The objective for this lab was for each individual to make a truck bed from a 1010 steel metal sheet. The individual would learn the process of bending the the metal, designing a shape based on dimensions, and shearing off parts that lack purpose in the design. This process of designing the truck bed takes time, precision, and carefulness. From this process one learns the basics of forming, and all the basic equipment required to create a truck bed.
Modern day manufacturing provides us with a vast array of metal forming processes to choose from. Sheet metalworking includes cutting and forming operations performed on relatively thin sheets of metal . Its most most commonly done as a cold working process performed on low carbon steel with thickness ranging between 0.4 mm and 6 mm . Thus sheet metalworking is associated with accuracy of dimensioning and good surface finish. Of course, there are are downsides to sheet metalworking as there would be with any other process in the world of manufacturing. Forming sheet metal at room temperatures requires significant amounts of force. Nonetheless, sheet metalworking best suits our needs in this case, as it allows to choose from an array of operations including spinning, bending, punching, shearing, and many more.
Tools, Equipment, Materials
The tools and materials required for this lab are sheet metal blank 4” x 4.25” (1010 steel), floor shears, bench shears, hand shears, rivets, markers/pencils, notchers, calipers,
hand punches, pedestal punches, benders, finger benders, hammers, hand seamers, rivet sets, anvil, welding gloves, spot welder, hand file and blank shears.
Methods and Procedures
The process begins with a 1010 steel sheet metal blank. ...
... middle of paper ...
...s truck bed was a project perfectly suited for sheet metalworking, for it provided us with a vast array of operations to choose from.
When shearing off the metal, it is better to shear the piece off about a mm away from where you want to shear the section because the machine either bends or takes a little more of the metal than what we desire. Another observation is when bending the metal the metal does not always bend on the desired line, therefore if one is going to bend the metal just like the shearing it would be best for the desired parts to be bent at least a mm away from the line which is the bending marker. It is always best to bend less because the more metal you bend the short the box.
 Groover, Mikell P. "Chapter 14/Sheet Metalworking." Introduction to Manufacturing Processes. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley, 2012. 304-335. Print.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Introduction: One of the clinical skills which I become competent in during my clinical placement is bed washing a patient. I had little or no knowledge of how to wash a patient in a hospital before and this training has provided me an ample opportunity to learn this skill. The reflective model I have chosen to describe my essay is Gibbs model (Gibbs 1998).Gibbs model of reflection is one of the most popular models of reflection and divided into six step process of reflective cycles. These are incorporates in the following: Description of the event, feelings, evaluation, analysis, conclusion, and action plan.... [tags: The Gibbs Model]
1359 words (3.9 pages)
- Overview A system for a football club is to be designed that will ensure that the same information has being passed on to all parents of the relevant under-age players with regards to match details. The system is to replace a current text messaging service that has proven to be unsuccessful due to communication issues between team managers and the person in charge of the text system. The system is expected to pass the responsibility of communicating the information to the Football Management System where match fixtures can only be updated by the manager of the relevant team.... [tags: Designing IT System]
2632 words (7.5 pages)
- The Meaning of the Pick-Up Truck The movie “Smoke Signals” was directed by Chris Eyre and the story line was written by Sherman Alexie, an extremely well known, and a personal favorite of mine, writer. Together and the help of many Native Americans, they created a movie following the journey of two teen Coeur D 'Alene Native American boys traveling to Arizona trying to retrieve Victor’s fathers remains. Thomas tags along with Victor while traveling from Idaho on bus and on foot. Throughout the bus ride, Victor teachers Thomas how to be a “real Indian.” Thomas, an avid storyteller, fills the trip with stories about Victors’ father.... [tags: Mother, Father, Family, Pickup truck]
1141 words (3.3 pages)
- The Man’s Truck In the last thirty-eight years, Ford has known how to target the audience they have for the F- series of trucks. After the new advertisement that Ford produced it can be implied that they replicated their success again. With the first commercial being aired on television and online during the 2014 college football playoffs, Ford had a marketing strategy. It is apparent in almost all of the advertisements, including this one that Ford produced is to showcase the newest and the best of the best F-Series of trucks and that they aim to get all the hard working American man.... [tags: Pickup truck, Ford F-Series, Dearborn, Michigan]
1003 words (2.9 pages)
- Washington, D.C. was the first capital in the world to be strategically chosen, designed and built. It was established by President George Washington. Washington was given this power to select a permanent capital under the terms of the Constitution (1787) and the Residence Act of 1790, which authorized him to pick an exact location for the country’s new, permanent capital city as well as to choose commissioners to plan and build it within ten years . The process of designing Washington is considered an example of what historic preservationists have defined as urban planning today.... [tags: process of designing Washington]
1459 words (4.2 pages)
- The Process of Designing a Website To begin the process of designing a web site you should create a paper prototype of five linked web pages. Paper prototyping is a variation of usability testing where users perform realistic tasks by interacting with a paper version instead of a computer. With this we can obtain feedback from the user and then it be dealt with before creating a web page. The think-aloud technique is concerned with the behaviour of an individual when performing a task.... [tags: Papers]
935 words (2.7 pages)
- Ans.1: Strategic Management is a non-stop process of designing, checking, examining and calculating output of all that is necessary for a company to fulfil its aim and destination. The strategic management process includes employees from different areas within an association to work as a team. The association gets many choices from a team and move forward with the best choice. Strategic management is a long-term planning and helps the organization to expand and to improve its performance in the market.... [tags: Strategic management, Organization, New Zealand]
769 words (2.2 pages)
- Effect of the Feed Particle with Various Components on the Separation Behavior for Coal Beneficiation in the Gas–Solid Dense Phase Fluidized Bed Coal, as the primary energy resource, could be effectively cleaned with the air dense medium fluidized bed (ADMFB) and have great significance for the society development. In this study, the particle behavior of feed particles with various components was theoretically analyzed. The effect of gas velocity, bed height, and the number of middle particle (Gmiddle) on the separation efficiency was investigated.... [tags: Chemical engineering, Separation process]
1166 words (3.3 pages)
- Most people think that there is a set way of doing things when it comes to restoring a truck. Take it apart, fix it up, and put it back together. In a sense, this is the basis of how to go about it. Restoring a truck is a very involved process and can be approached many different ways, in which there are a different set of steps to take for each method. Depending on what condition the truck is in and what the truck will be used for all go into the decision making process. This is a very important decision which will have an effect on the outcome of a truck.... [tags: Restoration]
2510 words (7.2 pages)
- Fear and Tension in The Landlady and A Terribly Strange Bed The two short stories 'The Landlady' and 'A Terribly Strange Bed' create fear and tension in two very separate ways. For example, A Terribly Strange Bed is a detective story where a man wins money at a gambling house, spends the night somewhere and when he lies in bed the canopy lowers trying to suffocate him. But he gets away and wants to find out why the people have made up such a machine when they could just smother him themselves and throw him in the river with no complications.... [tags: Landlady Strange Bed Essays]
1048 words (3 pages)
- Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare
- Smoking Life Away: The Harmful Effects of Smoking Cigarettes
- The Great Sphinx of Giza
- Depictions and Contrasts of Empowerment and Heritage in Alice Walker's Every Day Use
- Persuasive Essay: The United States is not The Greatest Country in The World
- The Lasting Impact of Alfred Hitchcock’s Psycho