It is important to note that many science fiction stories and films presume that two different species with no cultural context can communicate efficiently. Human-to-alien communication is portrayed in stories and films in the following way: either communication is done smoothly in English or a neutral language, or absolutely no communication takes place due to the lack of language and cultural context. Not to mention, extraterrestrial in...
... middle of paper ...
...ood by extraterrestrial intelligences. In order to formulate a message that will be understood by extraterrestrials, we must assume that science is not the universal language. Extraterrestrial intelligences live in a different cognitive, as well as semiotic worlds when it comes to thinking.
It is interesting how we cannot let go of our drive to communicate with extraterrestrial intelligences. It is worthy to note that we might be looking at it the wrong way as Peters states “Instead of being terrorized by the quest for communication with aliens, we should recognize its ordinariness. There is no other kind of communication” (Peters 257). This quote ties in to the the idea of our inability to come into fellowship with ‘otherness’. We are so caught up in thinking about these creatures and how they are so different that we often forget that humans too, are exotic.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Is there life out there in the great beyond. It is a question that many of us have asked, but there is no real answer, no tangible evidence to validate the existence of other intelligent beings. All we have are so-called experiences that earthly people have had with these beings, like me. I remember, as a child, I stayed awake late one night. I was lying in bed admiring the stars outside my window when I saw a bright light in the distance. It moved in impossible ways I could not explain, even to this day.... [tags: Scientology Essays]
3321 words (9.5 pages)
- The movie Contact, based on the novel by Carl Sagan, is a fascinating journey through the human mind that attempts to answer the questions that humans have been asking since the dawn of time, “Are we alone in the Universe?'; Ellie Arroway (portrayed by Jodie Foster), the main character of the movie refers to the historic event upon which the movie is based, contact with an alien civilization, as one of the most significant events in human history, and rightly so. This film explores the religious implications of such an event as well as the faith that one has to have afterwards.... [tags: essays research papers]
373 words (1.1 pages)
- In 1997, Carl Sagan’s science fiction novel Contact was finally adapted to film by director Robert Zemeckis. Although originally written as a film in 1980 by Sagan and his wife Ann Druyen, production proved to be troublesome leading Sagan to publish Contact as a novel in 1985. The film portrays humanity’s first contact with extraterrestrials, but unlike most alien encounter stories that concentrate on the direct conflict of humans meeting aliens, Contact focuses on humanity’s cultural struggles when it encounters uncertain extraterrestrial events.... [tags: Carl Sagan, Contact, movies, ]
2531 words (7.2 pages)
- There is a popular belief that aliens walked the Earth in ancient times, and these theories have created quite a stir in the scientific community. Ancient alien theorists, like Erich von Daniken and Zecharia Sitchin, believe that extraterrestrials came to earth thousands of years ago. Some hypothesize that ancient aliens are responsible for ancient technological wonders, and that they helped to shape human civilization. Furthermore, the belief that ancient gods were in fact aliens, misinterpreted as gods by the ancient people.... [tags: Ancient Aliens]
1237 words (3.5 pages)
- My life quest is to gain mindfulness. Mindfulness means to be aware of what is around you and having control of your actions, and thoughts at the same time. In other terms: paying attention in a particular way. Being open to many options and comparing it to your own opinions. Also living in the moment with focus of your surroundings and your doing. All of these phrases help describe what mindfulness is. This 3 syllable word can also mean perseverance, charity, and living life to the fullest.... [tags: My Life Quest]
818 words (2.3 pages)
- Many people view jellyfish as small monstrosities, due to their uncommon feature in this common world. Despite the perceptions people have of jellyfish, they are extremely important in marine life. Jellyfish are also food for many marine animals making life in the ocean a continuous cycle. Jellyfish play an important part globally and in order to make sense of jellyfish, it is important to know what jellyfish are, how they live, how to treat their stings, and the benefits of the species. With this knowledge, it is clear that jellyfish are not our enemy.... [tags: jellyfish, tentackles, marine life]
1418 words (4.1 pages)
- The Phenomenon of Aliens The phenomenon of aliens is a really diverse subject to ponder about. The physical evidence can really affirm that aliens are sucking up people out of are atmosphere. In the article “Where’s the Physical Evidence” The Hopkins story, claims to have more compelling evidence - even an x-ray of an alien nasal implants. But like with all alien phenomenon there is diversity in the proof. The MIT physicist confirmed that there is not one, single, independently confirmed piece of scientific evidence for an alien abduction.... [tags: social issues]
700 words (2 pages)
- Aliens ARE Out There. Just about 500 years ago people believed that the earth was still flat, 50 years ago people doubted the existence of an alien life, 5 min ago the people of earth believe that aliens existed. Many individuals around the world have reportedly been contacted by extra terrestrial beings. They allege that Earth is currently being visited by several different species of extra terrestrial. These individuals report that extra terrestrials are visiting the Earth because they are interested in observing the development of the human species.... [tags: Government Cover-ups Roswell Incident]
2266 words (6.5 pages)
- On November 3 1997 the American broadcast announced that the planet earth was being invaded. The planet earth was being invaded by aliens. They wanted to take over the planet to mind the gold so they can repair there dying home planet atmosphere. Immediately they started to destroy the planet earth. I remember exactly what I was doing when the invasion happened. I was driving home listening to the radio, two feet away almost to my house and there it was interrupted by the broadcast “announcement everybody please listen up...we are being invaded by aliens, please don’t panic!” It starts by aliens are in the sky destroying everything and anything they see.... [tags: short story]
617 words (1.8 pages)
- For over a thousand years people have reported seeing strange objects flying in the sky. Today the unknown flying objects -UFOs continue to visit us, on a regular basis. A large amount of recorded historical events of this issue have taken place to give the subject of UFOs recognition. Recently, many individuals have claimed to witness or be part of fantastic stories that attract some while are turned away. Videotapes, photographs and pieces of physical evidence do support some of these stories.... [tags: essays research papers]
1857 words (5.3 pages)