I am the marketing manager for the H. J. Heinz Company’s tomato ketchup, which is a spicy, thick tomato sauce. Tomato Ketchup is used for hamburgers, French fries, spaghetti, sandwiches, and grilled or fried meat. .
The Heinz company has a long history. The German-born Henry John Heinz founded the company in 1869 in Sharpsburg, Pennsylvania. The company’s first product was horseradish, followed by pickles and tomato ketchup. Through the course of time, the company often changed it names and heads. Today we sell 1,300 products worldwide, do business in 200 countries with 41,000 (2005) employees and have a revenue of 8.643 billion USD (2006). Today, the headquarters is in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and currently William R. Johnson is the Chairman, President and CEO (Chief Executive Officer). ¹
This popular product can be bought in 14 oz, 24 oz and 36 oz bottles in all supermarkets. It contains “tomato concentrate made from red ripe tomato, distilled vinegar, high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, salt, spice, onion powder, natural flavouring”. One tablespoon has 15 calories.
To see how this product is marketed locally, I went to a Giant supermarket on 02/07/2008 to get an impression of the prices.
bottle size 14 oz 24 oz 36 oz
Price in dollars 1.59 1.99 2.59
To bring attention to the product, the name is clearly written on the label in fat, huge, black letters. Additional information is highlighted in either red or green. The label’s frame is green and gold. Furthermore, there is the year when the company was founded as well as their slogan “57 varieties”. Clearly, the logo is designed to have a high recognition value. It i...
... middle of paper ...
America’s Choice (Superfresh brand) $1.59 $1.99 /
Hunts $1.79 $2.09 /
Stores other than Giant and Superfresh also have house brands; for example, Shoppers and Safeway. Ketchup is a staple in most American households so it is a logical product for supermarket chains to produce on their own.
Indirect competition comes from barbecue sauces, mustards, tomato sauce and puree, spices, mayonnaise or horseradish. Nevertheless, so far I can tell, there is no other company except for Heinz, which have reduced sugar or organic ketchups. Therefore, our company has an advantage with health- conscious consumers.
² The tabel is drawn up between the H. J. Heinz company website: www.heinz.com,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._J._Heinz_Company and the some brand websites.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- 1) Introduction The H.J. Heinz company is a multinational selling food products globally. In recent years, much positive change has been observed, and the preamble suggests that such changes are largely attributed to the works of William Johnson, the former CEO. The following section would thus examine the managerial functions and roles performed by Johnson. 2) Managerial Functions Fayol identified the classical managerial functions as planning, organizing, commanding, controlling, and coordinating(Carroll and Gillen, 1984), of which the first 4 were identified by Hitt(2012) as being the principal functions(PODC) applicable in contemporary workplaces.... [tags: manegerial function, William Johnson, roles]
1082 words (3.1 pages)
- Goal Find a job about product management from a local company which can sponsor international students in 6 months. From now on, 3 months before graduation, starting to look for jobs, go to job fair and submit resume on the internet. Transfer to H1B visa in 1 year. And be a product manager in 3-4 years. I choose this year range because most of the recruit and employ requirement for a product manager is 3 to 4 years product management experience. Product Management I did not know what to do at first time.... [tags: international students, business, market]
1523 words (4.4 pages)
- Eliminates 99.9% of bacteria. Purchased from all local stores for 2.20 GBP - 300ml size dispenser bottle. The clinching sales spiel for me was: 'Look after your hands, with thyme and tea tree oil. ' And in bold: A BLEND OF NATURAL HERBS & MINERALS. Knowing this 'Radox ' brand entered the natural product sector gave me confidence. Because it was natural, I knew I wasn 't introducing my hands to an alien substance - yes, this made the difference. - - - We all know the cleansing process: after ridding content from the bowel and bladder...... [tags: Hygiene, Hand washing, Tea tree oil, Antiseptic]
1068 words (3.1 pages)
- Rachel seems to be well-organized and has sound time management skills for a project manager. She creates a daily to-do list to keep her focused on achieving her most important objectives. Rachel is able to identify and focus on the activities that matter most. She seems to have the concept of the 80/20 rule or the Pareto Principle which is the idea that by doing 20% of the work you can produce 80% of the benefit of doing the whole job. She spends time focusing on risks and issues. She uses her team to create ideas and create solutions.... [tags: Management, Project management, Project manager]
706 words (2 pages)
- I do not recall experiencing the leadership labyrinth as it pertained to my own work, however, I have observed this happening to others. I worked for a company in which I was one of three managers, each working a different shift. There was a business manager that we reported to, who then reported to a regional manager. A regional manager is in charge of an entire area, which can sometimes be an entire state and other times just part of one, depending on size and population density. The other two managers were my peers, holding roughly the same position I did, and both were women.... [tags: Management, Leadership, Organization, ManaGeR]
850 words (2.4 pages)
- Product Life Cycle and Communication The project manager would be able to endure through each phase of the product life cycle; initiation, planning, execution and closure because the production stages of; analysis, design, develop, implement and evaluate are similar to the phases of product life cycle. The product manager will need to have teambuilding skills in every phase especially in the initiation stage and planning stages. The project manager would need to use their observation and analyzation skills in the execution phase of the product life cycle.... [tags: Project management, Project manager]
2065 words (5.9 pages)
- What makes a great manager. “Despite differences in their personal attributes, successful managers all excel in making, honoring, and remaking of commitments” (Sull, 2005). Commitments take many forms from capital investments to personal decisions to public statements. A mangers commitment defines what a business can and cannot do as well as the businesse’s strengths and weaknesses (Sull, 2005). However, while all good managers should be able to make, honor, and remake commitments the type of certifications, degrees, license, and experience the person will need in order to successfully do these things will depend on what type of business the manager is running (large, small, selling products... [tags: commitments, good manager, swot analysis]
1187 words (3.4 pages)
- A person, full of responsibility and the same level of authority required completing a project. If a person does not have high levels of both responsibility and authority then it will not be a ‘Project Manager’. The title ‘Project Manager’ has come to be used generically to describe anyone given responsibility to complete a project. Also, it describes the activities that meet specific objectives and be used to introduce or improve new or existing products and services. As a Project Manager, if he could prove excellent leadership and interpersonal skills, he will be able to improve his skill to co-ordinate and handle his project.... [tags: Leadership, Interpersonal Skills, Manager]
1093 words (3.1 pages)
- Work of the Manager in Practice and Theoretical Explanations Introduction "Manager is someone who works with and through other people by coordinating their work activities in order to accomplish organisational goals" (Robbins et al 2006, p8). Management is the process of coordinating and harmonizing people and activities towards achieving a goal efficiently and effectively (Robbins et al 2006). This project is mainly focus on the research that I did by interviewing a manager. It is analysis of jobs perform by a modern manager comparing to the theoretical aspects of management.... [tags: Business Management Manager]
1437 words (4.1 pages)
- H.J. Heinz Company H.J. Heinz Company, commonly known as Heinz, famous for its “57 Varieties” slogan, was founded in 1869, by Henry John Heinz, in Sharpsburg, Pennsylvania. In 1869, the 25 year old Henry went into business with L. Clarence Noble as “Heinz & Noble.” The first product they launched was none other than horseradish. The sauce was unique in that it was sold in clear glass bottles to display its purity, whereas competitors used colored glass to hide the poor quality of their products.... [tags: essays research papers]
1485 words (4.2 pages)