Universally familiar to college students, procrastination is a perpetual occurrence that many students encounter throughout their learning experience. According to Rebecca Klein from the Huffington Post, “Approximately 87 percent of [the 13,000 polled students] said they procrastinate on school assignments.” Many of which spend their time on social media and watching television (Huffington Post). Procrastinating is the action of delaying or postponing any action and similarly, a college student defines it as putting off an assignment until the very last possible moment to complete it. As a result of procrastination, students often pull all nighters in order to finish their assignment, which then causes a massive amount of preventable stress. Additionally, the quality of the work may not reach its full potential and will result in a lower grade because of the lack of time that was allotted, which also could have been preventable. Due to this, students may potentially fail becaus...
... middle of paper ...
...ination allows students to learn how to develop their time management skills by allotting more time to plan ahead. In addition, the quality of work is without a doubt greater because of the absence of pressure and anxiety. Time management skills develops efficiency in work, organization and reduces stress, making success is more likely to be obtainable.
In contrast, Jin Nam Choi, an associate professor of organizational behavior from Seoul National University finds that procrastinating to be a prevalent behavior among students and adults, developing their ability to successfully complete tasks. Choi speculates that “active procrastination is an observable behavioral characteristic that encompasses a person’s affective preference for time pressure, cognitive decision to procrastinate, behavioral capacity to meet deadlines, and ability to achieve satisfactory outcomes.”
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The world is filled with billions of people. Each one of them being unique in their own way none of them are the same. Although they are all different there is a unique characteristic that they all share or in other words have in commun. what is amazing about it is that they don 't even notice it. right now you might be thinking to yourself what exactly is that characteristic that makes us humans similar to one another in a way. Well you see no matter what race, culture ethnicity, skin color, or even the language you speak, we are all “procrastinators”.... [tags: Time management, Procrastination, Perfectionism]
1191 words (3.4 pages)
- I would like to introduce to you to a special someone. However, I have a feeling you might have already met him. His name is Procrastinator. Procrastinator is misunderstood, mistreated, and punished at times. Procrastinator is always thought to be the bad guy because he is a “bad influence.” On the other hand, Procrastinator has more to offer than dark circles and sleep deprivation. He teaches you a lesson about time management, responsibility, and owning up to your actions. There are no exceptions to anyone when it comes to procrastination.... [tags: School Work, Life Lesson]
1472 words (4.2 pages)
- Operant conditioning about sleep procrastination Introduction There are many bad habits these days and the most serious one for me is stay up late all the time and not energetic enough in the morning. This behavior is called sleep procrastination. Just as the words from the researchers at Utrecht University, “pre-bed procrastination is the latest diagnosable strain of mismanaged time, stopping us from shutting off when we should and causing us to fritter away valuable snoozing opportunities on unnecessary tasks.” Indeed, such tiny behavior has already spread out the entire campus and wastes energy and time.... [tags: Operant conditioning, Extinction, Reward system]
899 words (2.6 pages)
- The words “essay” or “writing” are the words that sound like nails on a chalkboard to my ears. The word “reading” falls into that category occasionally when I have to read a book that I’m truly not interested in. Those words are also the very reason I put English 1101 off until second semester of freshman year. The words are not my real enemy though, procrastination is. Beginning in elementary school, reading was my favorite thing to do. Whenever I visit my mother’s house, I’m constantly reminded of how well I had done in school with reading by all of trophies and certificates in the living room.... [tags: Writing, Essay, High school, Middle school]
1548 words (4.4 pages)
- Our text book, authored by Richmond, McCroskey, and Hickson (2012), identified three psychological time orientations, pat, present, and future orientations. Past-orientation refers to people who “place high regard on the past, the reliving of past events, and cherishing past happiness” (p. 194). These types of people allow the present to shaped by past events. This orientation can be related to procrastination because, if you have a project deadline (i.e. essay or school project) but you didn’t get as good a grade on the last assignment, you may relive those moments and think that you 'll fail because thats what happened the first time around.... [tags: Procrastination, Time management, Time, The Work]
1091 words (3.1 pages)
- Monday, the beginning of the week, like usual I got up very early to go to school. In school I was very sleepy just like every Monday. I didn’t feel like doing anything of the work the teacher instructed us to do, just like most people in class. So there I was sitting, then I started to daydream, I daydreamed about the boy I liked and me going out on a date just watching a movie and spending the day together. It was then that I looked at the clock and realized that more than fifteen minutes had passed and the class was over.... [tags: Procrastination, ]
635 words (1.8 pages)
- This is my self-assessment paper. I am going to explain how my writing has changed since my first day of class. I am also going to explain some of my strengths and weaknesses as a writer and how I have improved my writing also about some goals that I have, to become a better writer. Before I enrolled into this English class, I knew my strengths were limited as a result of being out of school for a long time, I had forgotten most of the writing rules. Last semester I took English 101 with a lab which helped me refresh my memory on grammar, punctuation and helped me organize my thoughts.... [tags: Writing, Better, Thought, Essay]
818 words (2.3 pages)
- Procrastination is the act of putting off doing things at a later time or date for no particular reason. For the person experiencing procrastination it can be either functional or dysfunctional according to the degree of the behavior (qtd. in Sweitzer 11). A person that procrastinates must realize they have a problem and find effective ways to overcome procrastination because they are putting their health, family and job at risk. According to Joseph Ferrari, a Professor of psychology at DePaul University, states that twenty percent of people realize they are chronic procrastinators which is a lifestyle to them.... [tags: Procrastination]
1328 words (3.8 pages)
- According to the text, procrastination is avoiding the less important things in one’s field of study or interest and paying attention to the more important things pertaining to one’s field of study. For example, if a student is seeking a degree in psychology and has an assignment due, he or she might forgo shopping to complete that assignment. Good and Bad Procrastination written by Paul Graham, with the purpose being about different types of procrastination include the difference between procrastinating and putting something less important off until later.... [tags: Procrastination]
731 words (2.1 pages)
- I had a month to submit my research paper, so I didn’t have to start doing it right away. Surprisingly, I put it off for 27 days and now I only had 3 days to finish it. Knowing the due date was near; I jumped up on my table and started to write. Unfortunately, I couldn’t believe that choosing a tiny topic for my paper was a challenging task for me. Then, I decided to work on it another day. Only 2 days were left for the deadline, it was Sunday, so I had to go to work and came home late at night, too tired to use my brain for anything.... [tags: Procrastination, Time management, Perfectionism]
1497 words (4.3 pages)