The specific mosquito species that transmits the Zika virus is the Aedes species. However, the Aedes aegypti is the known to be the predominant carrier for the Zika virus (Suresh). How is the Zika virus transmitted? A mosquito, specifically a female, bites a contaminated individual and picks up the virus. Once the virus is picked up, it travels from the mosquito’s abdomen into its salivary glands (McNeil). An individual would not receive the Zika virus if the mosquito did not administer its saliva into the individual. However, a mosquito always administers its saliva to prevent the prey’s blood from clogging (McNeil). A mosquito’s saliva contains protein factors that inhibit blood from clotting. Therefore, the next individual that the mosquito bites receives the Zika virus. This process is on-going because the individual that becomes infected ...
... middle of paper ...
...s (“About Zika Virus”). To prevent catching the Zika virus sexually, individuals should refrain from sexual activity and use contraceptives. Pregnant women who have visited areas contaminated with the Zika virus should be aware of any symptoms within 14 days of traveling (“About Zika Virus”). If any of the symptoms are recognized, the women should inform her obstetrician immediately.
Although the Zika virus contains no absolute treatment or solution, numerous experts are working on ways to prevent the Zika virus from dispersing any further. Several laboratories are strengthening capacity to be able to detect the Zika virus and experts are prioritizing their time to do research on the Zika virus. However, these efforts to have just began. Brazil has been the main target for Zika; therefore, surrounding countries should remain cautious and raise awareness (Scipioni).
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Up until today, not many people were informed what the Zika virus was. This was the purpose for McNeil, Louis, and Fleur’s article titled Short Answers to Hard Questions About Zika Virus. The virus was first discovered “in the Zika forest in Uganda in 1947” (McNeil). This virus became really popular in less developed countries in Africa and Asia. Even though it was thought to be like the West Nile virus and the Dengue virus, this virus did not spread worldwide up until last spring. the virus is spreading rapidly across all the nations in the western hemisphere because not many people are immune to this virus.... [tags: Mosquito, Aedes, West Nile virus, Malaria]
708 words (2 pages)
- Zika Unleashed What exactly in the Zika virus, where did it come from and why do we have to be worried. Zika was first discovered in 1947 first identified in Rhesus monkeys. The Zika virus was named after a forest in Uganda. It is a mosquito born disease that is spread by the bite of an Aedes Aegypti infected mosquito. Zika is difficult to track since it is the only mosquito born virus that is sexually transmittable, and only 20% of the people bitten display any symptoms. The first human case was detected in 1952 by a health investigator in Africa.... [tags: Dengue fever, Mosquito, Aedes, Aedes aegypti]
2288 words (6.5 pages)
- With the Olympics less than 13 days away many athletes are making their way to Rio de Janeiro. But many athletes are waiting until open ceremonies are closer because they don’t want to be in Rio longer than they have to. Many athletes are waiting because they are afraid they will get the Zika virus. Some athletes are so scared of the Zika virus, they withdrew from the games. Making the total count of athletes the lowest since the 1936 summer Olympics in Berlin. According to the Ministerity of Health, “the Zika virus is a mild cebrile viral illness transmitted by mosquitoes” (“Zika Virus”).... [tags: Mosquito, Insect repellent, Mosquito net, Malaria]
988 words (2.8 pages)
- When it comes to the topic of sports I am not very interested. I didn’t grow up in a family who watched professional sports on TV or had a favorite sports team we followed regular. Now I have been to a few college sporting evens and minor league baseball games. I had fun there. I think the whole atmosphere and the energy of the event made them fun. When I had to pick a sports topic to read about it was had to find one that would hold my attention. A lot of the articles were on subject matter I knew nothing to little about.... [tags: Olympic Games, Summer Olympic Games]
989 words (2.8 pages)
- The Zika Virus Disease, most commonly spread through the bite of an infected Aedes mosquito can be transmitted in multiple ways, which include through sexual partner, blood transfusions, and from mother to child. The mosquitoes that spread Zika, are also known to spread chikungunya and dengue, and bite throughout the day as well as night. The Zika virus can also be spread through person to person through sexual contact. Zika presents itself longer in semen then it does blood, allowing a man to pass on the disease to any of his sex partners, often times without even knowing.... [tags: Pregnancy, Abortion, Birth control]
1776 words (5.1 pages)
- In the past few months the Zika Virus has become world wide news. A once little known virus is now a household name after a number of outbreaks in countries in the Caribbean, South America, and Central America. With more than 4,100 babies having been reported with symptoms of Zika since last October there is a serious need for concern. The outbreak has become so severe that the Center for Disease Control has issued a travel warning for women interested in visiting these countries. For women living in these countries it is a constant threat.... [tags: Olympic Games, Summer Olympic Games, Fetus]
1294 words (3.7 pages)
- Puerto Rico is suffering from an outbreak of the Zika virus -- a virus spread via mosquito bite and causing joint pain, fever and rashes -- that has infected six hundred and eighty-three Puerto Ricans and killed one, and they are are on the brink of cutting their public health budget. Puerto Rico is making these cuts because they are $72 billion in debt and $30 billion behind in pension payments. The situation is unprecedented, and until 2015, Puerto Rico had never defaulted on any of its debts, but now Puerto Rican Secretary of Treasury Zaragoza says the island will run out of money June 30, 2016.... [tags: United States, Puerto Rico]
1733 words (5 pages)
- Introduction: West Nile virus and Zika virus belong to Arbovirus group which are usually transmitted by mosquito, ticks or some other vectors. The growing concern regarding West Nile virus is not unexpected as people has seen the worst consequences of Zika virus. But as an Epidemiologist, any conclusion should be made in a systemic way base on previous data and background knowledge about the investigation. Being the same group member does not always make them equal deleterious. As we all know that not all the hepatitis virus causes hepatocellular carcinoma, few of them are very mild that they persist few days without leaving any long-term effect.... [tags: Epidemiology, Infectious disease, Infection]
955 words (2.7 pages)
- Zika Virus The Zika virus (ZIKV) is an emerging mosquito-borne flavivirus (Aedes), similar to other arboviruses, first identified in Uganda in 1947. “Few human cases were reported until 2007, when a Zika outbreak occurred in Yap, Micronesia, even though ZIKV activity had been reported in Africa and in Asia through virological surveillance and entomological studies” (Ioos et al., 302). “During large outbreaks in French Polynesia and Brazil in 2013 and 2015 respectively, national health authorities reported potential neurological and auto-immune complications of Zika virus disease” (World Health Organization, 2016).... [tags: Epidemiology, Infectious disease, Infection]
1548 words (4.4 pages)
- Each year, there is an epidemic that sends panic throughout the country; the Zika Virus has been passed around the world for over roughly 50 years and has recently found its way to sneak into the United States. In the event that a pregnant woman becomes infected, the virus becomes very serious. Zika Virus has been linked to several birth defects including, microcephaly which causes a newborns head to be abnormally smaller than other newborns and brain defects. The article I have chosen discusses the Zika virus and different ways to control it and accordingly provided good evidence by using charts of how microcephaly and Zika Virus correlate.... [tags: Childbirth, Pregnancy, Infant]
715 words (2 pages)
- The Constitution And The Declaration Of Independence
- Apple Should Not Be Above The Law
- Chemical Reactions And The Human Body
- The Garbage King By Elizabeth Laird
- The Importance Of The Music Department Puts Together Free Concerts On Wednesdays At 12
- Do Citizens Of Affluent Countries Have An Obligation Help Those Who Are Poorer Countries?