As the application and the availability of a number of qualitative software analysis tools increase, so does ambiguity that relates to which of the tools should be used amongst the many tend to rise. As evidenced, the role of the different software analysis tools in assisting researchers in the analysis of obtained data is presently getting important. As such, different tools have been developed to carry out analysis of different sets of qualitative data obtained form the field. Thus, the applicability of the available tool depends on its accessibility, the use of use the amount of data that it can handle and its affordability. It is from the emergence of the many data analysis tool that this paper will discuss some of the available tools by stating their advantages as well as their disadvantages.
Comparing and contrasting the commonly used tools
This paper will discuss three qualitative data analysis tools that include NVivo, Dedoose and ATLAS.ti. These three qualitative data analysis tools are used for the same purposes but their approach to reaching the results are different. Each of the tools has both its benefits and disadvantages.
NVivo is made to enable its users to gather and organize data that is considered to be unstructured for qualitative analysis. The tool allows for data to be imported from various different applications as well as different social media sites while at the same time allowing for auto coding thus leading to quick analysis of large chunks of data. During coding the tool involves a drag and drop feature while at the same time providing an option of hierarchical analysis. Those media files that result from NVivo transcription tend to be automatically synced to the files original media fil...
... middle of paper ...
...ime providing discounts for students and different teams. The tool is web-based, is compatible with a number of operating systems and comes with its own support services thus making it user friendly. It provides a very simple coding process thus making it simple for learners to apply it simply in their studies.
From the nature of study that I will be undertaking, I strongly believe that I will be in need of an appropriate software package for analyzing the obtained data. Some of the data that will be collected will be qualitative in nature and thus, making it useful for policy makers will call for data analysis and interpretation using a given software. As such, from the three software packages analyzed in the study, NVivo seems to be appropriate for the study since it seems simple to apply and its application will not present a big challenge to me.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Today the use of technology has become embedded into our daily lives. Most of western civilization has access to a piece of technology at any given point of time. In recent years, technology has started to play a significant role in the area of research. Quantitative research was quickly adapted and aided by technology due to the use of number variables, but the same was not true for qualitative research. In recent years, qualitative research was revolutionized by Qualitative Data Analysis (QDA) software.... [tags: QDA Software]
611 words (1.7 pages)
- There are many elements involved in conducting a proper research. The two general types of research designs are qualitative and quantitative. These types of designs are different in many ways. Quantitative is an objective research typically focused on numerical data. Qualitative research is subjective research focused on narrative data. This paper further elaborates on many elements that separate quantitative research from qualitative research. One element that differentiates the qualitative article from the quantitative article is the size of the group studied.... [tags: Qualitative research, Quantitative research]
745 words (2.1 pages)
- Qualitative studies involving observation and interviewing methods may present limitations, benefits, and challenges, as the primary goal is to gather authentic data and to allow data to emerge naturally, in an unforced manner (Iphofen, n.d; Wall, 2014). The research and researched relationship can be complex, as the researcher is a participant observer and an interviewer, therefore becoming one of the participants, opposed to just observing those researched (Wang, 2013). A researcher being a participant may alter observation opportunities as the researcher is positioned in roles that may influence how observations are conducted, thus producing fewer opportunities to observe other participan... [tags: Qualitative research, Research, Interview]
1880 words (5.4 pages)
- 1.1 Overview Software has become critical to advancement in almost all areas of human endeavor. The art of programming only is no longer sufficient to construct large programs. There are serious problems in the cost, timeliness, maintenance and quality of many software products. Software Engineering has the objective of solving these problems by producing good quality, maintainable software, on time, within budget. To achieve this objective, we have to focus in a disciplined manner on both the quality of the product and on the process used to develop the product.... [tags: Software engineering]
856 words (2.4 pages)
- 1. Introduction:- The development of good quality software is very important factor in software industry . Medical software of medical devices with embedded software and decision support system can have great affect on the supply of patient care . A good quality software with poor management practices will never give very good quality of services. Hospital industry and telecom industry are facing challenges in terms of managing software .... [tags: software industry, risk management]
1571 words (4.5 pages)
- According to the most basic definition, analytics are software programs that generate metrics. Metrics are measurements. And measurements can help you benchmark desired results. Now that may seem as clear as mud, but if you 'll hang in for just a bit, maybe we can strain some of the mud out together and make the picture a little clearer. Clarity starts with understanding a bit about what measurements are available for your web site and how those measurements are arrived at. Essentially, what most analytics applications measure is how many people come to your site, how they get there, and what they do while they 're there.... [tags: World Wide Web, Web page]
856 words (2.4 pages)
- In this chapter the researcher is presenting the empirical data gathered from the interviews which combines the qualitative and quantitative information. Moreover the analysis, opinions and recommendations will follow this chapter. Qualitative Information: Aptara: Aptara was founded in 1988 to provide the digital publishing services to book publishers and employs 4000 employees while having the headquarters in Washington D.C. Their digital publishing services include scanning & digitalising, swift data entry, content conversion, OCR applications, digital recording and imaging etc.... [tags: Research Analysis]
1394 words (4 pages)
- Intellectual is associated to our mind which we use our mind creatively and able find solutions to solve the problem through reason and thinking. Ability is an individual capacity, talent or skills that he or she enables to perform a job successfully when under take a certain responsibility. According to Gabriel (n.d.), intellectual ability means the skills required to perform mental tasks and apply to both academic and work settings. So that, intellectual ability play an important role in workplace.... [tags: Number Aptitude, Inductive Reasoning]
1087 words (3.1 pages)
- RESULTS SECTION Characteristics of the Selected Articles Overall, the synthesized articles in this research study presuppose impacting factors upon nurse practitioners role expansion. In short, the study does not inquire if impacting factors exist, but rather how those existing factors influence role expansion and, by extension, patient health outcomes. Six research articles exist that address how factors that impact nurse practitioner role expansion affect patient health outcomes. All six of these studies, published between 2010 and 2015, are depicted in Table 1.... [tags: Qualitative research, Quantitative research]
1646 words (4.7 pages)
Mixed Methods Article Critique : Problem Situations Experienced By Urban Middle School Students With High Incidence Disabilities That Impact
- Mixed Methods Article Critique: Problem Situations Experienced by Urban Middle School Students with High Incidence Disabilities that Impact Emotional and Behavioral Adjustment Summary While a number of studies concentrated on difficult conditions involving a sample of middle class, European Americans, Sullivan, Sutherland, Lotze, Helms, Wright, and Ulmer aspired to focus on a diverse sample in relation to ethnicity and socioeconomic status. Therefore, the researchers conducted a mixed-methods investigation, researching problematic circumstances experienced primarily by African American middle school students with high incidence disabilities, possibly influencing their emotional and behaviora... [tags: Qualitative research, Quantitative research]
1612 words (4.6 pages)