I couldn't open up a magazine, you couldn't read a newspaper, you couldn't turn on the TV without hearing about the obesity epidemic in America.
Mr. Sanders retires from fast food and is now obese. He decides to get a checkup by me, Dr. Cerulli. “Hello, Mr. Sanders, It seems your health screening results have come in,” Dr. Cerulli said.
“Sounds terrific,” Mr. Sanders said, with his over-sized checks clapping to his neck fat like an encore.
“While Mr. Sanders was sitting there motionless, with ketchup residue on his shirt, I read the report. Let us we start with your body fat percentage. Your BMI, body mass index, reads at thirty-three percent. That means a third of your body is fat. The extensive consumption from your appealing fast foods puts your body weight is 526 pounds. Your body style in definition is obese. I know it is not genetics. Two years ago when you came in for a checkup, you were in perfect shape, but now it seems you have started a bad eating trend causing you to become obese. Mr. Sanders, do you have an explanation for yourself?”
“Doc, The fast food is so convenient. Every time I lose in a game, I get mad and start eating a lot. I do not care to do many activities at all. My lives now consist of fast food and technology,” Sanders replies with heavy breathing throughout every other word.
This example is a situation of many Americans that go in for checkups. Similar checkups show an increase of unhealthy trends. These bad trends are consuming ridiculous amounts of fast food, inactive life styles, gluttony, and genetic predisposition. Americans are becoming obese because, they are living these trends every day.
Every day Americans grab-a-bite at a...
... middle of paper ...
...s by throat. The fact is hard to swallow but there is proof behind my point. If one were to speculate on the causes of obesity, the reason why people are becoming obese is inexpensive fast food restaurants, sedentary lifestyles, eating disorders, and genetics,” says Dr.Cerulli.
Mr. Sanders replies, “How could I prepare myself next time I come in for a checkup?”
Dr.Cerulli counters, “We must create a new trend to do with this old one.”
However, now that one is able to identify the causes of why so many Americans are becoming obese, a new approach to the trend could propose a solution to the rise of obesity. A new foundation to propose a solution for the rise in the average Americans obese life could be consuming more organic foods and less fast food, start new active lifestyle, containing ones eating disorders, and overcoming ones genetic disposition of obesity.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Donne’s Poem Death Be Not Proud In the poem "Death Be Not Proud," written by John Donne death is personified. The personification of death creates a feeling that death is less powerful than we think. Donne creates and image of death that is not mysterious, not in control, and a slave of low status. He does this by undermining the idea of death as bound to the rules of "fate, chance, kings, and desperate men." He insists that death is no more powerful than any mortal is. Suggesting that death is not mysterious is the word slave.... [tags: Death Be Not Proud Essays]
456 words (1.3 pages)
- The presidential election of 2008 was the first time in my thirty five years of life that I was proud to be an American. I was raised in a religion that strictly forbid participation in our earthy government, but rather encouraged dedication to our Creator. As I became an adult, and left this religious organization, my continued refusal to participate became a deeply personal choice and preference. As a bi-racial American, how was I to respect a government that for so many years not only allowed but encouraged the mistreatment of minority groups.... [tags: US History]
904 words (2.6 pages)
- The show I decided was on the Proud Family. The cast was a diverse group of people. This went from racial, gender socioeconomics and etc from just re-watching two episodes. I only watched the first two episodes but I did watch another one a previous month or so. Which was on Muslims on the Proud family show, so they even had religion represented. The only think I did not see represented was a cultural group, which is the Native Americans. The group I identify was with the most was almost every one of the characters in the show.... [tags: Native Americans in the United States]
1036 words (3 pages)
- The Suffering of the Proud Pride is a key to self-respect; however, when it goes to far, people forget that humility is a virtue too. In the play Antigone, pride plays a major role throughout, appearing as fatal flaws in both Antigone and Kreon, the main characters of Sophocles’s tragedy. For Antigone and Kreon, as soon as the stepped past the line of humility, they were doomed to fail. For example, Kreon became so proud of himself he refused to listen to others warnings and assumes the gods are on his side.... [tags: English Literature Essays]
610 words (1.7 pages)
- Death Be Not Proud The book "Death Be Not Proud," written by John Gunther, is the story of author John Gunther's son Johnny. Gunther writes this book in memory of his son. Gunther focuses on three main aspects that outline Johnny's life and the type of individual he was. The three main focuses Gunther depicts are: Johnny's mental and physical characteristics as those of an adolescent and an adult, his bravery and strength of will, and his distinctiveness of devotion to life. The fictional novel time frame takes place from the year 1945 to 1947.... [tags: John Gunther Book Review Summary]
1419 words (4.1 pages)
- The book Death Be Not Proud has many points of significance, all of which were realized after the tragic death of a son. The points of significance all reflect major life lessons that all people should live by. Those life lessons include never taking life for granted, a person should always strive to succeed, having a positive attitude leads others to be happy, and to stay by the people you love through rough times. These lessons helped one young adult, Johnny, live his short life the best he could.... [tags: Book Review]
1674 words (4.8 pages)
- 	How would you cope if you were going to die. In the memoir Death Be Not Proud by John Gunther, his son Named Johnny is faced with this situation. At an early age, Johnny was found with a brain tumor, and struggles to survive. Johnny later died from the brain tumor. Johnny was loved by many people; much of whom tried his/her best to help Johnny through this ordeal. Although Johnny was faced with death, Johnny faced death with courage throughout the book. Even though Johnny was faced with death, he faced death with courage.... [tags: essays research papers]
835 words (2.4 pages)
- Tarquin the Proud The story of the proud Roman king Tarquin serves as a warning of what dangers and vices are associated with royalty and pride. Even Tarquin's first act after Servius' death is despicable and dishonorable. Tarquin's pride has no bounds and so he is known forever in history as Tarquin the Proud. Livy's stories shape a Roman society that would prefer a republic instead of a regency or dictatorship. After Tarquin is instated as king he immediately gets a bodyguard and is justified in doing this.... [tags: Roman History]
297 words (0.8 pages)
- Contexualist Perception in Death Be Not Proud One of the most fascinating views of life is the contextualistic perception. Contextualists seek to understand the essential human passions of the world. As a contexualist interpreting a poem, it is portentous to observe the passion of the poem. A contextualist draws the sensations out of the poet's mind. It focuses on the emotional thoughts and vivid ideas created in the picture painted by the poet. There is always a picture, some sort of portrait of emotion the writer wants to express to the reader in order to build a connection.... [tags: Papers]
1641 words (4.7 pages)
- Proud to be an American I am proud to be an American because I was born here. Four generations back, my ancestors came here from Europe. We have the right to be any religion we choose. Voting is a right of all people. We also have the most liberties and rights of any nation on earth. First of all, our nation is the richest country. We have clothes like T-shirts, jeans, socks and all sorts of other stuff. Afghanistan has sheets that they wrap around themselves. We have all sorts of food. We can go and get food at restaurants and groceries stores.... [tags: essays research papers]
410 words (1.2 pages)