The statutory rape laws in the United States are in place to protect adolescents from rape. The dictionary definition of statutory rape is “sexual intercourse with a minor.” The difference between rape and statutory rape is that rape is an adult sexually abusing an adult, and statutory rape is an adult sexually abusing a minor. Statutory rape can occur when an adult and a minor have sex, even if it is voluntary on both sides. (North Carolina General Assembly) In each state, there is an age of consent, which is the age that a person can legally consent to sexual intercourse. There is also an age differential, which is amount of years that the victim and the offender can be apart. In most states, statutory rape is referred to as “sexual offense of a person who is 13, 14 or 15 years old. (“Summary of Current State”) In the laws surrounding rape in North Carolina, the laws that pertain to statutory rape are referred to as “Rape of a child; adult offender.” This offense is considered a class B1 felony. This offense does not cover sexual acts, such as sexual contact, or oral sex. The law that pertains to statutory rape for sexual acts is a would be a first degree sexual offense. (North Carolin...
... middle of paper ...
...al Abuse 22.7 (2013): 00000 858-877. Academic Search Complete. Web. 12 Nov. 2013.
Roth, Norah M. "It's Not Rape-Rape: Statutory Rape Classification Under The Armed Career 00000 Criminal Act." St. John's Law Review 85.4 (2011): 1653-1680. Academic Search Complete. 00000 Web. 13 Nov. 2013.
Sahl, Daniel, and Jennifer Reid Keene. "The Effects Of Age, Authority, And Gender On Perceptions Of 00000 Statutory Rape Offenders." Journal Of Interpersonal Violence 27.18 (2012): 3701-3722. 00000 Academic Search Complete. Web. 12 Nov. 2013.
"Statutory Rape Provision Violated Minor's Federal Constitutional Rights." Child Law Practice 30.6 00000 (2011): 82-83.Academic Search Complete. Web. 12 Nov. 2013.
"Summary of Current State Laws." Statutory Rape: A Guide to State Laws and Reporting 00000 Requirements:. US Department of Health and Human Services, n.d. Web. 01 Nov. 2013.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... Jepsen and Lisa K. Jepsen writes of "the effects of statutory rape laws on non-marital teenage childbearing." states that, “Many policy makers view the enforcement of statutory rape laws as a way to reduce teenage childbirths. For example, the district attorney's office in Riverside, California, received a $150,000 state grant to fund a statutory rape prosecution team in 1996 (Morgan 1996). California Governor Pete Wilson remarked in his State of the State address that "it's not macho to get a teenager pregnant, but if you lack the decency to understand this yourself we'll give you a year to think about it in county jail" In summer 2004, the state of Virginia used federal money for statu... [tags: pregnancy, statutory rape, teenagers]
1229 words (3.5 pages)
- The first reason why a minor consenting to have sex with someone three years or older than them should not be considered statutory rape is because teens need to be more informed about sex then left to decide on their own. William Keating, Norfolk County District Attorney, says “I came into this job thinking that this generation of young people would be much more sexually aware than any other generation, especially my own, but that’s just not the case.”(Walker 3). It really is surprising just how many people are unaware and Keating clearly notes this point.... [tags: teenagers having intercourse]
917 words (2.6 pages)
- In this scenario, it seems as if John will be charged with Statutory rape. The young lady that came out the bar and was going back to his dorm said she was 16. Statutory rape is sexual intercourse with a minor. Even though she said she was 16, she was really 19. So the girl was not underage and could in fact consent for herself. His defense will be she is not underage. As goes for John, the female who was 19 and the 250 pound baby tiger that walked out of the improperly latched cage nothing happened.... [tags: Tort, Tort law, Negligence, Law]
1165 words (3.3 pages)
- You have asked me to write a paper based on the issue of rape kits in America being untested. Some of the questions to be addressed are, could the United States police departments be held liable for the amount of unprosecuted rapists and backlogged rape kits based on a theory of criminal negligence and or a theory of disruption of justice. Could police offices across the country be held liable for the mental stability and self-destructive states of the victims they have failed based on the same theories stated above.... [tags: Rape, Sexual assault, Police, Statutory rape]
1235 words (3.5 pages)
- According to Merriam Webster statutory rape is the crime of having sex with someone who is younger than an age that is specified by law. Depending on the state the ages vary. The sex could be forcible or not forced. As many know it is considered rape if sexual intercourse is within a four year age difference. However, people may not realize that it is illegal for a seventeen year old and an eighteen year old to have sex under statutory rape laws. Even though the two people are only a year apart it is still considered rape if brought into court.... [tags: Rape, Sexual intercourse, Statutory rape]
961 words (2.7 pages)
- The rules of statutory interpretation are a guide for judges to decide what parliament means in statutes. The judge would look towards the rules for assistance when faced with a statute, which is difficult to apply to the given facts . There are three main rules. The literal rule requires that words must be viewed in their plain and ordinary meaning, even if there is some sort of absurdity . The golden rule requires words to be given their natural meaning to the extent where they do not produce absurdity .... [tags: Statutory interpretation, Plain meaning rule]
1284 words (3.7 pages)
- Statutory Rape Laws The term “statutory rape” is used when the government considers people under a certain age to be unable to give consent to sex and therefore consider sexual contact with them to be a rape. The age at which individuals are considered to give consent is called the age of consent. The age of consent can ranging from thirteen to twenty-one, depending on the limits set by each state in accordance with local standards of morality. Even sex that violates the age-of-consent laws but is neither violent nor physically forced is described as statutory rape.... [tags: essays research papers]
1089 words (3.1 pages)
- The stranger rape scenario was about a women walking home after having coffee with her friends and a man just comes up to her and sexually assaults her. Study 1 concentrated on blameworthiness based on the scenario presented to the participants randomly; that being a scenario of acquaintance or stranger rape. Study 2 focused on sentence length for perpetrators recommended by participants based on type of rape. For both, study one and two they had used Likert scales to determine blameworthiness and sentence and to measure benevolent sexism in relation to study one and two.... [tags: Rape, Sexual intercourse, Statutory rape]
1004 words (2.9 pages)
- According to the Department of Justice National Crime survey, every 2 minutes someone is raped or sexually assaulted in the U.S. Just March 16, 2013, two high school football players were convicted of rape. One offender asserted” I just needed some sexual attention,” and the girl was too drunk to answer, but did this give them permission to have sex with the girl without her permission. Emphatically no, even though the offender will say the victim gave them a reason under no circumstances does anyone deserves to be assaulted.... [tags: Rape, Sexual intercourse, Sexual assault]
1154 words (3.3 pages)
- DATE RAPE Introduction I’m assuming that you 've all heard of date rape. Apart from knowing what the physical side of rape is, there are many students who aren 't aware of the facts in depth of what really happens in these circumstances. So today I’m going to briefly talk about this. I‘m sure you’ll all agree with me that it’s quite scary at any time learning about date rape, but so much worse if you become a victim. No one wants to be a victim, so it’s important that we know about the drugs used and furthermore, what to do if you become a victim.... [tags: Rape, Date rape drug, Sexual intercourse]
1011 words (2.9 pages)