Teen pregnancy in Oklahoma is a major problem. The teenage birth rate is still the second-highest in Oklahoma even though it has decreased throughout the years (Muchmore). Even though Oklahoma’s teen birth rate has decreased, there are still several teenagers becoming pregnant every day. This shows that something needs to be done in Oklahoma in order for the birth rate to decline. An article called “Teen Pregnancy Prevention” stated, “Three in 10 girls will be pregnant at least once before their 20th birthday. One in five teen moms will have a second child during her teen years.” These numbers are extremely high. These statistics are not something to be proud of. 8 in 10 of all teen births are either unplanned or happened before they were ready to be parents (“Teen Pregnancy Prevention”). Th...
... middle of paper ...
Oberg, Jamie. "Teen Pregnancy Problem Plaguing Oklahoma." Oklahoma's Own. News
9, 24 Jan. 2012. Web. 7 May 2014.
"Study: Free Birth Control Leads to Way Fewer Abortions." CBSNEWS. N.p., 5 Oct.
2012. Web. 7 May 2014.
"Teen Pregnancy Prevention." NCSL. N.p., 1 Apr. 2014. Web. 8 May 2014.
"Teen Pregnancy Prevention." Office of Adolescent Health. N.p., 30 Apr. 2014.
Web. 8 May 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- “Hope is the best contraceptive,” The State of Teen Pregnancy in Oklahoma is crucial, which is why we are Oklahoma—the Teen Pregnancy State. Teen birthrates and increasing pressure from concerned families and health advocates, have finally prompted the state of Oklahoma to step forward and create prevention programs. The question in place is: are these programs enough to make a difference in the gradual rising of our state ranking in teen pregnancy. I have gone through great depths to discover our State’s plans to prevent pregnancies in our teens.... [tags: teen pregnancy, oklahoma, carrera program]
534 words (1.5 pages)
- ... Teen mothers are more likely to drop out of high school than non-pregnant teen girls. Most teenagers that become pregnant end up dropping out of high school or college and most likely don’t finish school. For example the average college graduating student makes more than the average high school dropout. Only 34% of teen mothers that don’t finish out school don’t get to receive their diploma of GED. Sadly less than two percent of teen mother drop outs get their college degree by age 30. The average teen mother drop out costs the nation about $260,000 in taxes and lost earnings that they have to pay back to the schools (Americas Promise Alliance).... [tags: issues in Oklahoma, sex education]
1058 words (3 pages)
- Did you know that 3 in 10 teen girls in the United States will get pregnant at least once before they turn 20 years old. (“Teen Pregnancy”). Or that most teenagers want to be pregnant before they are 20 years old. In 2009 approximately 410,00 teens aged 15-19 gave birth in the United States and the teen birth rate remains higher than other developing countries (“Pazol”). The most shocking news to many teens having kids is that childbearing cost the United States about 9 billion annually and that the national teen birth rate was 39.1 birth per 1,000 and 37% decrease from 61.8 per 1,000 lowest in all records (“Pazol”).... [tags: teen pregnancy essays]
1135 words (3.2 pages)
- The first day of high school, going to prom, learning to drive, graduating, getting a job, and buying the first car – these are some of the memorable events that occur in the life of an average American teenager. However, now more than ever, another event has been added to many teenagers’ lists: becoming a parent. Teen pregnancy is not a new issue; in fact, it has been a rising concern in the United States for decades. Voluntary efforts have been made by organizations such as Healthy Teen Network, The National Campaign, and Advocates for Youth to help reduce the overwhelming existence of teen pregnancy.... [tags: teen pregnancy]
1273 words (3.6 pages)
- ... These teens realize what it really takes to have a baby, take the correct precautions. These shows do help teens to learn how to have safe sex. The shows have a website that is meant to help teens to be safe. There is a study that shows that the websites that are created to teach teens about safe sex has decreased the number of teen pregnancies. “The teen birth rate in 2012 marks a historic low. Between 1990 and 2012, the teen birth rate was halved from 60 births per 1,000 teens to 29 births per 1,000 teens” ( The Annie E.... [tags: Teenage pregnancy, Adolescence, Pregnancy]
910 words (2.6 pages)
- ... But when everyone is out their helping them out, how are other teenagers going to learn and see that having baby is not easy. A teenager parent are yet another person who gets hurt by all of this, no parents wants their kid to throw their life away by having a baby. Every adult knows what the cost of having a family, but having a family without a degree or anything that what makes them even more worry. “To some parents, the news that you 're having a baby will feel like a terrible crisis. Depending on their beliefs, cultural values, or personalities, parents might feel shame, guilt, or embarrassment.... [tags: Adolescence, Pregnancy, Teenage pregnancy, Parent]
1006 words (2.9 pages)
- The Problem of Teen Pregnancy Red and blue lights are flashing and the noise of the ambulance impels everyone to a point where they have to look outside and observe the situation, as if a mystical force was compelling them. From what they can see, the paramedic is holding a tiny hand telling her to hold on. As the stretcher rolls by, the onlookers notice a huge lump, or ball as a few may say, under the pallid cotton covers.... [tags: Argumentative, Pregnancy]
1608 words (4.6 pages)
- There are many tough decisions and problems that teen have to face all around the world. Sometimes teens decide to take the easy way out of a problem by killing themselves. What causes a teen to take such drastic measures. It could be criticism from people for the mistake that that teen made. It could also be shame that their parents feel for them, sometimes the parents are so disappointed with the mistake that their teen has made that they even kick them out of their house. Teens than feel like the whole world is against them and that they are on their own.... [tags: Pregnancy, Birth control]
942 words (2.7 pages)
- To the parents that believe the infectious disease known as teen pregnancy doesn’t apply to their kids or it can’t possibly happen to your innocent teen, you 're sadly mistaken. Once your daughter or son reaches the age the teen years and their hormones begin influencing their minds, they will give in and engage in sexual activities. All adolescents are hormone driven, lustful creatures. The matter of teen pregnancy is growing at a rapid pace and it 's up to the adults of the world to put an end to it.... [tags: Adolescence, High school, Pregnancy]
793 words (2.3 pages)
- Factors that Lead to Teen Pregnancy Although the overall rate of teen pregnancy has been declining, the rates have remained high for teens that are most vulnerable. The great majority of Americans believe that teen pregnancies are a serious national problem, indeed a problem that is the major component of what is thought to be national moral decline. However, what causes these teens to become pregnant at such a young age. A large body of research has identified a number of factores that underlie teen sexual and contraceptive behavior, pregnancy, and childbearing.... [tags: Teen Pregnant Pregnancy Essays]
1357 words (3.9 pages)