Traditionally the private institutions are the ones with school uniforms but US public school are increasing in numbers these past years. During the 2011-2012 school year, almost one in five US public schools required students to wear uniforms. These required uniform rules in public are found more commonly in high-poverty areas. Proponents say that school uniforms make schools safer for students, create a "level playing field" that decreases differences between students, and encourage children to focus on their studies rather than their clothes. Opponents say school uniforms disobey upon students ' right to express their individuality, have no positive effect on behavior and academic achievement (School Uniforms).
In England of 1222, the first recorded use of uniform dress in education is when the Archbishop of Canterbury told the students to wear a robe-like outfit called the "cappa clausa." The modern school uniform can be found all the way to the 16th Century England, when the "charity children" attending the Christ 's Hospital boarding school wore blue capes like the clergy wore, along with yellow leggings. As of September 2014, students at Christ 's Hospital were still wearing the same uniform, and now the school has the oldest school uniform still in use today. In later centuries, the upper class became more involved with school uniforms. At one of England 's most high-status schools, Eton, students were expected to wear black top hats and tails on and off campus until 1972, when the dress codes began to be more laidback. In the United States school uniforms were followed from England but limited to private and parochial schools. Although there was one exception in the 1800s, the governmen...
... middle of paper ...
...iforms) Parents wouldn’t want to be wasting money on uniforms that their child will not be comfortable in or want to be paying for uniforms for school days and then paying for regular weekend clothes.
In conclusion, student’s behaviors have worsen through the years there is greater police presence on school campuses, a system of metal detectors, greater use of random drug tests and searches, and agreement of school uniforms or dress code now. All of these rules or procedures are happening all around the US but have not been shown to be actually improving discipline or safety in our schools (Sugai). Times have changed so rules and procedures for schools need to change as well. Students don’t want to be wearing boring uniform; they want to be expressing their personality through clothing. As for parents, they want their children happy and expressing themselves as well.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Annotated Bibliography Lombardo, Crystal. "7 Critical Pros and Cons of School Uniforms | NLCATP.org." NLCATPorg. NLCTP, 18 Dec. 2014. Web. 8 Sept. 2015. . This article is one of the many articles published by NLCATP. The Chief Editor focused mainly on the pros and cons of wearing a school uniform from a parent’s standpoint and also the student. The article brings up valid points that we all seem to bypass, such as if students should have a say in whether or not they choose to wear a uniform.... [tags: Dress code, Uniform, Education, School uniform]
848 words (2.4 pages)
- School Uniforms: A More Positive or Negative Effect. Today, school uniforms and dress codes are controversial. School uniforms for high school students have numerous positive effects, but at the same time, they have a variety of unknown negative effects too. School uniforms positive effects are shown through attendance records, academics, and behavior; but its negative effects violates ones individuality and increases the amount of money spent on clothes. School uniforms have positive effects like rising attendance records, inclining grades, and decreased behavioral problems.... [tags: Pro Con Essays]
438 words (1.3 pages)
- The conflict between school uniform or no school uniform can be traced back many of years. Some people can see the pros and cons to both while others are completely one sided. In the first article Why You Should Vote NO to School Uniforms in Elementary Schools by Diana E Butler, she is clearly one sided, she believes school uniforms should never be allowed to be worn in school. While in the second article School Uniform Pros and Cons by Rashida Khilawala, this author is Switzerland. She finds the good and bad in both sides and allows herself to stay neutral.... [tags: Education, Dress code, Uniforms]
1137 words (3.2 pages)
- Have you ever thought to observe a situation, such as instituting school uniforms, from all viewpoints. Typically, when discussing a topic such as school uniforms, many are quick to deem them as unjust and avoidable. What these individuals do not know is that, in fact, school uniforms would enhance how the learning environment functions. School uniforms are a necessary component needed in schools, for they show school unity, develop better student behavior, and improve how students perform academically.... [tags: Dress code, Education, School uniform, High school]
806 words (2.3 pages)
- It has been proven that when students wear uniforms to school their educational skills improve. This paper will explain the pros and cons of wearing uniforms to school. Should students wear uniform. Yes, students should were uniforms. Why, because if they don’t were uniform it would affect them on the school behavior, and they would not learn much during school hours. Many students believe that school uniforms should not be introducing, because of the limitation of their freedom time. Introducing a uniform to the school would decrease the diversity between each student, and it will be the solution for many problems.... [tags: education, students]
914 words (2.6 pages)
- Pros and Cons of Adopting School Dress Codes Today, there are numerous controversies about wearing school uniforms. Some people believe that wearing uniforms can help to eliminate unproductive behaviors, while others believe that wearing uniforms help individuals in developing their identity through liberal expression. In the article “Disadvantages & Advantages of High Schools Adopting Dress Codes,” Maria Ocadiz, effectively presents the pros and cons of wearing school uniforms. Ocadiz organizes her essay in paragraphs with sub topics.... [tags: Dress code, School uniform, Education, Uniform]
1191 words (3.4 pages)
- Is her midriff showing. Are her shorts to short. Is her bra visible. Do these shoes look right with her outfit. These are all conflicts that could be avoided with school uniforms. School uniforms are special clothes worn by students from a particular school. They typically include bottoms in neutral colors like khaki, black, or even dark green, and tops that are either neutral or in the school colors. Sometimes the uniforms will include a special striped tie in the school colors for both girls and boys.... [tags: Education, Dress code, Clothing, School uniform]
1160 words (3.3 pages)
- School Uniforms: School uniforms are a way for principals to know who belongs on campus and who does not. A while back, researchers studied that the reason certain school require students to wear school uniforms is because they feel that it will help stop other students from bulling one another, just because they don’t have on high priced shoes or clothing it shouldn 't stop them from doing what they do best. "The good thing is people judge you on your inner characteristics rather than what you wear," said Nick Duran, an 8th grader and the student-body president at Rogers Middle School (Portner)." Safety is they key, when students enter the school ground, they should feel safe and not... [tags: Dress code, School uniform, Education, Uniform]
1570 words (4.5 pages)
- “Advantages and Disadvantages of School Uniforms.” OccupyTheory. July 2014. Web. 19 Apr. 2016. This article talks about the advantages and disadvantages of school uniforms. The article says that the advantages for school uniforms are a form of unity and feeling proud of belonging to a certain school. The article also states that school uniform saves time in the morning because the scholar might not know what to put on for the. The disadvantage is that students are unable to show personality through clothing.... [tags: High school, Education, Dress code]
1073 words (3.1 pages)
- Do you know school uniforms can change our society. School uniforms were suggested in 1970’s. There are a lot of pro’s and con’s over uniforms in schools. Therefore, School Uniforms became debatable. Students are future of the country they can change the country. So, It is very important to take a right decision over School Uniforms. Uniforms should be mandatory in every school to bring discipline in students. School students do not understand why uniforms are Important. So, we should spread words and make people realize that school uniforms are worthy.... [tags: Education, Dress code, High school, Clothing]
733 words (2.1 pages)