the other hand, you must find a pet that is compatible with you or with your life style. Maintaining good mental health is crucial for living a "normal" life. Many psychiatrists have found that patients with anger management problems can be calmer with a pet around the house.... [tags: essays research papers]
535 words (1.5 pages)
- Facts: Pets 911 knows that every community has pets in need. We offer a free network of animal rescue organizations and services across the country. Pets 911 is becoming an answer for not only the public, but also the pet animal welfare group community on how we in this country can all take part in saving those 5 million animals every year. Pet adoptions, animal shelters, help to find lost dogs and services to find lost cats - Pets 911 for all your pet adoption information - Thousands of homeless dogs, abandoned cats and other animals available for adoption.... [tags: essays research papers]
789 words (2.3 pages)