What do you see as the advantages and disadvantages in applying online Dispute Resolution? Please provide the details of your reasoning for your response.
Doing online business is a very convenient way to buy products with just a click of the mouse. However, when we click that mouse, do we know what organization we are purchasing from? When purchasing online, you cannot see the condition of the product. Such as the quality, size, and is it actually what you are purchasing. You have no idea who are placing your order with. Once you make a final purchase that is, releasing your credit card information, there is no turning back.
Some disadvantages include impersonal and potentially inaccessible to some individuals. Goodman (2003), wrote that “Electronic communication is no substitute for the ability of face-to-face conversations to foster important process values of mediation at. “There is almost universal agreement that mediation is most effective if the parties to the dispute are physically present before the mediator” (Goodman, 2003). Fully automated cyber-mediation can only be used to resolve specific types of disputes and, even then, can only handle disputes where the amount of the settlement is the only unresolved issue (Goodman, 2003).
Advantage of online dispute resolution includes cost savings on travel and accommodation as all resolution take place online. According to Goodman (2003), traditional mediation, parties may be able to save a lot of money in cyber-mediation, where hiring an attorney is often unnecessary. According to the Rule (2013) Video, ODR agreements are accessible on the internet by anyone anywhere without boundaries. “The advantage of cyber-mediation a...
... middle of paper ...
...occurring at a rapid pace (Katsh, n.d.). There was skepticism that online resources could be used effectively to assist those involved in a dispute, because face to face meeting was required. But computers were information processing machines and the Internet facilitated communication in place of the face to face meeting. “Software, by definition, manages the flow of information and, therefore, with appropriate software, interactions between disputants might be managed online in a manner that would lead to an agreement. ODR, therefore, would not only be needed but it would also be feasible” (Katsh, n.d.). “While ODR has its roots in North America, the process is taking off internationally. A big draw for ODR is its ability to solve disputes despite vast geographical distances, making it a prime candidate for the resolution of international disputes” (Kolar, n.d.).
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... The system helps to carefully review, build consumer trust in the marketplace; offer an expert, cost efficient, meaningful alternative to legal action and it provides a framework for the development of self-regulatory solutions to other emerging issues and public policy concerns (Council of Better Business Bureau, 2011, p. 5). Klein (2009) suggested that The Better Business Bureau was offering report cards to businesses, and a good grade that could differentiate a small firm from its competitors.... [tags: litigation, business, industry, solutions]
572 words (1.6 pages)
- For each of the following scenarios, state whether you believe litigation, ADR, or criminal prosecution is the appropriate response and explain your answer, citing information from the textbook as support for your positions. Adele is a secretary for her company. As part of her responsibilities, she can write checks for the purchase of office supplies. One week, she is short on cash and may not have enough money to buy groceries for herself and her daughter. She writes a check out to herself, intending only to do this once and reimburse the account.... [tags: Dispute resolution, Mediation]
1158 words (3.3 pages)
- It can be easy to understand what environmentalists and what Indigenous stakeholders potentially have to gain from mediation but what about the corporations. In, “Dispute Resolution in Environmental Conflicts: Panacea or Placebo?” Jennifer Gerard, explains, “Environmental issues have several distinct characteristics which require high financial and resource commitments. The disputes themselves are becoming increasingly complex, as more scientific knowledge is available, leaving more questions asked and unanswered.... [tags: Dispute resolution, Mediation, Human rights]
1014 words (2.9 pages)
- This essay will provide a detailed examination of what Alternative dispute resolution (ADR) is, particularly mediation, the various techniques of ADR, the advantages and disadvantages of ADR; and whether or not courts should have the authority to compel individuals into undertaking mediation or other forms of ADR. This essay argues against courts having the power to compel litigants into mediation but may be afforded powers to encourage parties to go through mediation at first instance. This essay will base its arguments on whether courts should compel civil litigants to follow the ADR route upon the perceived advantages of ADR and its success rate.... [tags: Alternative Dispute Resolution Essays]
2720 words (7.8 pages)
- Alternative Dispute Resolution: Mini-Trial Disputes are almost unavoidable between people when there are disagreements or misunderstandings. In the construction industry, contractual relationships could lead to dispute. To resolve disputes, construction disputes are most likely encouraged to use Alternative Dispute Resolutions such as arbitration, mediation, and mini-trials to resolve their disputes faster and keep the dispute confidential and at lower cost (Ray, 2000). The construction case presented in this paper first resorted to negotiation; however, it could not give the parties a resolution which led to a mini-trial.... [tags: Dispute resolution, Mediation]
732 words (2.1 pages)
- Alternate Dispute Resolution Alternate Dispute Resolution has many benefits serving as a legal substitute for resolving civil disputes. Most courts prefer the proceedings of an ADR as appose to Litigation. In some counties the option of ADR must be analyzed before attempting to initiate the proceedings of litigation. Most district courts along with appeal courts will oversee the negotiations of an ADR. In some circumstances ADRs do not settle well and in those instances the involvement of the courts will resolve the remaining disputes.... [tags: Alternate Dispute Resolution]
1409 words (4 pages)
- The purpose of this paper is to discuss what Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) is and how it came about, what different types of ADR there is to choose from and how ADR benefits both parties compared to litigation. ADR can quickly resolve almost any minor issue regarding most civil cases family, neighbors, employers, contractors, etc. ADR includes mediation (also known as conciliation), arbitration and settlement conferences. Some of the benefits of ADR include cost, speed, confidentiality, control, cooperative resolution and industry experts.... [tags: ADR]
2236 words (6.4 pages)
- ... CPR had an effect across the court system, proceedings dropped dramatically. Within two years of the reform, civil litigation overall was down by 37%. Various civil court cost issues have made courts less attractive as the CPR introduced a summary of costs to simplify the costs question. Cost problems include, conditional (no win, no fee) arrangements (introduced in 1995 as a new means of funding litigation) provide for a success fee. However this has spawned satellite litigation to recover winner’s lawyer’s fees.... [tags: determinations, procedures, industry]
2054 words (5.9 pages)
- Conflict resolution is the integral process in social science which brings the parties to a mutual agreement. It is a process of reaching a consensus and progress the relationship between the conflicting parties. Conflict resolution is an approach to overcome the difficulties or problems of conflict. Conflict resolution comprises different method to tackling the conflict between the disputing parties. Conflict always must be considered from the angel of issue that had directed its invention to settle it.... [tags: Mediation, Dispute resolution, Conflict resolution]
702 words (2 pages)
- In Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR), the informal dispute resolution process, each involved party mutually agrees to meet with a professional third party to constructively and efficiently resolve their dispute rather than go to court. Through ADR, the parties are encouraged to engage in negotiations that promptly lead to the resolution of their dispute. The most common forms of ADR are mediation and arbitration. Although ADR is usually conducted on a voluntary basis, sometimes the courts require it before the case is taken to court.... [tags: ADR Conflict Resolution]
763 words (2.2 pages)