While our possessions are not the only thing that projects our identities it still does play a role. Our possessions are the first things that people observe before we even get the chance to wave or introduce ourselves an opinion is formed on us based on our possessions like our car, clothes, shoes,jewelry, watches, and handbags. When people look at what you have to them it indicates who we are, were or want to be. Think about when you dress for a job interview. If you dress professionally and impeccably in new, clean clothes, then it says “I want to work here, I am hardworking and I care about this job”. If you dress disheveled or in ill-fitting clothes then it says “I don 't care, I 'm lazy and I don 't want this job”. Another example that comes to mind is how our possessions can reflect to people our worth or social class. Think of the social hierarchy of high school or in some cases even college. The students with the expensive cars,clothes,handbags, backpacks, jewelry and shoes were perceived as wealthy and superficial. They were regarded as Upper class or Upper middle cla...
... middle of paper ...
...ut us; avoiding eye contact says “I don 't want to talk” while arms uncrossed says “it 's okay to approach me”. Tapping your foot quickly can mean annoyed or impatient while tapping your foot slowly can mean delighted and tranquil. Body language helps people communicate to others who they are or want to be, it tells people if your social or talkative or quiet and shy.
Our possessions can reflect to people what our identity is. Possessions can tell people who we are, were and want to be but it 's not just our possessions that do this. Jarrett in this article “The Psychology of Stuff and Things” argues that the possessions we select tell the world what our identity is and while he is right our speech and body language do that as well. Possessions, speech, and body language allow us to communicate to society, and the people within, who we want to be, are and were.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- School is useless. Why do we have to stay in crowded room with weird people, being taught weird stuff. Well students don 't really realized it but there 's a reason for learning these so called useless stuff. From elementary and through a student’s academic career, students would have to sit through hours and hours of lectures and session trying to get the years over with. All students has the ambitions to do well and get job and be prosperous. However most of the time that wouldn 't happen because students would be half hearted into the their work and they would not believe the fact that the subjects like math, reading, science and ect.... [tags: Learning, Psychology, Subject, Language]
2017 words (5.8 pages)
- My interest in Psychology began in 2012, when I had the opportunity to research on my own about the subject. After I embarked on an introductory course in Psychology to relieve the boredom of working in a call centre, I then was motivated to continue with my studies. After securing my Higher and HNC in Social Science – I continued with the HND. If there was one thing I gained from the Call Centre job it was the knowledge that I liked to help people. I believe through continuing my studies at a University level, I will be able to reach my goal of becoming a Psychologist and helping people on a larger scale.... [tags: Psychology, Motivation, Social sciences]
935 words (2.7 pages)
- There were many different things that I have taken way from this one credit class. There are so many possibilities out there for psychology majors that I did not really think about. This class helped me open my eyes to the different aspects psychology can offer and many other things. I had my first visit to C.O.R.E. because of this class. I also have a better understanding of the financial aspect of paying for college. This class covers a wide variety of topics throughout the ten weeks. I have learned a considerable amount of information that I would not have gotten from any other class of in the psychology department.... [tags: Psychology, Mind, Thought, Mental disorder]
1291 words (3.7 pages)
- APPLY IT 2 Chapter One It would be important to educate our campus and community about social psychology because everyone is different in society and being able to understand people better would help us understand why people act a certain way and do things differently. It also helps to learn how the mind and body works together. In Orillia or at Georgian College There are always different social groups you see where ever you go and a lot of times those social groups influence the way people act, for example people like to show off in front of... [tags: Sociology, Social psychology, Psychology]
2126 words (6.1 pages)
- Chee La Keng Thao Psychology For Life For this semester, I have learned/It most important to me, time management, set a goal, handle stress/anger and money management. Time management help you structure your time and your life around those things. No one can stop the time. Everyday, we all have to move on, the past is in past. So don’t waste your time, do what you can get to your goal/ things need to be done. When you have freetime then can do whatever you want it. But when you got things/jobs that need to be done then get it.... [tags: Management, Time, Term, Goal]
737 words (2.1 pages)
- The Path to Psychology I would like to have a career in Psychology because most things about it interest me. I am not sure exactly which field of it I would like to major in but I have an Idea. There is about 170,000 psychologist jobs in the united states, so It sounds like its a reasonable field to find a job I am happy with. I realized that I wanted to have a career in psychology when I first started my psychology class in high school. Everything we were doing just interested me, it made me want to pay attention to what we were doing and really try to learn the materials.... [tags: Academic degree, Bachelor's degree]
1021 words (2.9 pages)
- I have set very high goals and to accomplish them seems daunting at times. The process of having to finish your BS in Psychology then transfer to a different college to complete ones Masters can seem extremely dark at times almost like there is no end in sight. So once I complete my masters my goal is to get my counseling degree in this state. Then I would like to work a few years with Veterans hopefully at the VA while I do that and progress more on learning outside of the classroom I will be continuing my education to become a Psychiatrist.... [tags: Posttraumatic stress disorder]
909 words (2.6 pages)
- Over Spending on Unneeded Things The Greek philosopher, Socrates, once pondered, “How many things are there which I don’t want.” It is a well considered quote in today’s society which shows, people try to satisfy themselves by having all the things in their life. This raises a current debate on consumerism. Consumerism is defined as the acquisition of goods beyond your needs. As in the article, “Spent: America After Consumerism,” written by Amitai Etzoini, illustrates about consumerism has become a social disease in today’s society.... [tags: Want, Need, Society, WANT]
1201 words (3.4 pages)
- Psychology Males and females have many different opinions in term of choosing their mates and long-term partners. But I strongly agree with Buss on the idea that women give more importance to kindness and generosity in term of choosing their long-term partner. Because I noticed that a man who is kind and generous will spend more time on her and then show love and take good care of the family. But one thing that I do not really agree with Buss is the idea of resource, I do believe that women give importance to resources but to me it is not just for their children but also most for themselves.... [tags: science]
1004 words (2.9 pages)
- Introduction to Psychology Readings In Introduction to Psychology taught by Dr. Mary Kay Streit, we were leaning information form our book Introduction to Psychology Eighth Edition. The class study forms chapters 1 to 20 slipping a few in the middle. The class had a fast past and was full of useful information. At first I had a very hard time keeping up. The first two tests I barely passed. The teacher was always willing to help with what she could. Me myself had other problems going in to the class.... [tags: Papers]
1428 words (4.1 pages)