In the beginning SCADA system was locally introduced, and it has been applied to larger and wide-area systems as the information technology evolves.
As SCADA system expands to wide area, it has been connected to common communication infrastructure while it was a locally independent control system network initially.
A SCADA system allows an operator to make set point changes on distant process controllers, to open or close valves or switches, to monitor alarms, and to gather measurement information from a location central to widely distributed process, such as an oil or gas field, pipeline system, or hydroelectric generating complex .
SCADA systems were originally local to a site to control the control system in that, and used its own network for control communication.
The utilization of Supervisory Control and Data Acqui- sition (SCADA) systems facilities the management with remote access to real-time data and the channel to issue au- tomated or operator-driven supervisory commands to remote station control devices, or field devices.
They are the under- lying control system of most critical national infrastructures including power, energy, water, transportation, telecommunication and are widely involved in the constitutions of vital enterprises such as pipelines, manufacturing plants and building climate control.
Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) syst...
... middle of paper ...
...  need to implement to protect SCADA systems are use of Administrative and Technical Controls and Defense-in-depth.
Understanding how are Internal systems connected to the rest of the SCADA Infrastructure, are External and Internal systems updated with the latest Anti-virus signatures and latest Operating systems patches and Measures to take if security is breached.
The Countermeasures i.e., Line of Defense  techniques suggested are Setting up Multiple VLANs for various types of traffic, Implementing Access Control Lists to dictate traffic flow and administrators suggested to use SSH(encrypted Communication) instead of Telnet for Management and Configuration of network devices.
To stop T1, we use security patterns for physical access control such as the Role-Based Access Control (RBAC) Pattern combined with the Authenticator Pattern and the Logger Pattern.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Introduction Performance measurement and control are very important for any organization either government or business to measure the success of the organization and it is one of the most difficult parts of strategic management (Wheelen & Hunger, 2012). According to Crosson & Needles (2014), Performance measures are “quantitative tools that gauge an organization’s performance in relation to a specific goal or an expected outcome” (p 302). Many studies have suggested that organizations need to use both financial and nonfinancial performance measures to assess their strategies and operations (Milost, 2013).... [tags: computer business, customer complains]
950 words (2.7 pages)
- Operating Systems A computer is useless without an operating system and without it every program would need the full hardware specification to run correctly and perform tasks. An operating system, also known as OS, is a software on the hard drive that allows the hardware of a computer to communicate and operate with the computer software. The OS is the most important software running on a computer because it handles the memory, processes and all of its software and hardware (Operating Systems).... [tags: Operating system, Graphical user interface]
1233 words (3.5 pages)
- Improving the Inventory Process Abstract MMAS manufactures and distributes high-accuracy metering products to the North American utility, sub-metering and industrial markets. The company recently revamped its procurement processes, switching from offshore to domestic parts suppliers for some components to provide more flexibility in its supply chain. Workers at its 100,000 sq ft manufacturing and distribution facility were bogged down with a paper based, manual inventory management process. All inventory moves were written down and key entered into MAPICS on stationary desktop PCs, a time-consuming process that made it difficult to manage the company’s inventory of parts and finished prod... [tags: Automation Technology Business]
1946 words (5.6 pages)
- Networking Computer Systems A network is a group of two or more computer systems sharing services and interacting in some manner. In most cases, this interaction is accomplished through a shared communication link, with the shared components being data. Put simply, a network is a collection of machines that have been linked both physically and through software components to soothe communication and the sharing of information. To make the communications between two or more computers work, several things need to be in place.... [tags: Computer Networks]
2759 words (7.9 pages)
- Overall Analyses of Toyota JOS and PCS Toyota operates its companies anywhere in the world with more precise way, they can manufacture parts of different models of cars of the same category in one factory. Also it produces some parts of the cars’ engines in one factory and then transports them to the production lines to be installed by models. Process costing system is considered the main process that Toyota relies upon to manufacture thousands of its identical products to their customers around the world.... [tags: job order system, engines, hybrid cars]
861 words (2.5 pages)
- If you’d have to name a single function in the organisation that can make or break it, you might mention management. The control of the operations and the people behind them is what management is about and it can be a tougher task than many imagine. So, what could make it easier and guarantee results that are more effective. According to a number of proponents, management control systems can help provide plenty of benefits to organisations of all shapes and sizes. What are these management control systems.... [tags: Management, Control theory, Organization, Control]
809 words (2.3 pages)
- Control Environment The control environment is a very important part of businesses because it is the foundation of the internal controls. It determines whether the ethical values, procedures and rules that provide reasonable assurance control objectives are met. If a business has a poor control environment, their business will not last very long, like Barings Bank. Internal Control Weaknesses From the beginning of this situation, the control environment was weak due to hiring untrained and young staff members to assist Nick.... [tags: Management, Internal control, Auditing]
1270 words (3.6 pages)
- Strategy and control form an important relationship in management accounting as they inform the nature and use of control systems to guide decision makers. Strategy is concerned with strategic issues and the aim of having sustainable competitive advantage. Strategies need to be well thought out as well as specific, measureable, attainable, realistic and timely. Control is the task of setting standards, measuring performance and taking corrective action to ensure objectives are achieved. Strategy and control frameworks provide a means of determining the link between strategy and control.... [tags: Management, Accounting, Control Systems]
1140 words (3.3 pages)
- Hardware and Semiconductor Following a 10% decline in 2013, PC sales are projected 4% declines in 2014. In addition, continued weakness in China might also hurt PC shipments. Severs sales are expected to have 2.9% overall increase in 2014. Among these trends, high-end enterprise servers are forecasted to have 12.6 declines in 2014, and high-end vendor like IBM seeks to get out of the server business, while tablet remains a stand-alone bright spot in hardware business group, mostly at the expense of PCs.... [tags: smartphones, tables, storage capacity]
732 words (2.1 pages)
- Tablet PCs Weighing in at 2.5 pounds the Table PC is the newest creation in the world of portable computers. Instead of having to use a mouse and keyboard this new computer uses only an electronic pen and a few keys. Without even having to hook up to a phone-line you can wirelessly connect to the Internet. While the computer may be small itself its capabilities are far from it. One model of this PC is called the Convertible. This version looks very much like the normal laptop computer we’re used to today.... [tags: Personal Computers]
782 words (2.2 pages)