Project management planning, scheduling, controlling and implementation can be a difficult and challenging task. This is because a project involves many organizations and stakeholders whose interests and needs should be adequately addressed. Failure to address such issues among various stakeholders and interested parties can create conflicts. However, the method and strategy of resolving such conflicts will determine the sub sequent success of the project. Therefore, project managers need to learn appropriate and effective conflict resolution methods and techniques to employ during planning and implementation of a project (Borisoff & Victor, 1989).
The purpose of this paper is to identify a particular problem causing conflicts in a project and to how to resolve it’. This will be achieved according to the guideline below;
a. Problem statement
b. Effect/impact of the problem on the project
c. Conflict mitigations
The following are the sources of conflicts in project management;
o Disagreements over communication methods
o Failure or cancellation of a project
o Management style
o Changes in project schedules
o Disputes over methods of managing a project
o Different interests of stakeholders
o Disagreements with vendors
Breakdown in communication is the o, most common and most obvious source of conflict in majority of projects worldwide. This has been further facilitated by lack of trust, respect, effective listening skill which has contributed to serious communication problems. These communication problems eventually result in failure to perform as instructed, misinterpretation of designs or drawings, or clearly misunderstood change orders delays in delivery of critical components (Vilchis, Tovar & Flores, 2012).
... middle of paper ...
...ng stakeholders and other interested groups. For example, the conflict arising from the implementation of bus rapid transport system was resolved mainly through consensus (Tariq & Khan, 2012). To facilitate consensus, various models are used. They include;
• Butler model
• Tree bressen model
• Canadian roundtable model
• Susskind model
Agreements should be reached through a set structures and techniques using a specific decision making process. Consensus is never a single process but rather circumstances, needs and interests of each situation should be carefully examined and considered. (Kerzner, 2009)
Project managers and their teams must also develop effective communication skills to resolve project conflicts. They must learn to create a work environment that encourages open communication in order to deal with conflict and gain team members’ acceptance.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Project Planning and Scheduling - The Process Businesses that are project-intensive have to perfect their project planning and scheduling skills in order to ensure maximum utilization of business resources for maximum profitability at the minimum cost. Lack of proper planning and management has meant losses for small businesses, and big companies alike. Any project calls for planning and scheduling of resources since they are used to achieve the project objectives and goals. Each project and project activity requires specific set of assets at specific times so that the project can be completed as scheduled.... [tags: Project management, Resource allocation, Resource]
727 words (2.1 pages)
- The project was concerned with making sure it will oversee the planning and implementation of a meeting for our company is holding to present an annual continuing learning conference for our co-operate management team. The project targeted to make all members to know how to use planning skills in the future and how they can deal with problems which may arise from the company, concerning planning. The project was created also to evaluate different members in the company to see how they have been carrying out their duties in the company.... [tags: Project management, Management]
746 words (2.1 pages)
- All organizations and businesses exist to meet some specified goals with some predetermined strategies and resources. A basic measure of effectiveness in an organization is evaluating how much an organization is able to achieve, and comparing it with the expected achievements to make sure that goals tarry with results. If the real performance deviates from the set expectations, measures to cater for that are taken. Delivering goals or results within the time periods and financial costs is a key component of organization and business success.... [tags: Business Management ]
1624 words (4.6 pages)
- Team Planning & Delivering on Objectives A successful outcome requires diligent planning and preparation. Comprehensive planning allows teams to identify goals, determine the steps, allocate resources, and delegate certain components to move the project along faster and more effectively (Kerzner, 2013). In other words, it sets up a project for success from the very beginning. A team can effectively plan and execute a project routinely by following these critical pieces of advice. Documentation Documenting the planning process is essential as its purposes are: To notify the people who affect and will be affected about the overall approach to the plan’s development.... [tags: Project management, Management, Risk]
1005 words (2.9 pages)
- In today’s business environment most companies are looking to cut costs, increase productivity and streamline processes. When working on a BoB, Best of Breed, strategy companies can select the best system for achieving a specific business process to achieve the desired result. This leads to lack of connectivity among the company trying to piece together disparate softwares. ERP, Enterprise Resource Planning, can make streamlining data between departments, regions and employees very simple; it creates a unified system for large companies to work on.... [tags: Enterprise resource planning]
1259 words (3.6 pages)
- The type of project manager I would perceive to be in future would be the combination of both leadership and management skills, with a knack of problem solving. As we know that Project managers are there to plan and manage the work-not to do it, thus I would like to see myself with good managerial and planning skills. I would like to be organised and multi-tasker as managing multiple projects and tracking issues on daily basis are signs of a good project manager, the success and failure of a project depends on the difference between a project manager who is organized and who is not.... [tags: Management, Project management, Planning]
1396 words (4 pages)
- ITT Trip Scheduling The Information, Tours and Tickets (ITT) office could use a system to assist them in creating trip schedules. In this paper I will outline a plan for a Decision Support System (DSS) that will assist ITT in creating schedules for their tours. This system will also track customer surveys and hold data about all of ITTs trips. They already have some computer systems, a spread sheet program and a data base management system (DBMS) which can all be used to build a small DSS. Using the DBMS and the spread sheet software I have designed a system to assist them in making decisions about scheduling trips.... [tags: Business Management Strategy Analysis]
1371 words (3.9 pages)
- 1.1. A framework for analyzing operations management within businesses Operations management is a multi-disciplinary field that focuses on managing all the aspects of the business’s operations. The framework for operational management is a way to present thinking about the relationship between the main function which are including in service operation: • External environment: A management’s task is to understand the need of the customer and what they want and sizing up the opportunity and threats by competitors.... [tags: Management, Strategic planning, Strategy]
1908 words (5.5 pages)
- Introduction One of the challenges for the operations manager in any business is the scheduling of key production activities. There are numerous variables that need to be considered in this planning process. These factors include production capacity, customer demand, supplier performance, design completion, cash flow, and staffing (Heizer, 2011). All these factors come together to create a production plan that can fluctuate based on many external forces. The idea of the master production schedule and the sales and operations plan is to help forecast and meet the required production levels.... [tags: Business Management ]
944 words (2.7 pages)
- Implementation Plan Concepts Worksheet There is clearly no project management structure at Harrison-Keyes. The project is plagued with inefficiencies and problems. Budgets are overrun, deadlines are going unmet, authors are dissatisfied, there is no clear anti-piracy strategy in place, e-commerce hardware and software are not ready to meet demand, and bad publicity threatens to derail the entire project. Many businesses struggle with creating processes that allow them to organize projects while continuing to carry on day-to-day operations (Gray & Lawson, 2005).... [tags: Business Project Management]
871 words (2.5 pages)
- A Study On The Change Of Water Deterioration Of The Study Area ( Fig.3 )
- Should Underage Drinking Be A Critical Problem For Texas Teens?
- Analysis Of The Movie ' The Lives Of Others '
- A True Story Of The Movie ' The Film '
- Analysis Of The Poem ' Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening '
- I Am 22 Year Old