The major theme of my research includes looking at the positives and negatives of different fields in social work. Another part of my research will include, how I will earn my graduate degree once I graduate from ODU, along with the jobs outlook and descriptions for each field. This is important for my paper; because, I will choose which field I plan on going in and why. It also will allow me to compare and contrast the different fields. My literature review will start with my graduate school plans, followed by my research on each field I want to focus as a social worker (in order of my most desirable field to my least desirable).
I am currently a sophomore at Old Dominion University, majoring in human services. I plan to further my education in graduate school at Virginia Commonwealth University School of Social Work. VCU’s school of social work is ranked 11th in the nation and has been around since 1917 (Relation). “The purpose of this program is to prepare graduate-level social workers with the knowledge, values and skills essential to advanced social work practice in a multicultural society” (Relation). One of the most important requirements to get accepted into the program is work experience and volunteer hours after undergraduate school. I plan on going to s...
... middle of paper ...
... of people everyday.
Dybicz, P. (2012). The ethics of care: Recapturing social work's first voice. doi: http://dx.doi.org.proxy.lib.odu.edu/10.1093/sw/sws007
Children and families . (2014). Retrieved from http://www.naswdc.org/pressroom/features/issue/children.asp?print=1&
Mental health and substance abuse social workers. (2011). Retrieved from http://www.socialworklicensure.org/types-of-social-workers/mental-health-substance-abuse.html
Notabartolo, A. (2010, 04). Fact sheet 2010. Retrieved from http://www.dpeaflcio.org/programs/factsheets/fs_2010_social_workers.htm
Relations, V. (n.d.). Vcu School of social work. Retrieved from http://www.socialwork.vcu.edu/
What are gerontological social workers?. (2011). Retrieved from http://www.socialworklicensure.org/types-of-social-workers/gerontological-social-workers.html
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- It’s your senior year of high school. It is time for you to decide what you want to do after you graduate. You have a few possible things that you could do. You could start applying for colleges, get accepted to one, and then go to college right out of high school; or you could do the same thing, but take a year off. This brings up the argument of whether or not a student should take off a gap year before they begin college. There are both, pros and cons to taking a gap year prior to starting college.... [tags: Pros and Cons of Gap Year]
1096 words (3.1 pages)
- The Pros of Immigration Our country is faced with a terrible dilemma. This problem is immigration. There are two types of immigration, illegal, and legal. We are talking about immigration as a whole legal and illegal. Our grandparents, our relatives, our friends are all immigrants. They came from all over the world for many reasons, such as, religious persecution and racial tension, but the largest reason for coming to America was for freedom. The freedom to live where we want, to own property, to take part in the government and most importantly, the freedom to be treated like a human being.... [tags: Pros of Immigration, Immigrants]
711 words (2 pages)
- Do you think social networking is a fad. Well, in fact, it already changed the way we communicate. With just one click we can let the entire world know. In this day and age, we have access to the world with the simple touch of a button. Social media has been an integral part in our daily lives. Last Thursday, I got home at 3:30 P.M, sat down at the kitchen table and within 20 seconds, pulled out my phone and opened up Facebook followed by Instagram then Twitter and lastly Vine. Before I knew it, it was already 7:00 P.M and I had completely forgotten to read Fight in the Fields, study for my quiz the next day, and do my homework from all of my other classes.... [tags: cyberbullying, social networking, communication]
990 words (2.8 pages)
- Social Networking sites are the quickly becoming the most popular kind of web sites on the web. The most popular of these websites, Myspace, Facebook and now Twitter, are on their way to the top of the charts for most visited sites on the Internet. Details from by Alexa.com, a company which publishes reports on web traffic, collected around May 2008 by Carter, author for ¬¬Phi Delta Kappan, reveals that Myspace.com is the sixth most popular website. (cited in Carter) While the throne of the most popular social networking is now Facebook (cited in “Facebook dethrones Myspace”), social networking sites are still some of the most visited sites on the World Wide Web Students will have to weigh t... [tags: Internet, Twitter, Facebook, social media]
1795 words (5.1 pages)
- Social media has transformed the world. No longer is communication the same. This is evident in the social media by businesses and individuals alike. Businesses build communities, and raise awareness, through the use of social media sites such as Twitter and Facebook. Education system has also adopted social media tools in the classroom and is now playing a significant role in many schools and universities. However, proper planning has to take place to ensure that these tools are managed effectively in the classroom.... [tags: generation z, facebook]
961 words (2.7 pages)
- “One day recently, Cynthia Newton’s 12-year-old daughter asked her for help with homework, but Newton didn’t want to help her, because she was too busy on Facebook. So her daughter went upstairs to her room and sent an e-mail asking her for help, but Newton didn’t see the e-mail, because, well, she was too busy on Facebook.” This unusual action, by a is from one of typical moms in this nation is excerpted from an article titled, “Five Clues…Facebook” from CNN. As the social networks system have s become rooted into our society, people have become way different from the past.... [tags: Facebook Essays]
1954 words (5.6 pages)
- Abraham Lincoln once said, “Whatever you are, be a good one.” The world is filled with many interesting careers, but two careers in particular grab my attention and fit my personality best that I can be good at. A police patrol officer and Christian ministry are the two careers that have always kept my attention growing up. The first, being a police patrol officer is a career I have always wanted to get involved in since I was a kid. I would like to have a job with some excitement and adrenaline, which a police officer experiences almost everyday.... [tags: police patrol,christian ministry, college]
1655 words (4.7 pages)
- Facebook Dangers Because students often post detailed and specific information on Facebook (including phone numbers, addresses, class schedules, social plans, etc.) you can be more easily stalked by strangers (or even acquaintances). Identity theft can also be a significant risk of social networking. Personal details like your full name, names of your family members, your phone number, birthday, address, and place of employment can all be used by identity thieves. "Passport-style" profile photos also make it easier for identity thieves to replicate your online presence.... [tags: Social Networking, Social Media]
990 words (2.8 pages)
- Health and Human Services Social Work is growing now a day due because of poverty, which is why there is a big demand for social workers. It is a very dedicated job and stressful at the same time. Social work is for people who want to help people, also because of all the clients you ended up having some of the client’s do not appreciate what you are doing for them and get violent start threaten you, or getting physical. Some social workers have so much work that they even have to work weekends and night hour’s just to catch up with the work load.... [tags: Social Work]
1127 words (3.2 pages)
- The Positive and Negative Social Aspects of the Internet The internet is a magnificent tool that we use in many aspects of our society. It has been very helpful in regards to business, education, socialization, recreation and so much more. The internet has also been very harmful in regards to all those things as well, even communication. We are discussing the social aspects of the internet and their positive and negative effects. There has been a large debate on whether internet use is positively influencing social relationships and community life or whether it is negatively influencing them.... [tags: Pro Con Essays]
1229 words (3.5 pages)